Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Problems with CD-i530 card reader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Problems with CD-i530 card reader...

Hi everyone. This is more than slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd ask here as there is such a large userbase that someone must be able to help me!

I'm having problems with a new card reader that I just bought a few days ago. I've sent both the manufacturer and the place I bought it from e-mails to ask why it is not working, but I thought I'd also post the e-mail on here to explain my situation and see if anyone can come up with any suggestions.

Bear in mind I'm not new to PCs - I've been using them for over 10 years so I know what I'm doing! A simple card reader should be easy for me to install! Especially under Windows XP!

Anyway, here's the e-mail (sorry, its quite long but I needed to explain everything I have done to try to rectify the situation):

I recently purchased an In-Win CR-i530 card reader from yourselves and I am having problems getting Windows XP to recgonize any cards I try to read.

Before I explain my problem, here are my system specs:

• ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    • AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333Mhz FSB)
    • 2x 512MB Corsair PC2700 DDR 333Mhz
    • Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
    • Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm (8MB Cache)
    • LG DVD-RAM
    • LG DVD / CD-RW
    • Logitech MX510
    • Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

The CR-i530 features three different connection cables - one to go to an audio header, and two which connect to the USB header on the motherboard for the USB port and card reader ports.

I fitted the audio to the motherboard and it work flawlessly. When I plug in my headphones to the jack on the card reader, my normal speakers cut out and the headphones work as they should.

The USB port on the card reader works fine too. I plugged that into the USB header on my motherboard and it works as it should.

The problem comes when I try to read cards. When I first installed the three cables and booted Windows XP SP2 it recognized new hardware and proceeded to install the built-in driver. I presumed everything was working fine, until I tried to read a card. In My Computer, I have listed drives F:, G:, H: and I: as the four different types of card reader. However, when I double-click the icon to read the card, the screen moves on to the card itself but no content is displayed and the status bar says that there are 0 bytes on the card.

At first I thought it was just a software glitch, so I reset the card reader as it states in the (very brief!) intructions. You have to press a tiny button with a pin and the device is supposed to reset itself. It seems to reset but the power LED is orange (I'm assuming this means there is a problem with the drive - it doesn't actually say anything about these LEDs in the manual) and again, the cards cannot be read.

I know it is not the cards at fault because I have tried three different SD cards of different makes (Panasonic 16MB, PNY 64MB, A-DATA 128MB) and the reader does not find any of them. They all work fine in my Panasonic digital camera. I also tried a friend's 64MB PNY Memory Stick and the drive couldn't read that either.

I have searched the Internet for anything I could find to give me a clue as to why it isn't working. I have taken a look in Device Manager and it states "This device is working properly", when clearly it isn't!

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I thought it may have been a duff connection on my motherboard, so I swapped the connection round to where the USB cable was plugged in and it had no effect. I have searched for drivers, even though the device is not supposed to need them for Windows XP, and even tried to install the Windows 2000 driver, but that doesn't work.

I checked my BIOS but couldn't find anything that would stop the device from working.

As a last resort, I removed Service Pack 2 fearing that was what was causing incompatibilities, but that did not solve the problem.

I also have a second computer which I use for file sharing and testing BETA programs, things like that. I decided to see if the card reader would work in that machine, because at this time I was thinking that maybe the drive itself was faulty. That system's specs are as follows:

• Chaintech motherboard (can't remember the model - I'm at work)
    • AMD Duron 1200Mhz
    • 3x 128MB 133Mhz SD-RAM
    • GeForce 4 MX440 64MB
    • Seagate 10GB 7200rpm
    • Western Digital 40GB 7200rpm
    • Windows '98 Second Edition

This system does not have an audio header, but since I know that works on the card reader that was not a problem. I plugged in the cables to the USB header, booted Windows '98 and it found new hardware. I installed the driver, and hey presto, the device could read all 3 SD cards, as well as the Memory Stick! At this point I was tearing my hair out, as it was clear the device itself was not faulty!

As a last ditch attempt to get the device to work in my Windows XP PC, I decided to back up all of my data and format the PC and re-install Windows XP. Have you any idea how long it takes to back up over 80GB of files?! I had no idea until I tried it over the last two nights! Good job I just bought that DVD-RAM recorder!

This was a bit of a drastic measure to take, but was the only thing I could think of. As you can probably guess, I still can't get the device to read cards in Windows XP! I'm completely at a loss - I can't think of anything else that I could be doing wrong.

Is there anything your technical department could suggest as to what could be doing wrong? Or is it simply that this product is incompatible with Windows XP, even though it says it is on the box?!

I would appreciate it if you could look into this problem for me.
    Again, appologies for the length of the mail, but for anyone who does actually read the whole thing and knows what they're doing with PCs, please chip in your thoughts!

Thanks people!

It could actually be faulty .... wait for reply or return to shop for testing

Comment

But I tested it in another system, and it worked fine, so how could it be faulty?

Comment

erm, after re-reading your original post (oops), you do mention you used on a win98 pc and it worked ... perhaps it's the drivers then?

i'd still take back to the shop and whine at them; see if they can get working on another XP machine or not ....

Sounds like a driver thing but as u tried on another win98 pc and not a XP machine, im not sure.

Comment

The thing is, this device is designed for Windows XP and doesn't require any drivers for that OS! I've seen other people have said on forums that they just plugged the drive in as I have, Windows XP recognized the drives, and then they were able to read cards.

Mine recognizes the drives but then can't see any cards!

Weird, eh?

Thanks for your input anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by IronMonkey UK
            *SNIP*

Weird, eh?
            Thanks for your input anyway.
            Yes, very and I'm sorry I can't help further but I would take back to shop where you got it and see if they can get it to work on their XP machines - if it does (and reads the cards) then there is something bizarre about your configuration that's causing it not to read the cards ....

Good luck, I hate getting things and they don't work! So frustrating, especially if you're doing what it says in the installation instructions etc!

Comment

Yeah its so annoying. The "instructions" are one small piece of paper with a couple of diagrams on it and thats it! I basically had to figure it out for myself!

The thing is, the device is exactly what I need - front mounted USB socket for my MP3 player, audio ports for my headphones & microphone, and card reader for my camera.

If only the **** reader would work! I didn't buy it from a walk-in shop, I bought it from the Internet so I don't really want to RMA it because it will cost me money to send it back only for them to say there's nothing wrong with it (which I know in the first place).

Thanks for your help though!

Comment

Has anyone else had any problems similar to this with any other hardware before?

Comment

Anyone? Nobody at all can help?

Comment

try this

i kno this prob has been here for a while.. but jus incase u ve still got the same prob or someone else gets the prob then try this..

may be windows xp recognises it as a different card and installs the wrong drivers.. just manually install the drivers for that card.. its worth a try.. if it still doesn't work then u need to take it to the manufacturer/retailer..

Comment

Working...
                    X