Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S.2
    Let's put it simple.

The Unreal engine in 2k4 is dated, if your comp can max out 2k4 it doesn't mean jack.

The Doom 3 engine is the most advanced out there now. And even current hardware can't truly handle it if they push what it can do... however current hardware out now can run it respectably (but hardly so when quake 4 starts running large maps with loads of players and explosions at the same time).

So if you have a comp with the specs to run doom 3 well (3.2 p4, amd equiv, 2 gigs ram, 6800 ultra/x800xt) odds are you won't be hurting that much for quake4, or the first unreal engine 3 game. However on the same token those specs probably won't let you run either engine with all the bells and whistles when games start to really push what they can do.

Dome 3 may have the most advanced features, but Halo PC takes the most power(halo at 1024X768 with max settings runs slower then doom 3 at 1024X768 at ultra settings). If your pc can run halo at max settings at even 1024X768 through the whole campaign well, then you will be set for a while.

The Unreal 3 engine runs at a good 30-40fps on a 6800U, so saying it would do 2-3fps on a 9800 is laughable. The 6800U is at MOST twice as fast as the 9800 pro, no more. So a 9800 pro will run the u3e at max details at about 15-20 fps. Keep in mind, you could run medium settings perfectly, and that they will be tweaking the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by dguy6789
      Dome 3 may have the most advanced features, but Halo PC takes the most power(halo at 1024X768 with max settings runs slower then doom 3 at 1024X768 at ultra settings). If your pc can run halo at max settings at even 1024X768 through the whole campaign well, then you will be set for a while.

The Unreal 3 engine runs at a good 30-40fps on a 6800U, so saying it would do 2-3fps on a 9800 is laughable. The 6800U is at MOST twice as fast as the 9800 pro, no more. So a 9800 pro will run the u3e at max details at about 15-20 fps. Keep in mind, you could run medium settings perfectly, and that they will be tweaking the engine.
      First its DOOM 3.
      Second, for the UE3 demo, the card only needed to run at Movie frame rates, thats ~24FPS.

Comment

heh i thought it was funny with the 1-2fps comment :haha:

Comment

Unreals engine's has allways been CPU freaks.. so a p43,2 - amd 3200+ Will not be enough to even get at 40 fps with an x800 xt/6800 ultra...

a 3,2 is even not enough for UT2 engine, u need atleast an amd FX-55 to run this game at "Steady" 85 FPS.. I repeat myself again: "Steady" 85FPS.

kinda DUH since the engine uses more CPU power then GPU...
          which is for most people the bottleneck, even for me.. since i have a 3200+ myself, with an x800 xt pe.

Comment

Originally posted by UT2K3Freak
            Also regarding true displacement mapping, it wouldn't be feasible on this gen of hardware because it blows up the polycounts to insane levels.
            I thought the problem was more with vertex shaders - basically to do true displacement mapping you need serious amounts of vertex shader power. Current generation cards only have 6, maybe in the future when this technique takes off we'll start to see closer to 1 vertex shader per pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
              wow your ignorant.

thouse "issues" aren't present with mine nor 5 other I know who use it.

AA/AF = It's true.. deal with it. AA does ease the stress on my eyes.. seeing blipping pixles hurts for me...

800x600 = ha.. at that res you cant make out if it's a tomato3 soup bowl of a enemy sniper in the opposing tower on face3.. let alone see a player on the top ledges of Deck from second/bottom floor.
              are u nearsighted?(i am and i dont have those issues)

Comment

i've had my system 'below' for about 2 yrs now and it still runs like new. Never had problem running any games till this day...

Comment

Dome 3 may have the most advanced features, but Halo PC takes the most power(halo at 1024X768 with max settings runs slower then doom 3 at 1024X768 at ultra settings).
                  So what your saying is, if a PC has trouble running a certain game engine, than that game engine must be there best engine there is? :bulb:

Comment

Well, they CAN run it with current high-end systems at like what, 30 fps? So, I figure if you've got a top of the line system right now, you'll do about that in 2006

Comment

[B]Dome 3 may have the most advanced features, but Halo PC takes the most power(halo at 1024X768 with max settings runs slower then doom 3 at 1024X768 at ultra settings)
                      Anyone can write a lower-than-UE2 from a visual standpoint engine and have it suck a lot of power...that shows you how ****ty the coders are at whoever made that game.

Comment

Originally posted by MyRiAdofChAoS
                        are u nearsighted?(i am and i dont have those issues)
                        I got better than 100% eyesight.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomZER0
                          my skill increased signinficantly when i got my new mx510.

obviously works for some - it may not make you better, but it unlocks some of the talent you had but your hardware was slowing you down.

(hope that makes sense)
                          Got an Mx510 the other day, and was amazed by how much of a difference it makes. The movement is so smooth and you find yourself able to make shots you never previously could because of it.
                          :up:

The extra buttons are just an added bonus, as the actual mouse itself is worth the money. Whoever said the mx's are just a gimmick is plain wrong, use one and then you'll see.

Comment

of course because fun games are all about top end graphics

It's good for your bottom line to alienate most of your potential customer base by specifying top of the line hardware @ $500 or more so they can barely play the game! Great idea!

and people asked in other threads where everyone is..... they're still playing UT or have moved on to MMORPG's

Comment

I am mad @ myself right now. I just bought an NVidia GeForce FX 5500. Supposedly I was under the impression that this card would make UT2K4 fly at upper average settings. I got the card and I have to play UT with 600 by 800 resolution, medium to low graphics settings and the thing still lags like a B*%ch. I am saving for a new rig (want to build my own) but it's so expensive! I wish there was a cheap way to better performance. :sour:

P.S. whats better. A ATI radeon 9800 pro, or NVidia GeForce FX 6800ultra?

Comment

You guys are speculating over the minimum requirements of a game that:

1.) Will not be released for liek more than a year.(As far as we know)
                                2.) Will use hardware (to run well) that we haven't even heard of.
                                3.) Who knows what changes Epic will make to the engine by its release!

This thread has no meaning.....yet.
                                :bored:

Comment

Working...
                                X