How good is Unwheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is Unwheel?

So, I was thinking about checking out some online racing games. Something to do between frags. Then, I remembered this free UnWheel mod. So a couple questions:

1) Do you like it?
    2) How does it compare with retail driving games?
    3) How is the online play?
    4) Can I start up a server locally and have my buds connect or is serving different from hosting a UT2K4 match?
    5) How badly is it going to hack up my ini files?

Regarding #5, I'm really paranoid that my ini is going to wind up with a ton of required packages which are irrelevant for std UT2K4 (for example, if I record a Ut2K4 demo, nobody without UnWheel can watch it). I'll back it up of course, but I'm just wondering..

1) I like it alot.
    2)pretty **** well.
    3)im not sure aobut servers but I have heard there are a few
    4)yes
    5)as far as I know, it wont.

One of the makers admins my favourite forums http://unreal.co.za/forums/

heres some **** fine screenshots aswell

[shot]http://unreal.co.za/forums/upload/Shrimp/ss13.jpg[/shot]

and heres the link incase you didnt have it.

http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/

Comment

You could always backup your ini and just download/install it.

My answers would be the same as above. It's a bit tricky to get used to, but once you do, it's pretty fun.
      I ran a server for awhile and it wasn't much different from running a UT server...just add follow the server installation readme and you should be all good.

I am really looking foreward to their upcoming patch as well. Team based games should be interesting and I haven't played it with the turbo yet.

Comment

Heh... last time I checked it out was for 2k3. Looks like it's come a long way since then. :up:

Comment

Meh, never tried it. I've been playing Anomaly

Comment

Re: How good is Unwheel?

Originally posted by EggSukingLeech
            So, I was thinking about checking out some online racing games. Something to do between frags. Then, I remembered this free UnWheel mod. So a couple questions:

1) Do you like it?
            4) Can I start up a server locally and have my buds connect or is serving different from hosting a UT2K4 match?

Regarding #5, I'm really paranoid that my ini is going to wind up with a ton of required packages which are irrelevant for std UT2K4 (for example, if I record a Ut2K4 demo, nobody without UnWheel can watch it). I'll back it up of course, but I'm just wondering..
            1) It's pretty fun
            2) I can't comment here...only play ut2k4
            3) It is pretty smooth but there is an extreme lack of servers
            4) Yes to the first part
            5) Didn't affect mine

Overall it is a very good mod...the only problem is the lack of servers.

Comment

1) Do you like it?

1) It's alright. I had some fun with king of the hill online when i first got it and stunt mode but havn't played it in a few weeks really
              2)Not that good, actually. It's UT so it kinda controls like a scorpion or something which makes turning difficult.
              3)Pretty good, there's a few servers and usually i find one with at least 4 people, or I join it and more join. Then the mapvoting is cool so you can vote the unwheel gametype and the map to it.
              4)I think you can but i think they have to have unwheel too
              5)???, but if you're worried about other people watching your demos, just convert it to avi first in the game.

Comment

The last build i played was pretty good:-)
                (but the bots suxs)

Worth getting imho.:up:

Comment

so, I did dl it after all. It looks pretty nice but I haven't tried it extensively yet.

What is pretty nice about it is that it's merely another game type you can vote for. Probably standard mutator stuff but this is new territory for me. So, between frags you can race

The only problem I'm still having is that UTComp seems to conflict with it and I run UTcomp on my server. Not yet clear how to resolve this without restarting the server.

And there are two lines (Serverpackages) which you supposedly need in your ut2004.ini. My hope is that you do not need this if everyone else playing already installed it. I think this would help with the demos...

Comment

Originally posted by T@F
                    The last build i played was pretty good:-)
                    (but the bots suxs)

Worth getting imho.:up:
                    Oh yeah...the only other bad thing...horrendous bot support...wouldn't matter if there were more servers people!:up:

I think I will add Unwheel to my server soon:noob:

Comment

for the next patch for this mod, they will make the skidding more controllable, im guessing its going to be like rally games....

i am a follower of the unwheel team, and im glad that most of you seem to like it

Comment

Originally posted by EggSukingLeech
                        And there are two lines (Serverpackages) which you supposedly need in your ut2004.ini. My hope is that you do not need this if everyone else playing already installed it. I think this would help with the demos...
                        You absolutely do need the serverpackages lines. If you're using it with stock UT2004, everyone that joins the server will need to have it or it will be pushed to them - even if you're playing DM or CTF at the moment. If you're using UT2Vote on your server, it will only be required/pushed when it the mod is active.

Comment

yeah but that's my question. I play with two other guys and they plan to install Unwheel. Do I still need those lines even if they have installed it? I didn't think so but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Imaginos
                            You absolutely do need the serverpackages lines.
                            I mentioned the other scenerios to let people know there's an alternative to forcing everyone to have to have the packages at all times.
                            UT2Vote can remove the lines when unwheel isn't active.

Comment

Wow, good to see some more people enjoy our mod. Wait for th enew release in a few days with these new features:

Brand new in this version are team versions of CTF and KBall! TCTF follows traditional CTF rules, and TBKall is like normal soccer but with cars and a giant ball.

Real-time positioning in Race and Rally, as well as a race progress indicator on the HUD showing you and your opponent's positions in the race.

An assortment of great new and updated maps for all gametypes.

Turbo makes a return, and it's better than ever! Apart from the fiery effects pouring out your exhaust, you'll experiance a motion blur effect the faster you go.

Better control of your vehicle when you're sliding, so you can dift around corners in style.

To go with the new stylish drifting, you can now leave tyre skid marks on the ground when you slide. You'll also hear some nice sliding sounds for each surface type.

Several new vehicles - from buses to trucks and bikes with sidecars.

Server administrators can exclude specific vehicles from different gametypes if they thing players are abusing them.

Loads of gameplay fixes and enhancements - like multiple KBall ball spawn points, and all players starting a Race together, and a handy rear-view toggle for when you're using the behind-the-car camera.

Even more new exclusive music from Josh/"Stranglet" of White Noise Entertainment

Comment

Working...
                              X