No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 3 minnimum requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse: yes it does.. having 10 buttons bindable + all buttons around WASD/ESDF improves your gaming alot since you dont need to move your hand to execute commands. (I have all weapons - assult rifle & super weapons bound to mouse buttons.)

Res: Higher res = more details enables you to see far into the distance and spot players fast. Low res makes sniping and semi long distance fights alot harder.. (I once played CTF-Hallofgiants (in UT) on a TV screen... (got owned since I coudn't see anyone that was 30+ meters away)

AF: Makes textures sharp even when far away.. big advantage since enemys far away remain sharp.

AA: Not realy a advantage but with it on edges are smoothed and thus eases the stress on your eyes.

7.1 eax: No advantage compared to quadrophonic/5.1/6.1, all kinds of surround improves your game since it's easyer to possition sounds... a realy good player knows where the elevator that sounds a certain way is but no matter how good you are you cant tell where weapon fire sounds originate if you cant see players/weapon effects/bullets etc.. with possitional audio you're tipped of in which direction the sounds originate.

Details: Here I partly agree. Some details are nice and doesn't improve neiter hinder you game.. but weather FX, foliage steam, smoke, etc that does hinder you vision is a clear dissadvantage.

Comment

how much did who pay you to spew that wad of garbage

mouse no, anything since a ms 3.0 works fine, it's more about you being used to it, and it not being a gimic (ie mx1000) that has proven issues in games. As long as its bug free your set.

af, no you can still shoot at a fuzzy dot, often its easier.

aa. stress on eyes, that's horse ****

Res, lmao your really that dense. Most players drop the res, several great players have kicked *** at 800x600. Playing in high res is only eye candy.

But please go market for logitech some more.

EDIT and GTW your 9800 pro is under powered even for a 3.0, why oc it?

Comment

wow your ignorant.

thouse "issues" aren't present with mine nor 5 other I know who use it.

AA/AF = It's true.. deal with it. AA does ease the stress on my eyes.. seeing blipping pixles hurts for me...

800x600 = ha.. at that res you cant make out if it's a tomato3 soup bowl of a enemy sniper in the opposing tower on face3.. let alone see a player on the top ledges of Deck from second/bottom floor.

Comment

my skill increased signinficantly when i got my new mx510.

obviously works for some - it may not make you better, but it unlocks some of the talent you had but your hardware was slowing you down.

(hope that makes sense)

Comment

Re: Unreal Engine 3 minnimum requirements?

Originally posted by UT2K3Freak
            You know how Tim Sweeney repeatedly states "DX9 cards as the minnimum"? Well, does that mean my Radeon 9800 pro will be able to run it? I mean, it IS a DX9 card.

Do you think Epic will make enough quality settings to let the game run well on R3x0 class and NV3x class cards?

I really hope so, because I don't want to upgrade for a long time
            He did say that you would require a DX9 card, but he also said that the 6800 was the first card to be able to run on Unreal Engine 3 smoothly. He also said that ATI could run it with what they had now, but it wasn't as smooth. I got this from the interview they had when they revealed the new engine.

I'm thinking, though, that whatever card is mainstream in two years will also be able to run well on the new engine well, assuming you don't need a 5.0 GHz or 5000+ or something like that. What you could do, is to check out games that have similar engines, and see how well a high end rig today would run on those engines. That should give you some clues.

Comment

Originally posted by UT2K3Freak
              Well, I'm really hoping it will run on my machine...I love squeezing every last drop out of my rigs before I go buy a new one

Any comment from Epic on this?
              I hope you can, but I really doubt you'll get that looks like that engine movie. 512m PCI-E cards will probably be almost common when anything based on the U3 engine comes out.

Comment

Let's look at this from a reality standpoint...

There's a game out there that starts with a D and ends with a 3... If you want to run it in its highest graphics mode, today's cards can't really do it, or it won't let you select it with today's cards... One of the two.

...and you're worried about 2 years from now? :weird:

Comment

Originally posted by Cordata

...and you're worried about 2 years from now? :weird:
                  yes, wonder if the new game will be a CPU killer (like UT2K4) or a graphics card killer, or both of course?

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
                    yes, wonder if the new game will be a CPU killer (like UT2K4) or a graphics card killer, or both of course?
                    Hopefully its going to be a GPU killer...not a CPU killer (well of course since Tim Sweeney seems to be a proponent of 64bit computing, it may well be CPU hungry as well)

Comment

As I understand it the unreal 3 engine's two big advantages are hdr lighting, and parallax mapping (also known as virtual displacement mapping - last I heard they are not using the higher quality true displacement mapping only available in SM3 and on 6800's, but I could be wrong).

