Need HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need HELP

I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 and a pentium 4 1.7 Ghz processor, what makes doomIII and far cry run slow ? do i need to buy a better graphics card ? or a better pentium 4 processor with more Ghz like 2.8Ghz or 3.0Ghz ?

Ya, on both counts.

Comment

Real tech help.

I co run gameamps doom3 site, and staff the 2k4 site (just so you know I am not bs'ing you).

You can run it on lowest details with that vid card... but that cpu won't cut it.

You really want to beat 2 gigs (pentium clocks, amd equiv) in order to get a decent game.

If you want eye candy your going to need a faster card for sure. Though not that fast, you can pick up a 9700 pro, or a nvidia equivalent and you should be good to go at mid details with no issues provided your cpu clears 2 gigs.

Ram isn't really an issue. It will kill you on load times, and when entering a new room... but apart from that it's not the problem.

A 2.4 p4C is really cheap now, and you can score a 97/98/58/59 for cheap now as well. As long as you hit that you can run doom3 in mid at a good res just fine, if you tweak the drivers. Go to your control panel and turn everything you can for vis effects off (basicaly yank that bar to the left), and don't push the res to high.

Comment

thanx man, but will the ATI radeon 9800 128Mb be good enough for like doom III and stuff like that ? and what will u upgrade if u had the money to upgrade only one part? to a 3.0 Ghz p4 ? or a Radeon 9800 128mb, Radeon 9700 128, or Radeon 9600 256mb ?(which ever's is better from here)?

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA
          thanx man, but will the ATI radeon 9800 128Mb be good enough for like doom III and stuff like that ? and what will u upgrade if u had the money to upgrade only one part? to a 3.0 Ghz p4 ? or a Radeon 9800 128mb, Radeon 9700 128, or Radeon 9600 256mb ?(which ever's is better from here)?
          9800 pro 128, will clear doom3 fine provided you don't max it out... doing so your talking an x800pro/6800gt atleast, which is costly.

The main issue is going to be your cpu. A 9800 pro will choke on less than 2 gig cpu. If you up grade one your just forcing the bottle neck to another. In all truth the first thing you need to fix is your cpu power, and you can score a p4 2.4C fairly easily at a good price.

Once you get that the vid card is your next issue. 9700 pro if you can find one is uber cheap and rox. 9800 pro is easy to find, cost a tad more and a bit better. 9600 will not cut it. In the geforce series your going to want a 57/59, once again price to performance, but on the geforce side I would say you need the 59.

But the first hurdle you need to clear is cpu.

Comment

The 9800 pro will run doom 3 pretty good. I myself have a athlon 2100+ (1.7GHZ) and i can still run doom 3 at an average of 50-60 fps on the second highest quality setting.

My video card is a 9700 pro 128 megs video ram.

So the 9800 pro should be fine.

Comment

Will the Radeon 9800 128mb and the p4 3.0ghz work on my motherboard(MSI845pro2) and will my motherboard use all of the 9800 128mb's performance and quality ?

Comment

his computer's a Dell--not sure if the mobo will support a faster processor

Comment

Originally posted by tenfour
                  his computer's a Dell--not sure if the mobo will support a faster processor
                  How do you know it's a Dell? If that's true, then he may not be able to get one any of the recommended video cards, as he'll need a 300 watt power supply.

And while Saito's recommendations are good, I think I have to disagree with his priorities. By upgrading the video card, it's true that he'll move the bottleneck to the CPU, but that's less of a bottleneck than his current video card (which is horrible!). No matter what CPU, you'll have problems with that crappy card. But you can get by in those games with 1.7GHz and a decent card.

Comment

So would the graphics card Radeon 9800 128mb and the p4 3.0Ghz support that mother board (MSI845pro2) ? and in conclusion, what would i seriosly need to buy to run my doom II or unreal tournament on high quality ?

Comment

Working...
                    X