Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

Is it possible for me to run UT2004 as a Windows Terminal Services Client? I have an old p3 laying around that connects to my main box that runs server 2003. Can i connect via remote desktop and play 2k4 on the old machine?

Someow I doubt it...anyone know for sure though?

I seriously doubt it.

Even if Terminal Services is able to read data from the video card buffer, where the game is actually being drawn, the amount of bandwidth required to transmit the images at a playable rate would be massive.

You can try it, but I predict that if it does work at all, you'll be getting like 4 FPS. You'd be better off installing it directly on the P3.

Comment

Thanks for the reply; that's kinda what i was thinking too.

But installing it on a p3 with an 8meg vid card would be ugly :bulb:

Comment

If you're connected VIA a home network i think you should try it. You dont have anything to lose really. You wont get great fps but it might just be playable. Sinse (correct me if i'm mistaken) all you're seeing is a emulated image of your p3's view. So i'ts only a 2d image that's being received so i dont see why it would be THAT slow.

Comment

Originally posted by .dot.Chops
          Thanks for the reply; that's kinda what i was thinking too.

But installing it on a p3 with an 8meg vid card would be ugly :bulb:
          Wouldn't work at all, actually. It needs a Hardware T&L card to work, and those are all at least 32 MB.

You'd have to fall back onto Software Rendering (The Pixo Renderer) and that's 1) Fugly and 2) At your CPU's speed, not an option. :|

Comment

well lets see. resolution 514x384x16bit=3Mbit. Say we cap it @60fps => 180Mbit of data per second. You'll need a gigabit network at least. Even then, there would be horrible lag anyway i guess as input data needs to be redirected as well.

Edit:
            320x240x16bit @60fps=> 70Mbits. well worth a try. Maybe it could fit into a 100Mbit network. Maybe, if you have it all for yourself that is . Unfortunately there is no way (i know of) to limit the frames below 60Hz

Comment

Working...
            X