Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Program to kill all unnecessary background processes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I tried it but it didn't really seem to do much. It killed a couple applications running in the background but I'm looking to kill all the processes too, which there were still plenty running after using enditall. I was basically looking for something just like what geosurf mentioned. Something that would kill everything not absolutely necessary to run UT2004, then bring it back when I exited the game. Thanks again for trying though.

Comment

If your lucky someone might still have a free version somewhere of end it all 2. Was free at first. It list a whole lot more then the first one. Sorry it wasn't much help.

Comment

I don't know of any programs but try http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

It's a start, you can find out which services to stop.

Comment

Run services.msc and copy the name from the properties of each service you want to stop and save to a textfile like this.

NET STOP "Automatic Updates"
          NET STOP "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
          NET STOP "Cryptographic Services"
          NET STOP "Diskeeper"
          NET STOP "Speed Disk service"
          NET STOP "Symantec Core LC"
          NET STOP "Fast User Switching Compatibility"
          NET STOP "Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service"
          NET STOP "Print Spooler"
          NET STOP "Protected Storage"
          NET STOP "SAVScan"
          NET STOP "Secondary Logon"

Save it as a .BAT file and run it everytime you play.

Create a new one change STOP to START to start them back up.

Comment

I sometimes close explorer before I play. You can start it again from the task manager later with File - New task - explorer.exe

I dont close much else... A couple services really messes up my system if I close them and it makes me have to reboot.

Comment

I just look at each process and look them up on google

Comment

go to http://www.blackviper.com and kill everything that you dont need, the site has a list of all the windows services..

keep:
                scvhost.exe
                lsass.exe
                winlogin.exe
                csrss.exe
                smss.exe
                System
                System Idle Process

that's all that i have running when i play UT, yes I even kill explorer.exe...i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy

Comment

If you want to stop something dead, no questions asked, the OS doing what it's actually told, instantly - it's actually very simple;

kill -9 [process id]

oh wait........

Comment

Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
                    i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy [/B]
                    Would you mind to share?

Comment

Theres a new version of windows Task Manager. It exercises all the functionality and authority of its predeccesor and yet has absolutly nothing new to offer

Comment

or, just hang fire for a few weeks until your new computer is ready :bored:

Comment

copy this as a .bat file, add any unnecessary processes to the llist as u see fit, got it from some website, not sure where. use that bat file to launch UT.

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

start /wait E:\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe

start C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Comment

quote:
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
                            i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you mind to share?
                            :up:

Comment

..and if you want to know what you are about to kill:
                              http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Comment

Re: Program to kill all unnecessary background processes?

Originally posted by RuinerReptile
                                Just as the title says. Is there a program like this around? I feel like I'm not getting the franerates I should with a 6800NU and I would like to do all I can to get more frames. My PC is in dire need of a reformat but I can't do that until I finally get my new computer built which will be in a couple weeks. In the meantime though, I would like to see if I can squeeze some more fps out of this baby. Is there a program that will kill all unnecessary processes and apps running the background as soon as I start UT2004?
                                Ok, insted of trying to end some processes, just how many fps are you getting? Make sure you have 8x agp enabled, i had some problems getting the drivers loaded on my 5600. But maybe you should tell us: 1. What game are you playing 2. With what settings 3. How many FPS

Comment

Working...
                                X