Energy turret, lag and aim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy turret, lag and aim.

I play ONS a lot, and I have noticed that, because ONS gamers in pub games kinda suck, and most of them either refuse to understand that ONS isn't about killing an enemy 10000 times, or don't realise what are the consequences of losing the first node, I almost always have to defend the first node myself because nobody else does that. An important tool for node defence is obviously the Energy Turret.

However, I have problems with manning the energy turret. First of all, my ping is usually 80-160. But, even when it's 80, the energy beams are ALWAYS off target, and hitting a raptor requires plenty of luck, and hitting a manta is just impossible. When I attack a node that is protected by an energy turret, that turret operator IS USUALLY PWNING ME OFF, regardless of how fast I move (manta, raptor). I'm not that bad at aiming with a shock rifle or an lg in ONS, but I just suck with the turret. Why? Is the ping of 80-100 too high to use a turret effectively? Or does it just take more skill than long range combat with shock/lg?

because its 80 you cant hit it when i have a ping of 80 i need to lead with every hitscan weapon ....

Comment

One of the Epic guys (wilhaven?) pointed out that the energy turret is 'hit scan' in a thread once. Therefore dont worry about where the 'beams' are pointing, in the same way that you should not worry about the bullet trails with your mini-gun. This is a mistake I used to make... by trying to get the 'beams' to hit I was actually ensuring I always missed!

I used to defend nodes a lot too, but then I realised that actually the only way to win is to lock your nodes by taking the next enemy one - you dont need to defend at all if you do that! Perhaps the pub players know something you don't

Comment

The energy turret is quite innacurate by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyk
          The energy turret is quite innacurate by design.
          I agree. The energy beams you're shooting are actully tracers so you must aim ahead of the enemy.

Comment

It might seem slightly odd, but if you take the first node, jump in a turret and shoot at some team-mates first. It won't exactly endear you to them :haha: but it'll give you a measure of what the extent of the lag is. I normally take a few pot shots at a friendly hellbender, see what 'lead' jolts it around a bit and use that as my gauge when defending against the enemy.

Try and ignore the inevitable flames... ... they'll thank you when you're saving their hides.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza101
              One of the Epic guys (wilhaven?) pointed out that the energy turret is 'hit scan' in a thread once. Therefore dont worry about where the 'beams' are pointing, in the same way that you should not worry about the bullet trails with your mini-gun. This is a mistake I used to make... by trying to get the 'beams' to hit I was actually ensuring I always missed!
              So you are saying ignore the beam, keep focusing your target on the vehicle reguardless of distance or zoom? Can someone else confirm this?

What other weapons should I aim at the target instead of leading the target. I do this with the shock and lightning, but notice that the shock is a bit off so I have been leading with this weapon as well.

Comment

what i do is work out the direction the raps going, aim ahead of it like one or two inches (on the screen obviously) and keep the target thing steady and let the rap fly into the beams.

This ensures you at least hit it once in high-lag situations, and the hits tend to throw it around making subsequent hits easier.:up:

play in Instant u can tell its hitscan.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have a high ping, usually 140 or so, and kill enemy raptors easily with the turret. Just learn to lead them a bit. Mantas are much more difficult but I still have a decent kill rate on mantas.

The real fun is eagle-eyeing raptors with the goliath. I've become quite good at that and very frequently get a kill by eagle-eye when facing a raptor with my goliath. You really only get one chance at it if the raptor pilot isn't a total idiot and there's nothing more satisfying to me than getting just the right lead on a raptor, getting the shot off, and hearing the announcer proclaim, "Eagle-Eye!"

Comment

Originally posted by {AVS}MaxC
                      So you are saying ignore the beam, keep focusing your target on the vehicle reguardless of distance or zoom? Can someone else confirm this?

What other weapons should I aim at the target instead of leading the target. I do this with the shock and lightning, but notice that the shock is a bit off so I have been leading with this weapon as well.
                      If you have a ping of 0, you hit with "hit-scan" weapons when you have your crosshairs on the target. As your ping gets higher, it takes longer for the information about when and where you fired to travel to the server and get processed, so you need to lead your shots - put them slightly ahead of where your target is - so that when the server works out where your beam travels, and where your target is at that time, they coincide and you hit them.

Comment

So you are saying watch the beams and lead the shot, but Jezza101 is saying ignore the beams and aim directly. Which is it?!

Comment

Take a look at those frag counts from aimbotters, Energy Turret for sure is a hit scan.

1 vs 1, Raptor hardly stands a chance against Energy Turret.

Comment

Working...
                          X