Aliases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aliases

I play both Onslaught, and some 1-on-1 DM. Problem is, I(obviously) need different setups for both games types - for ONS i need the use key, aVrIl, link gun, and other **** around WASD, while for DM i need ALL the weapons somewhere around WASD.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to have an alias that switches aliases? i.e. i press "-", it switches into ONS mode, and "=" switches to DM mode?

I know I could do this by copy-pasting user.ini in and out... but that is a kinda crappy solution, is there another way to do this?

Yes this is possible. Make all your keybinds in two seperate ini files, and bind a key to "exec stuff.ini" for each. I think that'll work.

Comment

Re: Aliases

Originally posted by 1 of 42
      I play both Onslaught, and some 1-on-1 DM. Problem is, I(obviously) need different setups for both games types - for ONS i need the use key, aVrIl, link gun, and other **** around WASD, while for DM i need ALL the weapons somewhere around WASD.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to have an alias that switches aliases? i.e. i press "-", it switches into ONS mode, and "=" switches to DM mode?

I know I could do this by copy-pasting user.ini in and out... but that is a kinda crappy solution, is there another way to do this?
      Yes it's possible.

The easiest way is to set up 2 (or more) executeable text files with the appropriate set input commands for each gametype. Then just bind these files to a key with "exec filename" and all you'll have to do is press one key to change a whole bunch of stuff.

You can even set things up so the same key toggles 2 such files or even loops 3 or more by making the last command in each file rebind the command you used to execute the file in the first place.

BTW, don't execute them while on a server because anticheat programs like UTSecure and AntiTCC block a lot of set input stuff... It could get you called a cheater or even auto-banned on some servers too.

Comment

You could make it like this:

a = exec ONSBinds.txt
        b = exec DMBinds.txt

ONSBinds.txt

set input q pipedswitchweapon 5 (Switches to LinkGun)
        set input e pipedswitchweapon *Whatever the Avril is*

DMBinds.txt

set input q pipedswitchweapon 4 (Switches to ShockRifle)
        set input e pipedswitchweapon 9 (Switches to LG/Sniper)

Of course you would make it more complicated, but this is a basic structure of something that should work for you.

EDIT: Bah I type slow lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SvL
          EDIT: Bah I type slow lol.
          LOL, me too. sup beat us both, but he didn't go into much detail.

Amplifying on your post... To have a single key toggle between ONS and DM settings just make the last command in each file reset the bind to execute the other file. Something like this...

Set Input a = exec ONSBinds.txt
          Set Input a = exec DMBinds.txt

Comment

That is an awesome idea. I'll have to give it a shot for when i switch from VCTF to DM. Thanks for posting how to do this guys.

Comment

Originally posted by {DAM}MoxNix
              Amplifying on your post... To have a single key toggle between ONS and DM settings just make the last command in each file reset the bind to execute the other file. Something like this...

Set Input a = exec ONSBinds.txt
              Set Input a = exec DMBinds.txt
              Yeah, you'd have to do this:

ONSBinds.txt

set input a exec DMBinds.txt

DMBinds.txt

set input a exec ONSBinds.txt

That would work.
              Or you could use two aliases like so:
              Aliases[36]=(Command="exec ONSBinds.txt| set input a DMBinds",Alias="ONSBinds")
              Aliases[37]=(Command="exec DMBinds.txt| set input a ONSBinds",Alias="DMBinds")
              a = ONSBinds

Although with the aliases, you would basically end up wasting two because its much easier to do it like suggested above.

Comment

I made 2 batch files that copy my user.ini from other directories into the System directory. Each user.ini has several different key binds. Then I made shortcuts of them and placed them in my Quick Launch. So depending on what I play (CTF, DM) I just click and it's done.

Comment

Does the Search button magically disappear when people have a question?

This is the 10th thread I've seen asking the same question

And no, I'm not helping either

Comment

Originally posted by Kel
                    No but idiots seem to magically appear to whine about questions everytime someone asks a question.

Comment

Thanks everybody(except for Kel)...

The text files only require the aliases in them, nothing else, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Kel

This is the 10th thread I've seen asking the same question

And no, I'm not helping either
                        Kel you are suck a **** omg ;(

Comment

uhhh im still confused between the differences of binds and aliases... aliases is like, pressing a key to execute a typed command or something?

Comment

Originally posted by carmatic
                            uhhh im still confused between the differences of binds and aliases... aliases is like, pressing a key to execute a typed command or something?
                            Alias is when u set a string of words to execute commands ingame.
                            Aliases are just a different way of simplifying advanced binds.
                            Ex.

Aliases[36]=(Command="exec ONSBinds.txt| set input a DMBinds",Alias="ONSBinds")

Aliases[37]=(Command="exec DMBinds.txt| set input a ONSBinds",Alias="DMBinds")

When you have these two, in your User.ini, you will not have to put in the long string of code (exec DMBinds.txt| set input a ONSBinds), but will just be able to put DMBinds. The game will then recognize that and execute the commands in the alias.

Comment

Related to your point - try ditching WASD, I remember back in the day when arrow keys were default and people were like 'use WASD' 'use WASD' but I still dont know why people dont use a more central set of keys. By using WASD you deny yourself any keys to the left of your movement keys! I use RDFG - F has a little bump on it on most keyboards to help you locate it without looking and you now have EWSXC available for binds! And your little finger should also be able to reach QAZ without too much trouble. To the right you have TYHNB not to mention 345 and v above and below! That's 17 keys! Add in ya 5 button mouse, space, and a few more your thumb can reach and surely you dont need more...?

Num Pad works well for binds like 'good game', 'hello', 'OMFGHAXORAIMBOTWTF' etc...

WASD is so Quake2, move on! Give it a go

Comment

Working...
                              X