Fwd to Epic: The problems with Onslaught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fwd to Epic: The problems with Onslaught

I have enjoyed Onslaught and played it pretty solidly since the demo. I'm far from the best player, but I usually finish in the top couple places in the majority of games. I think I'm going to stop playing it. Rather than just posting "ons sucks. i quit", I thought I'd tell you at least the biggest couple reasons why I no longer enjoy playing it.

1. I haven't checked the notes of each patch, but it seems the avril has been nerfed more and more as we go. It now seems if a vehicle is going more than 5 miles an hour the lock breaks. I'm exaggerating, but not much, when I say this weapon may as well be removed from the game. You can't use it at long range because by the time it covers the distance, your target will be long since gone, and now you can't use it at short range unless the planets are aligned and the lock doesn't break. I've taken to using shock instead but the shock rifles are not nearly plentiful enough to serve double duty. On a map like Artic Stronghold and others where there are always about 4 mantas doing the old continuous mindless circle of running people down and getting behind cover before anyone's avril arrives, it's really aggravating to have your one and only shot at them wasted because the lock breaks.

2. It's just too inherently unbalanced. I know everyone knows this already, but I'm going to say it again anyway. The games are frequently decided in the first couple minutes and will either end in a blowout, or more likely, go on for another 15 or 20 minutes of a long, slow, painful, pointless struggle to retake or get past your first node. That's just getting to be a waste of time. The outcome on the pubs is most often decided when the teams are laid down, but that's another matter. I accepted the imbalance a long time ago, and would try to play for different reasons, such as to see how long I could hold off the annihilation, but it's just gotten stale.

Meh, I could go on, but those are the largest reasons in my mind right now.

I know some people will agree with this, some will say "no kidding asshat", some will disagree, some will tell me to get out if I can't handle it or what have you. It doesn't matter, and I'm not posting this to influence anyone's opinion. I'm just telling you how I feel at the moment. I'm sad, because I enjoyed playing onslaught, and I don't enjoy it anymore. Maybe there's nothing to be done about it for this game, but maybe there are some lessons Epic can take away from the feedback for the future. So anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

How about instead of listing the problems, list some solutions?

Comment

Re: Fwd to Epic: The problems with Onslaught

Originally posted by Sirius=KG=
      I have enjoyed Onslaught and played it pretty solidly since the demo. I'm far from the best player, but I usually finish in the top couple places in the majority of games. I think I'm going to stop playing it. Rather than just posting "ons sucks. i quit", I thought I'd tell you at least the biggest couple reasons why I no longer enjoy playing it.

1. I haven't checked the notes of each patch, but it seems the avril has been nerfed more and more as we go. It now seems if a vehicle is going more than 5 miles an hour the lock breaks. I'm exaggerating, but not much, when I say this weapon may as well be removed from the game. You can't use it at long range because by the time it covers the distance, your target will be long since gone, and now you can't use it at short range unless the planets are aligned and the lock doesn't break. I've taken to using shock instead but the shock rifles are not nearly plentiful enough to serve double duty. On a map like Artic Stronghold and others where there are always about 4 mantas doing the old continuous mindless circle of running people down and getting behind cover before anyone's avril arrives, it's really aggravating to have your one and only shot at them wasted because the lock breaks.

2. It's just too inherently unbalanced. I know everyone knows this already, but I'm going to say it again anyway. The games are frequently decided in the first couple minutes and will either end in a blowout, or more likely, go on for another 15 or 20 minutes of a long, slow, painful, pointless struggle to retake or get past your first node. That's just getting to be a waste of time. The outcome on the pubs is most often decided when the teams are laid down, but that's another matter. I accepted the imbalance a long time ago, and would try to play for different reasons, such as to see how long I could hold off the annihilation, but it's just gotten stale.

Meh, I could go on, but those are the largest reasons in my mind right now.

I know some people will agree with this, some will say "no kidding asshat", some will disagree, some will tell me to get out if I can't handle it or what have you. It doesn't matter, and I'm not posting this to influence anyone's opinion. I'm just telling you how I feel at the moment. I'm sad, because I enjoyed playing onslaught, and I don't enjoy it anymore. Maybe there's nothing to be done about it for this game, but maybe there are some lessons Epic can take away from the feedback for the future. So anyway, I thought I'd let you know.
      I think 1) can mostly be accounted for with lag and such. If you play onslaught offline the lock seems to hold no matter what airborne shenanigans that enemy manta is pulling or how blisteringly fast that scorpion is crashing down the hills on torlan. I guess it's all down to the individual (or their system) using the AVRiL, I never seem to have trouble with it.

2) Is a point that is brought up often, but how could it be dealt with? I mean really, what game isn't effectively decided my the teams playing it? A team full of good players vs a team full of noobs playing a CTF match, it's pretty obvious who's going to win. This is an inherent problem with playing any game online - not everyone is equally skilled. As for actual balance issues, I think lower the power of the ******* goliath or something, that thing is too much of a beast (either that or make it more vulnerable to avrils). I also think Onslaught would be benefited greatly by the complete removal of the Manta, but that's another story entirely.

Good points though. I hope epic does read the flurry of ons posts on these boards of late, as a large number of them have made valid points (a real surprise on these boards :bulb: ).

Comment

Re: Re: Fwd to Epic: The problems with Onslaught

nm, accident. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
          Well, my solution to point 1 would be obvious. As for onslaught as a whole, I don't have a solution. Perhaps the game type will not work in it's current form.

Originally posted by MarZer
          I think 1) can mostly be accounted for with lag and such. If you play onslaught offline the lock seems to hold no matter what airborne shenanigans that enemy manta is pulling or how blisteringly fast that scorpion is crashing down the hills on torlan. I guess it's all down to the individual (or their system) using the AVRiL, I never seem to have trouble with it.

