1500k compared to 512k (ping times)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1500k compared to 512k (ping times)

Hi guys, im looking at transferring my ADSL from one provider to another & going from 512/128 to 1500/256 and Im just curious..what would a server that now pings at 200ms ping at under the new plan? Any guesses?

Your pings won't change unless your new ISP has better routing, so you would get just better download speeds.

Comment

btw, is there any diference between adsl and dsl?:weird:
      also is adsl/dsl better for playing online( better ping?)

:alien:

Comment

cable beats all

also iirc your ping has to do with alot more than jus your connection speed, infact i think its all about location location location tbh wit ya

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear hazard
          btw, is there any diference between adsl and dsl?:weird:
          also is adsl/dsl better for playing online( better ping?)

:alien:
          Yes, there is a difference between DSL and ADSL. With DSL, upstream and downstream speeds are different with upstream usually being much slower.

With ADSL upstream and downstream speeds are the same.

You wont likley see better "pings" (latency) with ADSL vs DSL. ISP hardware, ISP software, & ISP line saturation have more to do with latency than just the speed (bandwidth) of the line. I've seen T1's with worse latency than a 33.6k dialup before.

Think of it this way... Look up your ISP gateway IP address... Now imagine everyone with the same IP block of you will also be likely connecting and using that same gateway IP (likely a router)... An overloaded gateway or a badly configured gateway creates lag (high latency) because it looses (drops) packets and must wait for them to be resent or its just too loaded to process all requests so it drops some...

Comment

Yes, there is a difference between DSL and ADSL. With DSL, upstream and downstream speeds are different with upstream usually being much slower.
            Actually, its just the other way around

Comment

Like the guy above said.
              Basicly what I am guessing you mean by DSL is actually SDSL or Syncronous DSL, which means RX and TX speeds are the same. This is different from ADSL (Asyncronous DSL) since ADSL the RX and TX speeds can be different.

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                cable beats all
                +1

I get a free upgrade from 300k to 1mb in spring 2005, o yeh

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
                  +1

I get a free upgrade from 300k to 1mb in spring 2005, o yeh
                  who is that with?

Comment

My 3 mb connection can download 400 MB demos in a few minutes, but my ping rarely goes below 100. However, unlike a few of the whiners in here that require 5 ping (OMGROFLS) I can actually still dominate until my ping hits around 200, so I don't mind.

Using Comcast btw.

Comment

Originally posted by XMas
                      Isnt DSL is just the "base" of the technology, with different variants of it like ADSL ,SDSL, SHDSL, IDSL ,HDSL-2 ,VDSL ,G.Lite (as seen here) built on it ?
                      When people say "im on DSL", they are almost always refering to ADSL in my experience. Is there such a line as [b]just[/] DSL, or am i right in thinking this is just the "base" ?

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                        who is that with?
                        ntl, at first I signed up for 128kb/sec, it got upgraded to 150kb/sec, then doubled to 300kb/sec and now it's going to be 1mb/sec, all within 2 years and a rise of £2 a month :up: . I like the way things are heading

Comment

Originally posted by XMas
                          Thanks for correcting me.

I always get mixed up between those two.

Comment

DSL usualy have better ping than cable. Especialy during peak hours.

Comment

cable is shared iirc, so if you are in an area with lots of cable users your connection will suffer at peak time.

Comment

Working...
                              X