This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usahoppy
    It is nothing like the old school days like in the 80s where people had to have some skill. Now, you can go #1 if you say anything having to do with bootys, blunts or 40s. Back in the 80s, before Rap went mainstream, people had to have real skill to make it. People like Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Ja-Rule, Chingy would have never made it big.
    People have no idea how naive they sound these days when they say **** like this. Im not even mad anymore.

You obviously have no clue what kind of talent there is out there. Artists like Jay-z, nas, common, talib kweli, mos def, man I could go on and on have unbelievable talent that mtv and the radio stations dont embrace like the 'booty' songs that youre talkin about.

I hope more people like you would open their ears and take a listen to some of what youre missing. You dont have to like it. But you'll respect it more.

Thanks for helping out commie. :up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by commiecat
      Just so you know, the word "crunk" was coined by Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter. Don't blame the hip-hop artists for that one.

-commiecat
      lmao, you serious Commie? That hillarious. I was not aware of that so i retract that. lol

Now, i have given rap a chance. In fact, i used to listen to it quite often. But you did bring up one great point, MTV and Radio do not embrace the people out there with real talent. My comments were mainly directed at the "main stream" rap that you would see on MTV on radio stations. That is what is giving rap a bad name. Over glamorized "thug life" people with very little talent to back up the image. I still feel that Jay-Z is highly overrated, and is not as good as some other rappers.

If any of the big name rappers, "Battled" a real rapper with some talent, there would be no contest. That is what is killing that genre, and making people like me, say it is ****. I do indeed have respect for the real artists that make their own raps and more importantly, make their own beats. There are just far too few of them out in the public eye, so it taints the entire image to those who do not want to dig deeper because the fluff has turned them off.

But please tell me. Why is "Sampling" from other atrists considered okay in the rap world? Isn't that the same as ripping off someone elses work and passing it off as your own? To me, that is nothting more then someone making a map for UT, then having someone else making minor changes and calling it their own.

Originally posted by Fuzzlebunny
      The overall negativity and flaming opportunists of this community never cease to amaze me. Whatever happened to "I dont like" instead of "they're ****"?
      I have also been trying to keep this fairly "Flame Free". I realize that by using the phrase "rap is ****" some people might take that as something. None of my comments were directed at any one fourmer, if it has seemed like that, i am sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by usahoppy

But please tell me. Why is "Sampling" from other atrists considered okay in the rap world? Isn't that the same as ripping off someone elses work and passing it off as your own? To me, that is nothting more then someone making a map for UT, then having someone else making minor changes and calling it their own.

Sampling is like another genre in hip hop. Every week, dozens of mixtapes are released where artists rap over other peoples beats mainly so they can show us where they stand lyrically. Its completely accepted in hip hop. Thats the difference.

Of course its all a business, so every beat used will have to be paid for to the original beatmaker. Just like if you made a map using an obvious 'sample' from somebody elses. You would need their permission of course to keep yourself from getting sued. You know how it is.

P.S. Thanks for helping keeping this into an actual discussion instead of some dumb 'flame' war. Thats to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
          Hate to break this to you, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who performs on stage who DOESN'T wear mascara.
          Except goths and goth wannabes, I know of very few. But for those that do wear make-up they ought to do it right. Take Oderus Urungus from Gwar, for example:

Comment

I dont like greenday. THeyve been around for way too long. They were cool for a while, but they are milking it for all they got now. I know my bro is a big fan of theres, but even he admits that he likes their old stuff is a lot better.
            As for rap, I used to like it a lot. A lot of the songs are high energy. Then I saw all these freshman palefaced kids, when I was a senior, acting like thugs when they lived in a great area. Listening to songs where the background track was just a shotgun or something lol. I understand its not all rap, but seeing these kids looking so rediculous its hard for me to go out and buy a rap cd. THat along with "Gangsta" rap and eninem really turned me away from rap. I like blackeyed peas lol, but they are pop rap or something. SO they dont count.

Comment

Originally posted by A-1

P.S. Thanks for helping keeping this into an actual discussion instead of some dumb 'flame' war. Thats to all of you.
              Agreed fully.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathPenguin
                Except goths and goth wannabes, I know of very few. But for those that do wear make-up they ought to do it right. Take Oderus Urungus from Gwar, for example:
                yeah gwar. well im not a very big fan of green day, but i respect them. some of there older music is pretty cool, like back in the Dookie days. if {MM}Caboose sees this thread and the people who say green day sucks, he will go balistic. (hes a huge green day fan)

Comment

This thread is now pretty much an open invitation to everyone's personal opinion on music, so before I duck back into HL2, I'm going to say...

I hate 99.5% of mainstream rap, but there is that 0.5% I like. That percentage I like grows alot larger when you look to alot of underground stuff that isn't all about capping your mothers and pimping your *****es.

I really like alot of punk, but again, mainstream stuff is getting on my nerves now. I still like Greenday, but that might just be because their old stuff was so great. Their new stuff is still pretty good, and I could care less about how they dress - it's the music that counts.

I hate country. Period.

I'm a big fan of newer metal - I actually do like alot of the mainstream 'nu-metal.' Not all of it, mind you; some of it is absolute ****. Whenever I hear underground rock or metal, or older rock or metal, I also tend to absolutely love it. I can't really call myself a fan, though, as I don't have near enough exposure to it (though I'd sure love to.) I mean, I know and like the big artists (Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, Etc) but I'm not what you'd call an expert, by any means.

I think I overdid that 'invitation' to my personal tastes, but oh well. Flame on. <4
                  Originally posted by Bullrog
                  i was channel surfing and went onto mtv2 and saw this rap video using the beat from crazy train..... i sursly almost commited suicide right there.
                  That's how I felt when Britney Spears redid 'I Love Rock and Roll.'

Comment

Re: green day sux

Originally posted by SWOOP
                    whats the one song with the same 4 chords over and over?

zzz
                    it's called brain stew.

I'm havin trouble tryin to sleep, i'm countin sheep but runnin out, as time ticks by, still i try....etc

Anyhow, I really like the band, no matter what anyone has to say about them, I myself find talent in them even if some others do not, though I get the feeling that some people will complain and degrade anything that gets brought up, it's in their nature, pessemists. I was unable to go to the concert they had right after the signing due to general admission selling out a couple hours after the tickets went on sale and i'd rather not go to a cocert and sit in some seats a million miles away where you need binoculars to see.

Comment

Originally posted by DJMattB2421
                      i HATE when bands get into politics. like they have ANY **** idea what they're talking about.
                      Do you have ANY **** idea 'bout politics then?

think. PAUSE. post.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                        Hate to break this to you, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who performs on stage who DOESN'T wear mascara.
                        i don't

Comment

Theres only two types of music. Good and bad. And its found in every style.
                          That's not strictly true. There are only two types of music.

Country.

And Western.

Hehe, God I loved the film 'RepoMan'

Comment

That reminds me of those girls you meet at parties that claim they have a very wide music taste. They listen to everything from pop to rock.

Comment

Here's a pic of my CD

Comment

green day is awesome, by far one of my favorite bands. i like their older stuff alot but American Idiot is all-in-all a good cd. of course there are better bands I really don't understand how people count rap as a form of music, its all about cussing and talking to a beat that they stole from someone else.
                                oh, @ an earlier post:
                                brain stew is just a power chord (which uses only 2 fingers on the top two strings) in four different places

Comment

Working...
                                X