17" or 19"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" or 19"

I am planning to upgrade with a new "slim" (dont know the exact english word for this) monitor, and have thought about getting a 19" instead of a 17" (which I got now).

What would you buy if you where in my situation?

Has anyone gone from 17" to 19" and what is your experience with this.

I am thinking about attaching the monitor to my wall, in order to get maximum desk space, is there any recommended viewing distance with the 19"?

Oh and is it worth buying a expensive monitor, or will I be fine going with the cheapest "no name" one?

hmm, well i'm not sure, definately go for the low response time, measured in ms, i'd go for 16ms or lower if your planning on playing games with it, and brand name is pretty important for these types of things, i'd get a sony, samsung or benq.

Comment

Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
      hmm, well i'm not sure, definately go for the low response time, measured in ms, i'd go for 16ms or lower if your planning on playing games with it, and brand name is pretty important for these types of things, i'd get a sony, samsung or benq.
      okay check low response time:up:

oh and its primarily for gaming UT

Comment

You're talking about a flat panel monitor, right? The ones that are really thin, and can be mounted on walls, etc? Get a Sony, those are kickass. I'm not sure if Viewsonic makes them, but they do make very nice monitors (I've had the same one for 3 years and it delivers awesome quality).

17" to 19" is a huge difference, with 19" alot of resolutions (800x600 and below in general) look like ****, so you'll want to have a graphics card that can play most games @ 1024x768 or 1280x1024. Just my personal experience, plus 19" is awesome for webbrowsing, so much room.

Comment

First of all, response times should be low. now what monitors meet that criteria? What screeen resolution do you like if you are using a LCD slim-line display? Figure that out. Find monitors that support that as its "native" resolution and exclude from your search those that do not have your desired res as the native res. LCDs only have one native resolution and the rest require work to deal with, so they slow down your system if you use non-native resolutions. Next, figure out your price range, and cull those too expensive. Then look for brand i.e. Sony, BenQ, etc. Now, after looking at brands, cull those brands you do not trust. Now pick the largest screens you can find. Have a group still? Pick based on more personal choices ie looks, price within group, inputs, that sorta thing. If you have only one, good. If you have none or a group of choices, prioritize your choices and figure out what you are most willing to give up on if you have no choices, or add criteria if too many choices, and keep on broadening and refining your searching till you have only one. Hope that helps.

Edit:If possible go with 19 inch if you have bad eyesight. Will help reduce eyestrain. If you dont, go with 19 inch still. By the way, 800 by 600 on a large screen isn't bad if you are used to it. I use a 21 inch and used 800 by 600 on it for a long time. Again if you have bad eyesight lesser screen res can = less eyesstrain due to enlarged size of everything. Now I boost the res a bit higher. As for keeping eyestrain to a minimum, I believe the recomendation is to keep the monitor 2-3 feet away from your face.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys :up:

I havent actually played on a flat panel LCD monitor before, so I really dont know which res I prefere. My current rig is very low end, and I play in 800x600 but I plan on upgrading this too within the next 2-3 months.

I have found this 19" monitor which matches my maximum budget but is it any good? Its got a response time of 25ms is that ok?

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Listprices.asp?ID=65308

Comment

25 ms response is considered barely usable for gaming. IIRC, they are not recommended to be used for long periods of time when gaming.

Comment

PFffff.... Try my 21" CRT with 20" Viewable

1200x1024x75hz Baby!

Shame my Hardware cant play at that level :cry:

Comment

It's kind of personal preference, I find larger monitors painful on the eyes give me headaches and are just harder to look at - ie you cant take in the whole screen at once. My pop's 19" is a real ordeal to use and I just cant imagine trying to use anything bigger. I think this is another case of guys getting convinced that those extra inches are necessary

But cheap jokes aside, some people really swear by their big screens so I guess it's no prob for some. 17" seems the optimum for me and if money is a consideration you should be able to get a great 17" rather than an inferior larger screen.

Pop down to your local store and try some out, just dont be fooled into thinking big is best without considering your needs...

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza101
                    It's kind of personal preference, I find larger monitors painful on the eyes give me headaches and are just harder to look at - ie you cant take in the whole screen at once. My pop's 19" is a real ordeal to use and I just cant imagine trying to use anything bigger. I think this is another case of guys getting convinced that those extra inches are necessary
                    :haha: :haha: n1

But cheap jokes aside, some people really swear by their big screens so I guess it's no prob for some. 17" seems the optimum for me and if money is a consideration you should be able to get a great 17" rather than an inferior larger screen.

Pop down to your local store and try some out, just dont be fooled into thinking big is best without considering your needs...
                    Good point I will do this :up:
                    I have also heard that a 17" flat panel monitor appears bigger visually than a regular 17" monitor, so perhaps the 17" would be the most reasonable choice for me

Comment

not a flat.. but an incredible monitor at an even more unbelieveable price

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...&page=external

my friend got one, and he downloaded new drivers or something. to make a long story short, the default on it is now 16x12 at 110mhz

rest assured, i'll be getting one as soon as i get the money.

the problem with flat panels is refresh rates. none of them are as good as a good crt. if you can find one that's really close to as good though, it'll cost you a fortune that you could spend on a better crt monitor and probably a 6800 or x800.

crt all the way :up:

Comment

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/519/page1.html
                        This is a french report about the different manufacturers' way of dealing with "dead" pixels on LCD screens.
                        I don't know what your language is, but you can use an automated translator if you don't know French, that should be enough to understand which make is good, and which is not.

A friend of mine has bought a Phillips and is quite happy with it, but he doesn't play much (he uses it mostly for graphic softwares)

Comment

Bigger is better my friend. That applies to a lot of things in life. I use a 19 in and I love it. I have a sony flat screen that has a color contrast ratio of 700:1 and everything in unreal looks beautiful on it! It was an expensive montior but I figured I would spring for it because you can have the greatest hardware in the world but if you have a garbage montior to view it on then who cares. Go with 19 in flat or get a 21in CRT. My friend brought his 21in CRT of newegg for a good price.

Comment

If you get a LCD make sure it has a DVI connector.

Comment

I can understand the comment about going too big. I feel a little overwhelmed by 21" monitors. I do like 19" ones though.

With the flat panel I would say response time is king. If you find that 17" has better response go with that. One of the guys in the clan I'm in has a 21" flat panel and he swears by it though. It's only about $1200 My wife has a medium range 15" flat panel and it blows with games. She needed the extra desk space though.

If you have the room I say go with a 19" flat screen CRT. That's what I want, but I need my last 17" monitor to die first.

Comment

Working...
                              X