Looking to get new video card... Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get new video card... Ideas?

I've grown sick of my FX5200, and I'm looking to upgrade. It has been a nice workhorse for the year I've used it, but now its time to move on...

Ok before posting a response, I have a few requirements... I'll laugh at you if you recommend a $500 ATI top-line PCI-X card. Fair warning...

1. I'm looking to spend no more than $200 including taxes and shipping.
    2. AGP card. Don't tell me no PCI-X. It's too new for me to even consider and I don't want to upgrade my mobo.
    3. Standard SVGA 25 pin connector necessary. I dont need DVI connections. They're useless for my monitor.
    4. Finally... nVidia based cards, please... Keeping it nVidia to match my nForce chipset. I know I could use an ATI, but I prefer nVidia.

I want to get something that allows me to get better performace out of UT2k4. Now this will also be on my main production machine.

I know I could get a better processor and more RAM but I already know what I'm going to get, but I'm not sure on the video card... I thought about the eVGA FX5700 Ultra... Any comments on that particular card if you have it? I know its currently about 170-187, but shipping will keep it under $200.

As far as CPU & RAM I'll be dropping in a barton 3000+ (400MHz FSB) and at least 1GB of paired Corsair XMS.

Well comments on the video card?

gotta FX 5200 also- gotta say i didnt know it was that bad- but recently a lot of people have been saying how awful it is--
    guess ill upgrade soon too

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
      9800 Pro?
      Since when has nVidia start using ATI's technology?

Can I get this card (not hot) for under 200 with shipping???

No offense intended, but please read the post

Edit
      Mortimer47...

The card has worked okay for me, but is by no means a excellent performer. It runs unreal which is fine. I ordered it waaaaay before I even knew about 2k4 so that it works okay with 2k4, I'm satisfied. Especially since I only spent $60 on the card to have *something* in my new box (at the time).

I'm getting about 25-30FPS in onslaught with 20 people (19 bots), and 40-50 in deathmatch. I'm also using the "experimental" DX-9 renderer.

Heres my ut2k4.ini snippet if you want to experiment with my settings and see if it helps you a little... I find it a good cross between eye-candy and speed for me and my machine.

Code:
      [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
      DetailTextures=False
      HighDetailActors=False
      SuperHighDetailActors=False
      UsePrecaching=True
      UseTrilinear=False
      AdapterNumber=-1
      ReduceMouseLag=True
      UseTripleBuffering=False
      UseHardwareTL=True
      UseHardwareVS=True
      UseCubemaps=False
      DesiredRefreshRate=75
      UseCompressedLightmaps=True
      UseStencil=False
      Use16bit=False
      Use16bitTextures=False
      MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
      UseVSync=True
      LevelOfAnisotropy=0
      DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
      DefaultTexMipBias=-0.500000
      UseNPatches=True
      TesselationFactor=1.000000
      CheckForOverflow=False
      OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
      DecompressTextures=False
      TerrainLOD=0
      SkyboxHack=True
      LowQualityTerrain=True
      Note to Atari:
      It works ok for me. Been using it since it was introduced in the first patch.

Comment

I used to have a 5200 and I upgraded to a Gainward 5900XT Golden Sample and I love it it was about $180.

Comment

The motherboard chipset and video card aren't married in any way or feature, so if you want to spend as little as $200 for a decent video card, you will have to broaden your horizons.

I still use a GF4-Ti4600, and it still does 40+ fps in most default maps.

Comment

6600's should be around soon, and the price point is supposed to be 199$.

i havent looked into gfx cards in the last months so this is what i can recall

Comment

Originally posted by DragonSlayer
              I used to have a 5200 and I upgraded to a Gainward 5900XT Golden Sample and I love it it was about $180.
              You can flash that to a 5950 ultra you know
              Im using the same card, flashed and it works great
              It only has 128mb RAM as opposed to the "real" ultras 256 though, not really an issue though.

As for the thread starter : See if you can get any of the geforce 6x range, most of them are good. Even the low end LE is decent (not amazing...but decent) bang for your buck. The normal 6800 is also a fairly good priceerformace ratio.
              Thats going on UK prices though, i dont know how it will mount up where you are (im assuming US, will probably be cheaper there anyway).

I know a few people who have picked up 5900XT's at a cheap price and flashed them to 5950ultras. Super value if you can get one at a decent price. Stick to the big brands though, as they wont have any issues (its a mild overclock on the memory).

Comment

I have a FX 5600 ultra, great card, cost me $250 after last X-mas..I'm sure it's even cheaper now...check the FX 5950, prolly under $200.

Comment

You should save your money to get the X800.
                  If you get a 9600XT it will be obsolete in like a year and youll be looking for another card. The X800 will serve you better in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Newbie
                    You should save your money to get the X800.
                    If you get a 9600XT it will be obsolete in like a year and youll be looking for another card. The X800 will serve you better in the long run
                    He says clearly he'd like a NV card

Comment

Originally posted by Agent
                      You can flash that to a 5950 ultra you know
                      Im using the same card, flashed and it works great
                      It only has 128mb RAM as opposed to the "real" ultras 256 though, not really an issue though.
                      What is this "flash" you speek of?

Comment

What is this "flash" you speek of?
                        BIOS flashing. Highly risky (you may nuke your card) but also potentially highly rewarding (you may get a higher-level card for a fraction of the price.)

Comment

Umm where could I look into this?

Comment

Erm, yes, you can get a 9800 Pro for under $200 with shipping and that is the best card your going to get for your money. Even nVidia fanboys think so.

Comment

Umm where could I look into this?
                              http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...ighlight=5950u

Comment

Working...
                              X