Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Best PowerSupply for midrange system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Best PowerSupply for midrange system?

Gonna have ,

Nforce2 (Abit NF7-S) using onboard lan/audio

Athlon XP 2500+ (333fsb)

2 512mb GEIL ddr400

2 IDE ata100 (hd 60gb/80gb)

DVD-ROM, and DVD RW -/+ drives

GEforceFX5600

dlink wireless NIC (A,B,G)

1. Whats the lowest wattage one would go about using with that config
    2. Which company makes the most reliable powersupplies... I hate antec PS's and won't go with them! Coolermaster seems a lil expensive and E-power.... "E-" anything is usually bad... any input???

I've always been partial to Antec PSU's.

But, PC Power and Cooling and Enermax also make great units.

Comment

According to:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

You need ca. 305W minimum...

Comment

I would recomend Antec as well. A 350 True power or something like that should be able to handle that hardware pretty easily, and have some room to spare, just in case you want to add something a bit more power hungry later.

Comment

Why the problem with Antec? I have always counted on Antec PSU's and have never had any problem with them. I use the True Blue 480 on my Athlon 3000. Although it's more power than I need currently, it will allow me to upgrade my system this year again without worrying about power. Power supplies are never something to skimp on, everything in your PC is connected to it and a cheap one can make short work of a nice motherboard.

Comment

i use an Antec TruePower 430 and it hasn't done me wrong yet.

Comment

i went to the shop and bought a 350watt for like 20quid and its perfect :up:

does it really matter make your psu is?

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                i went to the shop and bought a 350watt for like 20quid and its perfect :up:

does it really matter make your psu is?
                Yes, it can. If the one you got is built using cheap (or low rating) parts, it will cause problems, and can even damage your system. One of the things you will notice, the heaver the PSU is, its normally better quality. Most of the lower quality manufacturers will use smaller heatsinks because they are cheaper, but they don't get rid of the heat as well as heaver ones. also they make up for that by using lower power componants, that are able to handle the load, but not at the temps that most computers get too. Often times, there will be info on the PSU as to what it can handle.
                So, yes, Make can make a difference.

Comment

I'm building a mid-range system shortly, but I won't go for anything lower than a 450watt power-supply. Today's higher-end video cards demand lots of power, and this trend doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

Current ATI and NVidia processors already boast double the transistors of P4's...

Comment

Re: [OT] Best PowerSupply for midrange system?

Originally posted by creepah
                    Gonna have ,

Nforce2 (Abit NF7-S) using onboard lan/audio

Athlon XP 2500+ (333fsb)

2 512mb GEIL ddr400

2 IDE ata100 (hd 60gb/80gb)

DVD-ROM, and DVD RW -/+ drives

GEforceFX5600

dlink wireless NIC (A,B,G)

1. Whats the lowest wattage one would go about using with that config
                    2. Which company makes the most reliable powersupplies... I hate antec PS's and won't go with them! Coolermaster seems a lil expensive and E-power.... "E-" anything is usually bad... any input???
                    No offense, but only an idiot hates Antec. Antec makes THE most reliable power supplies. Power supplies are the most common causes of problems such as

A. low power, not enough voltage going to critical components

and

B. Your computer getting fried from a ****ty Power supply.

Trust me, I've had my comp fried from ****ty power supplies, and tons of my friends have too, and I won't go with anything except Antec now. Get an Antec TruePower 430w, I've got one and it's an awesome power supply, plenty of voltage and it keeps everything cool with its dual-fan cooling system. If you don't buy Antec, then you're just ****ing yourself over, as they also have 10,000 dollar warranties on the PSU, so if it ****s your comp over, they'll replace up to 10,000 dollars worth of stuff.

By the way, GeForce FX 5600's suck. :down:

Comment

Re: Re: [OT] Best PowerSupply for midrange system?

Originally posted by Rhl
                      No offense, but only an idiot hates Antec. Antec makes THE most reliable power supplies.
                      They are of high quality, but I wouldn't label them as the top one. Check out pc power and cooling.
                      Don't let the website fool you, their PSU's are top of the line. I would put Antec as probably 2nd.

Comment

No question an Antec 350W is the way to go. Check newegg.com for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipher
                          the heaver the PSU is, its normally better quality
                          Exactly.

Check out the graphs in this buying guide:
                          http://www.directron.com/psu.html

Comment

Originally posted by Xipher
                            Yes, it can. If the one you got is built using cheap (or low rating) parts, it will cause problems, and can even damage your system. One of the things you will notice, the heaver the PSU is, its normally better quality. Most of the lower quality manufacturers will use smaller heatsinks because they are cheaper, but they don't get rid of the heat as well as heaver ones. also they make up for that by using lower power componants, that are able to handle the load, but not at the temps that most computers get too. Often times, there will be info on the PSU as to what it can handle.
                            So, yes, Make can make a difference.
                            hmmm i never thought of it like that, guess its better to be safe than sorry :up:

Comment

Re: Re: [OT] Best PowerSupply for midrange system?

Originally posted by Rhl
                              Get an Antec TruePower 430w, I've got one and it's an awesome power supply, plenty of voltage and it keeps everything cool with its dual-fan cooling system.
                              I say never get a PSU that's more powerful than you need. Look up some information about noise levels... if a 350W is more quiet, get that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X