Not to dampen peoples hopes too much but the farcry engine can do this today, as it supports the hdr lighting used in unreal 3, and both doom 3 and farcry support parrallax mapping, but don't actually use it in the released games. Farcry probably also has similar levels of physics, etc. You could try out one of the parrallax mapped modded maps for farcry (needs new textures so can't use it on existing maps), and turn on hdr if you have a 6800 if you want to have a quick test.

6800's support both parallax mapping and hdr, but I doubt you'll be able to run both of them at once as both take a big performance hit (SLI'd one's may do the business?).
                      Even through the 9800 and FX's support parallax mapping (I think) you'll probably have to turn it off to have any hope of a decient frame rate so it doesn't matter anyway.
                      X800's support parrallax mapping but not hdr.

As to what cpu you need? Cpu's aren't increasing in performance by much at the moment and nothing much is going to change until dual core's arrive (late 2005?) Hence I suspect unreal 3 (due in 2006) will be threaded to take advantage of dual cores, but will run on older single core processors like the high end ones available today. If you want the cpu performance to run everything at the highest settings then you could buy a twin processor machine, which will have similar performance to the dual processored machine of 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by sbuckler
                        As I understand it the unreal 3 engine's two big advantages are hdr lighting, and parallax mapping (also known as virtual displacement mapping - last I heard they are not using the higher quality true displacement mapping only available in SM3 and on 6800's, but I could be wrong).

Not to dampen peoples hopes too much but the farcry engine can do this today, as it supports the hdr lighting used in unreal 3, and both doom 3 and farcry support parrallax mapping, but don't actually use it in the released games. Farcry probably also has similar levels of physics, etc. You could try out one of the parrallax mapped modded maps for farcry (needs new textures so can't use it on existing maps), and turn on hdr if you have a 6800 if you want to have a quick test.

6800's support both parallax mapping and hdr, but I doubt you'll be able to run both of them at once as both take a big performance hit (SLI'd one's may do the business?).
                        Even through the 9800 and FX's support parallax mapping (I think) you'll probably have to turn it off to have any hope of a decient frame rate so it doesn't matter anyway.
                        X800's support parrallax mapping but not hdr.

As to what cpu you need? Cpu's aren't increasing in performance by much at the moment and nothing much is going to change until dual core's arrive (late 2005?) Hence I suspect unreal 3 (due in 2006) will be threaded to take advantage of dual cores, but will run on older single core processors like the high end ones available today. If you want the cpu performance to run everything at the highest settings then you could buy a twin processor machine, which will have similar performance to the dual processored machine of 2006.
                        Actually you're kind of right...a few of UE3's highlights are VDM and HDR rendering, and you're right about CryEngine having those features. However CryEngine's lighting method and shadowing is still **** compared to UE3.

Also, after some emails from John Carmack, he's told me that the Doom3 engine has HDR rendering using fp blending, but they didn't use it because it would make the older cards suffer, but engine wise D3 has HDR, but the game doesn't.

Regarding parallax mapping, it's just a shader function so whether its FarCry, Doom3, UE3 or Tomb Raider, any game with a programmable interface can have it.

UE3 is much more advanced than CryEngine. HDR is DIRT EASY to impliment.

Also regarding true displacement mapping, it wouldn't be feasible on this gen of hardware because it blows up the polycounts to insane levels.

Comment

running the U3 engine may take a bonifide 64 bit system

right now their development uses current available technology, and they don't get 80 zillion fps...

If EPIC makes a REALLY good game making playing the game on your new brand new system, it makes it worth it.

which to me means... they really need to make that good game that Unreal did when it came out.

Comment

Bah I'm on Athlon XP 1800 w/ GF4 Ti4200 and I'm still happy. Haven't started oc'ing yet, and won't until I feel I need to. When the new engine comes out THEN I'll start looking at my hardware instead of speculating about it a few years in advance.

Comment

Let's put it simple.

The Unreal engine in 2k4 is dated, if your comp can max out 2k4 it doesn't mean jack.

The Doom 3 engine is the most advanced out there now. And even current hardware can't truly handle it if they push what it can do... however current hardware out now can run it respectably (but hardly so when quake 4 starts running large maps with loads of players and explosions at the same time).

So if you have a comp with the specs to run doom 3 well (3.2 p4, amd equiv, 2 gigs ram, 6800 ultra/x800xt) odds are you won't be hurting that much for quake4, or the first unreal engine 3 game. However on the same token those specs probably won't let you run either engine with all the bells and whistles when games start to really push what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
                                I got a 9800pro card.. not a 6800 Ultra / X800 I got a total income of 135$ a month..
                                Uh...and I said any different? Look at my post, fool.

Comment

Working...
                                X