Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is UT2004 not popular despite being so good?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panama Jack
    team sizes of 10-16 players.
    gg no skill spam

Comment

all i have to say iz that this is the BEST FREEEKIN game i have ever played in my life. to be honest.... i'm not a true or die hard gamer. in fact i hardly play video games. but ever since my friend had told me about this game like a month ago, i was dammed hooked. i mean i was so skeptical in the beginning that i tried the demo. after the next couple of days i went down to my local gaming store and bought the editors edition. no game had ever touched my heart before :cry: *sniff* * sniff* hahahaha. but seriously guys.... bottom line, hands down best game i have ever played in my life.:up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Panama Jack
        The problem is TDM is OLD and BORING. It has been done to death.
        This much I agree with. It's the same old **** we've been playing for a decade now, and the majority of players out there want something new and fresh. TDM may be the bread & butter of FPS games, but how long can you go on bread and butter before you get sick of it? Time to move on to at least PB&J.

However, good luck getting 10 - 16 players together for a match; it's hard enough to get 8.

-TW-Hardly, he's talking about 5 to 8 player teams on large ONS maps, not throwing 16 people into DM-Rankin.

Comment

Originally posted by chinoz
          all i have to say iz that this is the BEST FREEEKIN game i have ever played in my life. to be honest.... i'm not a true or die hard gamer. in fact i hardly play video games. but ever since my friend had told me about this game like a month ago, i was dammed hooked. i mean i was so skeptical in the beginning that i tried the demo. after the next couple of days i went down to my local gaming store and bought the editors edition. no game had ever touched my heart before :cry: *sniff* * sniff* hahahaha. but seriously guys.... bottom line, hands down best game i have ever played in my life.:up: :up:
          LOL... Chinoz... Great to hear you like it, great too see you joined the 'community'...

Anyway... When you say this is the best game you've ever played AND say you hardly play video games, it kinda throws water on the fire of your statement...

But anyway, glad to heard you think it's the best game you've ever played... :up:

Comment

Originally posted by senshu

-TW-Hardly, he's talking about 5 to 8 player teams on large ONS maps, not throwing 16 people into DM-Rankin.
            If you read through his post he wants both teams to have a size of 16 people , which would be a 16 vs 16.GG spam.

Comment

Anyway... time for something to smile about...

http://www.tupearl.net/b2/misc/chin2.avi

http://web.mit.edu/patil/www/media/video/yatta.asf

What WAS these guys thinking?

Comment

Well it is near chrismas and a lot of Multiplayer games are comming out around now

however maby more players will come back to UT2004 in summer ect as price will prob drop

tbh UT2004 is the best game that i have played,

I know the numbers are lower than before but i think it only really affects the "competative" community and not the "player/non-afflict clan community"

I know its kinda bad in itself but every chrismas all games take a bigger downfall due to new stuff comming out then go back up more after chrismas

im not blaming it on chrismas, so no need to flame me

Also in UT2003 wasnt epic saying they were gonna support or was it revolve around the competative or pro communities? (Carnt remember which)

Best thing i think would for epic possibly to make an Offical game ladder then advertise it with the game, give it cool backgrounds ect and out them as popups on peoples internet browses ect and basicly just get people to spread word around

I dont think ladders cost anything to make, they just need moding + webspace (which i think epic have)

However its just a surgestion not a right

Personally i love the game :up:

Comment

Originally posted by djini_hades
                  How dare you all say that the 'people complaining about this did nothing'...

You and flak... You have VERY bad memories... Who spearheaded a clan for INA?
                  Who fu cking PAID FOR IT out of his own pocket (and later had two other devoted UT/INA members contribute to help me out) to get a server for INA 'cause Epic wouldn't put their hand in their pocket to help us out?

Who registered the clan on ladders and organised scrims? Matches, Websites, Foums, IRC chans etc etc?

I/we done all this to help get people involved and try the game out in it's more 'competative' mode, give people a taste of clanning who haven't before, got all the newcomers who find their way on this board to have the opotunity to try this out themselves, and pull them into the game a bit more...

I done all this, and you have the ****ing cheek to say I just complain about the game? You ****ing ****s!

Flak... Stop eating your own propoganda... you sound more and more like a PR guy for UT as each day passes... What have YOU done to help keep the numbers?

You still can't get it into your thick dumb-poxy-blond skull that we WANT UT to do well, and it is in fact YOU with your retarded, head-in-the-sand attitude that refuses to believe there IS a problem, that is killing off the number of players for the game.

And you talk about a lack of leadership? Well *I* tried it for a month of two, while OTHER PEOPLE on here complained, laughed, insulted...

I didn't see YOU joining up to help... So stick it...
                  You're a nasty little person Djini and I'm out of this discussion. What do I do? Check around.

Big deal "out of your own pocket"

I pay for 6 servers out of mine and 2 web servers. I run 2 communities with members totalling over 1200 people. I also help run a gaming ladder, and will be releasing a new version soon. I lead a clan of over 40 people, and another with 6. ONce and for all, most of the people who play UT don't even know about this place. I was asked if I could help with the INA clan, unfortunately, I just don't have the time, and said so. Take your nastiness somewhere else because you are WAY off the mark and I'm not going to waste any more time bothering with you.

Here's a tip: let go of the bitterness, it isnt very becoming.

Comment

Ah but onslaught does have depth

The only argument that it doesn't, is that good DM players can own in a game of ONS - well that's hardly surprising.

Good games become very tactical. I am one of the worst DM'ers I know. I'm absolutely awful at it. When I play against bots in ONS, I'm not brilliant either. But against other players, I'm actually quite good. Mainly because I know where I need to be.

So back to the point - why isn't the game more popular

a. Because the commercial release did not focus on ONS. Epic had to decide to either release the game, with ONS as what was essentially a bolt on Mod; or delay the release. They made the right commercial choice - probably.

As a result, the gaming press did not warm to UT; it had lukewarm reviews, which impacted sales.

b. Because the single player game format was worn. It was just like ut2003 - to me, who was an UT novice at release. The ladders weren't polished; you had to challenge for new teammembers, not knowing what sort of plyer you got, even if you won, and you had to suffer double dommination. Worst of all - the final map was a dull anticlimax.

c. Then, the novice player will move on to online onslaught; and will get splattered again and again and again. He'll get shouted on when he'll jump into a vehichle that he didn't know was "yours"; before being blown up.

To me, the bottom line is that it's the best game in the world, but the interface is abysmal.

The stark contrast is Rome total War, which I've just finished. playing

The "battles" are very good; and the interface is as important; if not more important than the battles themselves.

So we can discuss the minutiae of gameplay, and the different game mode's individual strengths till the cows come home. It won't attract the casual gamer who wants to install a game onto his PC, and experience satisfaction and challenge.

The interface needs radical overhaul, with each detail reassessed. Most importantly, there has to be a "sandbox" for novices. The sandbox also has to be locked to a game's CD key, to prevent the immature experienced players from kicking sand into the toddler's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                      You're a nasty little person Djini and I'm out of this discussion. What do I do? Check around.

Big deal "out of your own pocket"

I pay for 6 servers out of mine and 2 web servers. Take your nastiness somewhere else, I'm done with you and have put you on ignore.
                      Boo Hoo! Grow a spine Flak...:haha:

Comment

Come back and talk to me when you get through puberty Dji.

Comment

Working...
                        X