2) Is a point that is brought up often, but how could it be dealt with? I mean really, what game isn't effectively decided my the teams playing it? A team full of good players vs a team full of noobs playing a CTF match, it's pretty obvious who's going to win. This is an inherent problem with playing any game online - not everyone is equally skilled. As for actual balance issues, I think lower the power of the ******* goliath or something, that thing is too much of a beast (either that or make it more vulnerable to avrils). I also think Onslaught would be benefited greatly by the complete removal of the Manta, but that's another story entirely.

Good points though. I hope epic does read the flurry of ons posts on these boards of late, as a large number of them have made valid points (a real surprise on these boards :bulb: ).
          Roger that. There are still going to be unbalancing issues with teams. Some maps contribute to the imbalance more than others as well. For instance, on Torlan, once you have half the map you can just vehicle camp your way to victory from there. On AS and others, the constant stream of mantas is problematic. Goes back to the avril though. It's pretty much your only way to come back from a vehicle deficit on most maps. The biggest issue with this is the time wasting factor. On maps like Dria and others which are harder to close on, you'll always spend 20 minutes losing and retaking your first node with no conceivable chance of a comeback barring huge team changes. It's gotten to be too big a time waster for me.

Originally posted by Baz
          Why do people bother when they knoe Epic doesn't care?
          I'm merely putting my feedback out there. It's up to Epic whether they care or not, or what they do or don't do with the information.

Comment

I only have 2 probs with ons, besides unbalanced teams.

The first is why avrils lock on to turrets, they are stationary, no need for avrils to lock on to them.

The second is the spidermines, they should not be able to automatically attack if that is not your current weapon, you can lay mines, then switch to another weapon and have two weapons. It should only be auto target when you have the mine layer as your current weapon.

Comment

Re: Fwd to Epic: The problems with Onslaught

Originally posted by Sirius=KG=
              You can't use it at long range because by the time it covers the distance, your target will be long since gone
              Partial solution that will reduce but not completely eliminate this problem is hold off on the lock until avril has covered most of the distance.

Comment

Mostly agree with the original poster.

But hey when the game is played by equally skilled players on both side, it is just intense and fun.

Comment

I also think Onslaught would be benefited greatly by the complete removal of the Manta, but that's another story entirely.
                  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Seriously, piloting a manta is one of the most glorious experiences I've had in any video game. They are powerful on medium-sized maps, sure, but mostly transportation/target practice on large ones and close to impotent on small maps/tight spaces. Instead, I would like to see more confined maps for Onslaught developed, where DM skills can take precedence over vehicles (even though the best Onslaught players I've seen nonetheless have mad DM skills ......aka finishing ability).

With respect to balancing vehicles, I would like to see a bit more agility with the Raptor (aka sitting duck)..... who here knows of a Godlike Raptor pilot? I don't.........

My final suggestion for Epic's next patch is to install a little girl that will climb out of a gamer's monitor and disembowel him/her if he/she switches to the winning team after playing a match for more than 5 minutes. :alien:

Comment

weird to hear you say that about the avril - i've been so patient follwing a locked target sometimes that i end up getting kills just around corners when i thought there was no way in hell it could hit....

if a target is TOO close, i know to dodge like heck when they're about to run me over, then lock on them - hopefully - when they fly past me and get a bit further away....

and i can't count the number of times i've been on a server when it looked like one side was winning all the nodes, only to find out how quickly control of them can slip away and the situation become reversed....

but it seems like the ole' lag is starting to creep up a bit, day by day, so it's become a pleasure to jump on a server and have everything go right....

me, i'm more disgusted with the outright cynical nature of many people on pubs lately.

i was on a Torlan map the other day, had played pretty well - scored second on my team - when my left hand started cramping like all get out.
                    i could have bailed right away, but it felt like it was really close to us winning, so i "limped" to the nearest turret in the hopes of at least picking off a straggler or two..
                    some 'swole proceeds to "scream" at me, "hey coffin leave the base you idiot".
                    we won the match right after that so i didn't bother with a tasty response.

i also jumped on the atari forum tonight and apologized with being a little rough in a response to a poster who was a bit cynical.
                    as i said in the post, the community's small enough without discouraging any players.

back on topic, have you tried o/c'ong your vidcard to get the max out of that online cap of 85fps?? :-)

Comment

If a manta is coming straight for you, you cannot just lock an avril. What you have to do is:

1.) move out of the way and then hit the target once it passes you
                      2.) shoot the avril when the manta gets close, but do not right click to lock, just keep your cross hairs on the manta and the avril will hit from the front

The only thing I think Epic needs to change on ONS is to REWARD the people who link with points and take away points from those who change team to be on the winning team after X amount of time or those who never build a node, just fly around and get pancakes....you know who you are!

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
                        hmmmz havent read teh topic starter stuff, but.......
                        nvm just sad :haha: :haha:

Comment

Onslaught is a work in progress, so posting any suggestions for improvement would be a very good idea. It's great to have them presented in a constructive and useful way instead of the usual ********, and it's far more likely to make an impact.

I haven't played much ONS recently so I don't have anything to offer right now, but I encourage everyone to come forth with their suggestions for improvement and present them in a polite manner.

Like it or not, Onslaught, and gametypes like it, are the future of FPS games. They did a pretty good job for a first attempt, let's give them enough useful information to make the next iteration outstanding.

Comment

btw saying ONS is not perfect and isn't the most skilled most strategic thing out there makes you a hater, and gives you aids, acording to the monkey masses

Comment

If you don't like playing ONS and think there are too many problems with it, just quit playing it and quit filling the forums with useless information that 98% of 2K4 players don't give a rats A$$ about anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X