Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to squeeze a bit more power out of your PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to squeeze a bit more power out of your PC?

One place to improve your system's performance is in the BIOS setup menu, where you can tweek various settings and squeeze a little more juice out of your machine. After changing each setting, boot up and run a current 3D title to test for system stability. If it crashes, return the setting to it's original state.

You do any of this at YOU own risk!! I cannot be held responsible for what YOU may do.

Step #1
    Soon after you power up your PC, you'll see the POST screen (usally in white letters). Watch the screen for instructions on how to "enter setup" or something simaler. In most cases you can hit the Delete or F9 key to enter the BIOS setup menu. (it will tell you what to hit)

Step #2
    Look thorugh your BIOS and find the page with an option Quick POST, Quick Power On Self Test or Quick Boot. Make sure thins in enabled; this redeces the annount of time you PC tacks to test itself before loading you OS. Next find the page with bootup options and make sure your hard drive is the first boot device. You can allways change this if you need to boot for a floppy or CD.

Step #3
    Next find the page with memory settings like CAS Latency and DRAM Command Rate. Try lowering the CAS Latency to 2 and setting the DRAM Command Rate to 1. Turn off ECC. even if your memory is ECC compilant, and check for system stability.

Step #4
    Set the AGP aperture size to half of you systems main memory (RAM) Like if you have 512 MB RAM set it to 256. Make sure the AGP fast wright is snabled, and that the AGP mode is 8x (or 4x depending on your card and mobo).

Step #4
    Turn off and BIOS chaching options and BIOS shadow options. Disable and build in peripherales you're not using, such as an onbord LAN adapter, sound codec, or RAID controller. btw Make sure CPU L1 and L2 cache are both enabled.
    Also Sence I got my new motherboard I can't turn off some of the chaching as windows runs very very slow. I was able to with me other motherboard though. So it seemd to depend on your motherboard.

Well I hope this helped some of you.....I tried to thing of just about all the tweeks I know....keep in mind not all of then are exact you might have to change then around to get the right setting.

i would like to also add....

DISABLE ONBOARD LEGASY AUDIO IF IT'S THERE, IT RAPES FPS !!

Comment

You might want to explain what all of this does a little better. I don't have the time to do it (truck's outside warming up, about to go to class ). You know some 12 year old is going to get home from school, read this, and then completely trash his parent's PC.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePerfectCore
        You know some 12 year old is going to get home from school, read this, and then completely trash his parent's PC.

Comment

yea, its nice of you to post all those tweaks. But i wont change a thing in my bios unless i'm sure what i'm doing.

for example, wtf is cas latency

please explain what all those action do or dont do.

Comment

I don't know what they ALL do just most and i'm not going to go through them all. But then ones I don't know where just experiment I just tryed it out to see what happened....if I had a negitive effect I just turned it bad. Which the only ones I got where a very slowed down windows a few times. Which I didn't include here.

Comment

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1

Comment

Re: What to squeeze a bit more power out of your PC?

Originally posted by DragonSlayer

Step #4
                Set the AGP aperture size to half of you systems main memory (RAM) Like if you have 512 MB RAM set it to 256. Make sure the AGP fast wright is snabled, and that the AGP mode is 8x (or 4x depending on your card and mobo).
                This isn't true.

From http://www.rojakpot.com

Host cycles that hit the aperture range are forwarded to the AGP bus without need for translation. The aperture size also determines the maximum amount of system memory that can be allocated to the AGP graphics card for texture storage.

Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of system memory, that is wrong!

The requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. So, if you upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be "deceived" into thinking that you will need even more AGP memory! On the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.

Comment

Well what's wrong with gaving it there even if you don't neen it kind like RAM. Just because you don't NEED a GB mean I should go get rid of half of it?

Comment

Re: What to squeeze a bit more power out of your PC?

Originally posted by DragonSlayer
                    Step #3
                    Next find the page with memory settings like CAS Latency and DRAM Command Rate. Try lowering the CAS Latency to 2 and setting the DRAM Command Rate to 1. Turn off ECC. even if your memory is ECC compilant, and check for system stability.

Step #4
                    Set the AGP aperture size to half of you systems main memory (RAM) Like if you have 512 MB RAM set it to 256. Make sure the AGP fast wright is snabled, and that the AGP mode is 8x (or 4x depending on your card and mobo)
                    #3 - Dont mess with your CAS unless you know your memory supports it. Anyone that dont know what CAS is in the first place runs the risk of it either
                    a) booting, but being unstable
                    b) not booting, and having to fiddle in their PC to reset the BIOS.

Bottom line is, if you dont know what CAS is, dont mess with it in the first place.

#4 is an old myth, i wish it would just go away.

Comment

I would read the motherboard's manual before changing any settings... esepcially memory settings like ECC or CAS latency.

Comment

i would like to add some esotheric setting:

- disable all "spread spectrum" settings or set them to 0%

it helps stability, but increases your emp (i like my computer having a high magnetic pulse, it's cool

oh, and if you have some ddr-ram which can run the same frequency than the fsb, (i have some 333ddr (=166 real) and 166mhz fsb on my athlon2600xp), set the ram-frequency to "SYNC", or "100%". it increases the stability AND speed.

btw, messing with the ram-timing is not necessary today. the things read out from their spd is correct and sufficient and stable. changing that will bring you just anger and perhaps 1% (if even that) speed.

and turning off ecc ist just plain stupid i think. it's done in hardware, so you don't loose speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X