OT: Memory Question w/ UT2k4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Memory Question w/ UT2k4

I'd like to hear some opinions on which I should choose in these various scenarios. I have some PC3200 memory, but I also have some 256MB sticks at PC2700. What I really want to know is if UT2k4 will run better with more memory at a slower speed, or with less memory at a higher speed. Scenario 1 has twice as much memory at the slower speed, while the more likely Scenario 2 has only slightly more memory at the slower speed.
    For reference, here are a few of my system specs:
    • Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    • AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
    • WD Caviar 200GB SATA HD 7200/8MB
    • No overclocking, and temps are fine.

Scenario 1: Which of these two would you go with?

1. 512 MB running at PC3200

2. 1 GB running at PC2700

Scenario 2: Which of these two would you go with?

3. 1 GB running at PC3200

4. 1.25 GB running at PC2700

OK, I'm sure some n00b is going to get this wrong. Just to clarify: Choose either 1 or 2. Then choose either 3 or 4.

the pc3200 is better, though you need to post the timings

Comment

I'll post the timings tonight, if I take a break from UT2k4 to open the case and look.

I believe that CL=2.5, but that's all I remember off the top of my head (and even that might be wrong).

Comment

UT generally runs alot better with more RAM, so I'd rather have PC2700 1 GB over PC3200 512 MB, and then overclock. And PC3200 1 GB owns 1.2 GB of PC2700.

Comment

^ I agree

Comment

I'd stick with the PC3200.

And if you really want to know, run a benchmark with the RAM sticks in and the RAM sticks out.

Comment

I do plan on benchmarking, but this is all for when I get my second system built and my additional memory purchased. I'm just doing some "research" in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhl
                UT generally runs alot better with more RAM, so I'd rather have PC2700 1 GB over PC3200 512 MB, and then overclock. And PC3200 1 GB owns 1.2 GB of PC2700.
                +1

And if it's for UT, then how is it [OT]? :bulb:

Comment

It depends which bus speed A-XP3000+ cpu you are getting.
                  The 3000+ cpu comes in both 333fsb and 400fsb flavors.
                  Therefore REGARDLESS of how much ram you get you MUST!!!! get the ram the same FSB as the cpu to run in sync for max performance and stability.
                  I suggest:
                  If you get the 3000+ at 333fsb, then get 1gig a pc2700cl2 or cl2.5
                  If you get the 3000+ at 400fsb, then get 1gig a pc3200cl2 or cl2.5

Now of the pc3200 is cheaper than the pc2700- which it may be- then definitely get the pc3200 either way since pc3200 will downclock to pc2700 ok.
                  Stay away from CL3 dimms - they are iffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Novac
                    I'll post the timings tonight, if I take a break from UT2k4 to open the case and look.

I believe that CL=2.5, but that's all I remember off the top of my head (and even that might be wrong).
                    um, woulndt you better check your bios.

Comment

1 ->(2)<- ... ->(3)<- 4

that is, 1 gig 2700 or 1 gig 3200.

Comment

Working...
                      X