Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he's from either England or the US, then I'll personally buy a f'ing expensive planet-ticket to where ever he lives, and beat the living sh#t out of him until he gets an A+!

Nah, You're in the safe-zone - I'm not violent a violent man IRL... But still - DO YOUR HOMEWORK! )

Comment

Originally posted by CWhatcott
      I see that a lot of you guys have your heads way up in the clouds. This isn't about the future. Its about an unacceptable grade RIGHT NOW.

Fix it and move on.
      when you change the present your affecting the future, take a few mins to think about that

besides wow a C like oh no not a C how bad can it get its a still a pass right?

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
        when you change the present your affecting the future, take a few mins to think about that
        Sounds like time travel to me.

Comment

besides wow a C like oh no not a C how bad can it get its a still a pass right?
          I took a moment to think about how much a C screws up a decent GPA.

If you wanna get into a future discussion, then why don't YOU think about your own children. Would you want your son/daughter (who is perfectly capable of getting an A) to get a C, just because they've been dicking around and not doing their homework? Would you do something about it? If not, I would call that bad parenting.

Comment

I want them to be rich and successful so they can support me in my old age like God intended. If they don't have the potential for that all the good grades in the world aren't going to help, so why make them miserable now. There'll be plenty of time for that later on.

Comment

Originally posted by CWhatcott
              I took a moment to think about how much a C screws up a decent GPA.

If you wanna get into a future discussion, then why don't YOU think about your own children. Would you want your son/daughter (who is perfectly capable of getting an A) to get a C, just because they've been dicking around and not doing their homework? Would you do something about it? If not, I would call that bad parenting.
              well thats exactly what i did, i should of got good grades but i never not cause of the computer but cuz of other stuff that i aint guna go into right now my point being that i still got into college im still doing my IT course and im still gunna end up coming out of Uni with my diploma and most likely will go on to get a good job earning good money. . .

i dunno maybe its just because of the diferance between the england and america but over here grades REALLY mean nothing, and tbh is a C really that bad i would happy for my child (not that im planning on having one right now ) to get a C and i would be pleased and proud of them for passing. . . pushy parents that expect only the best end up ruining the childs life

[-EDIT-]

ofcourse thats just my view, no offence intended

Comment

Ok so he ****ed up and made 1 C.

I don't care how ****ing smart you think you are, or how long you labored over your grades - parents aren't going to solve anything by taking away his computer. In the end, he will probably resent them more for it.

Most of what you learn doesn't even get used... as you said you aced calc.. are you going into mathematics? I passed algebra and all that **** but i'm never going to use it in the field I enter.

A c might not be acceptable to asshats like you or stuck up parents but **** happens.

BTW you can get paid for knowing PHP and UED... quite a bit actually. If you wanted you could make tons of money JUST by doing those things. Not to say I would, but computers have a huge industry, and it's good money. Look at AngelMapper, I think in her bio it said she started just playing around making maps, and now she's a professional. I bet she wouldn't be making that money if she had her nose crammed in a super-rocket-science-i'm never going to use this **** in my life-calc class. Anyways, heres the bottomline.

Yes, he lowered his grade

Yes, he can do better next time

What you fail to realize CWhatcott is that all that hardwork and **** really won't get much use in the field you work in. (unless it is your field, then you would want to study your *** off)

Comment

pushy parents that expect only the best end up ruining the childs life
                  I don't take offense to that at all. This kid sounds like he has the potential to be getting a better grade than C. That is why I would push him and get him to prioritize better.

On the other hand, my little brother is AWFUL with school. He just doesn't have whatever it takes to get good grades on his own. But my mom has always pushed him along and he gets decent grades (B's and A's). But if he got a C, I'm sure my mom would not be as upset with him as she would have been with me.

Its all relative... and this kid sounds like he should be getting an A, not a C.

