Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capture the Flak

Don't mind the title.

I've been getting into CTF matches lately, and found that I'm absolutely brilliant at defense. I want to even myself out by running the flag every now and then.

It'd be great if some of you guys could gimme a few pointers on run paths, boosting teamates, tactics, and whatever else...

err...thanks

Only one piece of advice I can give, is try and collect 100 adrenaline, head towards the flag, trying to keep from getting caught, and the minute you grab it, hit the speed combo and haul *** home.

Comment

Re: Capture the Flak

Originally posted by Brom
      Don't mind the title.

I've been getting into CTF matches lately, and found that I'm absolutely brilliant at defense. I want to even myself out by running the flag every now and then.

It'd be great if some of you guys could gimme a few pointers on run paths, boosting teamates, tactics, and whatever else...

err...thanks
      1. Get as many powerups as you possibly can. 199 health and 150 armor is, uh... a good start. :haha:

2. Try to communicate your position to your team as often as possible. Bind a key to "I need backup!" Cover makes all the difference.

3. Vary your routes.

4. Dodge your butt off and learn to run backwards.

5. Pay attention to enemy xloc trails.

6. DON'T GIVE UP. If you're on offense, keep going at it. 1 successful flag run in 10 really ain't that bad... and if you get to the enemy base and don't think you're in good enough shape to make it back with the flag, try to create an opportunity by tying up their defense til help arrives.

Comment

- Keep your hitscan aim at a high level, it will be your best friend
        - Same with projectiles(RL/Flak/etc) they are most useful in close combat
        - Dodge-jump as much as you can and stay moving, even simple strafing can help keep you alive
        - When a teammate grabs the enemy flag, get your **** to him/her and help defend(or better yet, team up and go after the flag at the same time, one grabs, the other covers)
        - VoIP is your friend, use it. Alert teammates to flag locations when possible and even EFC movements(where they're going, which direction they're headed, etc)
        - TL is handy(very handy). Aim at a 45degree angle to max distance
        - Shieldgun can save your ****, but it isn't unlimited(nor does it completely cover you). Weapon fire drains it even faster, so use sparingly

Comment

JOin Design-Flaw at http://design-flaw.4x2.net

Comment

lmao, I just replied to the Design-Flaw thread, and I've got a window open to the homepage. STFU already. :P

Comment

-learn the maps...nothing worse than running backwards and hitting a wall. You gotta know the route you just took...also, never attack the same route too often, it just draws defence over there.

--Persistance....1 successful return out of 10 I think is rather good, especially if you're not getting too much backup. As long as you manage to take out a defender each run, you'll get something done. The moment your team mates realize that they've lost some defence, the cavelry should arrive.....should.

-A good flag run tactic, if you're having trouble picking up the flag, is to make fake attemp;ts at getting the flag. Often, if you're running towards it, the defendier is smart enuf to use an RL/Flak and just lead their shot on the flag base. Well, if youy're not really planning on touching it, that wno't work. While this won't get you away from them, it may give you the second you need to pick up the flag and hopefully jet off.

-never look in one direction. Even when fighting someone off while you have the flag, you gotta sneak a peak around when ever you can, for team mates and enemies. If you're planning on taking one route, but you see a team mate on another, perhaps a detour would be best, hopefully that'd get some attention off of you while he attacks your persuers.

-Even when you're on that final run towards your flag as you're runniing back...DON'T let down. It kills me to see how many times we loose caps because a person stops paying attention running back into our own base. Since the flag rooms often have many areas of attack, your one isolated route isn't anymore, you're enetering a major battle area, and you don't know what enemy is waiting for you to emerge. Chances are, it'd probably be someone you already killed while taking the flag too

Comment

Originally posted by Mofassa
                -learn the maps...nothing worse than running backwards and hitting a wall. You gotta know the route you just took...also, never attack the same route too often, it just draws defence over there.
                Especially in minimalist maps with voids on either side such as FaceClassic and Bridge of Fate, you really need to have a feel for exactly where the bridge of land ends and the void/lava begins.

Comment

I hate defending online : I pick a nice spot with a good view of the flag and flag room, where i can easily pick off attackers;

Duffman killed Player
                  Player: OMFG YOU CAMPER!

Its called defense

Comment

Good advice above. Another way to pick up general attacking strategies and map specific tactics is to watch demos from the best clans/players. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.utctf.de/index.php?action...11a4a53406e4c4

Browse through the Jolt Cup serverside demos between top clans. Since you can switch player perspective to whichever position you want to play, if you want to attack, check out the demos with these players from the following clans: pSystOrm from LoW, noexit from MD, coldi or madjar from fear, and ZacCc from badct.

Comment

Defence and attack go hand in hand.

So what you know are good defense tactics for bad attack tactics, don't do them!

And what you know are things you can't defend against, do them!

It's usually a bluffing game defense and attack: will i go this way and cut you off, or shall i backtrack? Or is me looking like i'm backtracking another blufff? Am i going to jump on the flag (to take or return) now, i KNOW you've got a shot for me, or do you, do i?

The only real tactic i know that really gives -me- an advantage usually is follow a spawn point path (should know where every one is btw) out of the enemy base.
                      This way you'll know when you're likely to encounter a defender and also exactly where from. Defenders most usually won't think you'll go -to- them and they will be weak.

I don't know if you do this, but when i defend and i die near the vincinity of the EFC, i won't immediately respawn so i can see which path the EFCis taking out.
                      When i attack, since i know (some) people do this, so i will start taking one route out, just enough so that the defender has some idea, then i will flow another route.

And yeah traveling backwards, and that's not just holding back and dogding side to side, doing backwards 'diagonal dodgejumps' is what you want for maximum distance coverage. Altho', when you're clear for a bit travel forwards, always helps if you can see where you're going. i find sometimes i might even get a nice flick shot out of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X