Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What game should the CPL be using for its $1 million tourney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerNut
    loooool....:haha::haha: :haha:
    K.
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one big guy...
    what shall we compare
    clans
    ladders
    online players
    lans

cmon now

cs makes ut2k4 look like pk or doomIII:haha:

not saying thats what they should have chosen <I agree 2k4 should have been there
    CS has enough attention

Comment

Originally posted by thep0pe
      Tribes Vengeance .

Comment

Originally posted by Necromancer
        what shall we compare
        clans
        ladders
        online players
        lans

cmon now

cs makes ut2k4 look like pk or doomIII:haha:

not saying thats what they should have chosen <I agree 2k4 should have been there
        CS has enough attention
        I don't argue that CS has more players or a more active community.... It was your comment regarding the skill level that was virtually sig material...
        I've played both games... I could be competitive on a CS pub in a few hours... It took CONSIDERABLY longer to get competitive at 2k4...
        I would even say that one of the very reasons that CS is so popular, is because it is so n00b friendly...
        Don't confuse popularity with skill level.... with that reasoning the CPL with be adding the Sims to it's online tournament next year

Comment

Originally posted by Necromancer
          imo cs takes just as much if not more skill than ut ever has,different skill,more stealth/real
          + it is the best team based game out there for competition
          im sorry, my reply on the zer0kewl dude was a personal attack. So i appologise if you have misunderstood me.

He has been on this forums for a short while, porting a lot. He added me to msn, and we talked a lot at the same time.

Then he suddenlydecides to quit ok, for a reason i cant remember and i couldnt care less about, but at the same time, starts calling me names, and other players from these board too, apparantly because we where UT players (and/or dissapointed because he left)

Either way, he acted like a kid wishing me to die of diseases youve probably never even heard about.

So thats the reason why i dont want him in ANY ut community.

This is solely my personal opinion, and tbh, he and joepjens where guys i was teaching UT to. I helped both of them, and havent been unfriendly to them in any way. They both werent good players at that time (i dont know about now, but since i played some k-play today without playing for months on someone elses pc and basically owned i guess my skill isnt gone that much) and you can ask joepjens how he acted. Anyway, i dont care about it even anymore. Just made a small personal reply towards him, wich i am now explaining

Believe me, and everyone may dislike my position on the way i think UT is supposed to be played as much as they want, still, the UT community is richer without this guy

Comment

PONG 1V1
            Omg pong is sooo old... though its community is bigger than PK's.

PacMan 1on1 rul3z. Not sure if i prefer Amp On or Off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
              im sorry, my reply on the zer0kewl dude was a personal attack. So i appologise if you have misunderstood me.

He has been on this forums for a short while, porting a lot. He added me to msn, and we talked a lot at the same time.

Then he suddenlydecides to quit ok, for a reason i cant remember and i couldnt care less about, but at the same time, starts calling me names, and other players from these board too, apparantly because we where UT players (and/or dissapointed because he left)

Either way, he acted like a kid wishing me to die of diseases youve probably never even heard about.

So thats the reason why i dont want him in ANY ut community.

This is solely my personal opinion, and tbh, he and joepjens where guys i was teaching UT to. I helped both of them, and havent been unfriendly to them in any way. They both werent good players at that time (i dont know about now, but since i played some k-play today without playing for months on someone elses pc and basically owned i guess my skill isnt gone that much) and you can ask joepjens how he acted. Anyway, i dont care about it even anymore. Just made a small personal reply towards him, wich i am now explaining

Believe me, and everyone may dislike my position on the way i think UT is supposed to be played as much as they want, still, the UT community is richer without this guy
              ut2004 has a virus onslought and dm sufers from it
              some day's i wish i imigrate to usa where the better players are and play more online

but ping i only known 1 usa server where my ping is 90
              and heavily populair

overdrivepc q3 ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Punchline1
                how the **** is a bunny-hop competitive
                I'm going to assume you don't know what bunny-hop is, rather than assume you're an idiot. (Giving you the benefit of the doubt.)

Bunny-hop is an alteration of the movement system in a game based on the use of strafe/air-control to accelerate yourself past the max-speed of the player, while maintaining it as you run. The fact that it requires that you be repeatedly jumping at proper timing as to prevent the game-engine from realizing you've hit the ground gave it the "bunnyhop" name. In the case of Painkiller, you can reach well over 3x your base speed, and you can use this to get across parts of levels you can't normally get to easily, much like dodge-jumping does for you in UT games, etc etc.

Go play any game that has bhop or a variant, and try not using it and see what happens to you against skilled players. When your max movement speed is less than 1/3 of what everyone else's is, you'll find yourself hard pressed to do anything against them.

And as for it being "competitive", it's an ability that requires some development, timing, and general skilled player-control in order to use effectively. Being able to control yourself and fight effectively while using it is another aspect that sets apart skilled players from the newbies. Any feature that leaves room for significant development as a player gets better at the game (and bhop is a step in the right direction for that) becomes a competitive feature in the end. (Who wins the game? The one with best aim, map-control, and movement skills.) If you think the only "features" that are competitive are those specifically designed to counteract game flaws / human deficiency (hitsounds, brightskins, forcemodels), you've been stuck in the UT world for waaaay too long.

Comment

Originally posted by [FDG]Sundae
                  [B]bunnyhop explaination
                  That's fine and dandy, but why not have a system like 2k4, where you don't have to "trick" the engine into slowing you down

rather, use the built in aerials to fly around the map :> one of the many reasons i love EWE TAY!

Comment

Originally posted by zer0kewl
                    ut2004 has a virus onslought and dm sufers from it
                    some day's i wish i imigrate to usa where the better players are and play more online

but ping i only known 1 usa server where my ping is 90
                    and heavily populair

overdrivepc q3 ^^
                    still no reason to act as a 12y old mental patient on speed.

And the better players in the usa? dont make me laugh....

Comment

Originally posted by -Sasuke-
                      one of the many reasons i love EWE TAY!
                      *cough* EWE TEE *cough*

But I agree, saying bunnyhopping is a competetive feature is like saying weapons are a competetive feature.
                      It's a gameplay element, it was put in because it's cool and balanced... like most gameplay elements. :bulb:

Comment

Sorry, kinda bugged out of the thread after I posted.

Anyway, to answer your question BeerNut, I've never played PK online. Just Nightmare SP & lots of LAN games. On a LAN, PK rocks. It's smooth, fast, and has that Doom-meets-Quake-meets-killer-graphics-and-gore feel to me. It's easy to pick up too.

I've heard the online netcode is kinda chincy & is near impossible to play, even on broadband. I wouldn't know from experience, but I'd assume if that's true, then that might lead to a non-existant online presence. On a LAN though, I really like it.

Anyway, IMHO

BTW - Detroit Lions rule the earth (next to OSU Buckeyes )

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDubTrauma

BTW - Detroit Lions rule the earth (next to OSU Buckeyes )
                          Agreed on the Lions comment... But being a U of Mich grad, the comment regarding the Bucks is a MUCH tougher sell...

Comment

Working...
                          X