Comment

This is what you do: I will assume your parents work, and that they drive to work. Tonight take all the keys to your parents cars (remember there are usually two of them). Place those keys in a box and place them in a hole in your backyard that you have pre-dug earlier on. Then arange for a horse and buggy to pick them up and take them to work. What this will do:

1. They will realize how much it sucks to have someone take away something that you use in daily life.

2. They took your computer away, now you have to do things the old fashion way, use the telephone, write mail (not e-mail), and write essay's by hand and entertain yourself without the help of a BFG 6800 GT 256 MB Graphics card that is overclocked to Ultra speeds and cooled by an Arctic Cooler Rev. 5. With the horse and buggy you have done the same to them, they have to go back to the old fashion way of doing stuff.

This will teach you and them a valuable lesson. Problem solved.

Comment

LMAO

lol, i know i sohudln't be laughing at your expense, but I find it hard to see how your parents feel they must **** on you for ONE C ? lmao, i would kill to have grades like u (B-A)

Comment

sasuke-kun.... don't even start with me buddy. You obviously have no idea what it really takes to make it in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagel Fish
                          LMAO

lol, i know i sohudln't be laughing at your expense, but I find it hard to see how your parents feel they must **** on you for ONE C ? lmao, i would kill to have grades like u (B-A)
                          i dont think you would.

Comment

Originally posted by sasuke-kun
                            BTW you can get paid for knowing PHP and UED... quite a bit actually. If you wanted you could make tons of money JUST by doing those things. Not to say I would, but computers have a huge industry, and it's good money. Look at AngelMapper, I think in her bio it said she started just playing around making maps, and now she's a professional. I bet she wouldn't be making that money if she had her nose crammed in a super-rocket-science-i'm never going to use this **** in my life-calc class.
                            There it is. The very thing I have always believed about school, and have always tried to impress upon others.

School - Meh.

I'm not dumb. I'm quite intelligent. If I were to have applied myself 100% this year, I would probably have topped our school (I was 4th, meh). But you know what? 10 years from now, my B compared to someone else's A will mean NOTHING. A year from now, it will mean NOTHING. A month from now, IT WILL MEAN NOTHING. You know why? Here's a good example as to why:

My girlfriend is absolutely brilliant at mathematics. She can do calculus like a ***** does crack, which is a lot, and quickly

Thus, she consistently beats me at the higher-level maths stuff.

However

If she tries to use any branch of mathematics in a real world sense, she falls flat on her face, "Mark how do I do it?". While she may be able to dictate pages of a maths textbook from memory, she has no concept of what it actually means. She's a computer. Woop.

Similarly, A friend of mine (he was the one that topped the school) has an amazing drive to do his work. Does all his homework, studies like crazy blah blah blah. I do the exact opposite - **** all work, no homework. I walk into tests and exams and beat him 9/10 times. Why? Because he doesn't LEARN the information, he MEMORISES it. Which is exactly what a school education rewards you on: how much of a book you can remember. What good is remembering it if it doesn't mean anything to you?

Both my girlfriend and my friend, while brilliant at school, have ****-poor life skills. Things like normal, everyday decision making, simple logic, rationalising etc. They fail. F.

And besides, What is the point? Really? We all do the same **** thing: Go to school. Get a job. Work at job. A lot. Retire. Die. GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF

Comment

Actually I think the value of rote memorization is way underestimated these days. Kids naturally start off in a mentally immature state, but you can't wait for them to grow up to teach them things because obviously by that time they're too big to spank. Now some day your buddies' brains might wake up and start working in an adult fashion the way you claim yours has. So if they'd never memorized anything they'd have nothing to think about. It's just as tragic to have an a1 tool and nothing to use it on as the reverse. Um, where the a1 tool is your mind I mean. Though it works the other way too. But that's another topic.

Comment

sasuke-kun.... don't even start with me buddy. You obviously have no idea what it really takes to make it in the real world.
                                I like to think I do. And I side with those who believe that this one C has triggered an ignorant parental response that will create more problems than solve. Doing what you love with conviction and commitment is what matters. The big problem with video games is that while you're *ahem* developing hand-eye co-ordination and all that, you're producing jack & thus not helping society. The computer is a fabulously productive tool when used for the powers of good, and finding that balance when using your computer could be the basis for Placebo's next conversation with his parents.....

Comment

Working...
                                X