HEADSUP: UT2004 (P)review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm of the same mind of SiN. I don't like DM any more. I stopped liking it when UT came out. I played it to death in Unreal and games before that. But CTF is my favorite gametype. DOM was my second favorite gametype, followed by UT's AS (minus the impact hammer tricks) and I've gained a new respect for BR recently. UT2k4's ONS was very fun. I bet I play the heck out of that in UT2k4.

The only DM that interests me now is 1on1 DM with no superweapons, but it's been months since I played that. DM just does nothing for me.

I think it's perfectly alright for SiN to have his own opinions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kronon
    Yes, NA is North America. And its not like I invented that shortname
    Hehe it was 5am my time when I wrote that so I couldn't for the life of me think what "NA" meant for a minute or more. It dawned on me eventually so I asked just to make sure.

I just thought it would be cool with a tournament between the best NA players and the best from Epic. Ofcourse the Epic guys would lose, except possible in one of the new gametypes since they have a lot more training in those.
    I saw the Epic vs DE match they had and Epic owned the DE team but I think Epic could own many clans, though I wouldn't place them on the same league as the best clans in the world. They're not shabby though.

But sadly, Epic is extremely bad at this kind of community support. ID had a event about 6 years ago for Quake 1 with a Ferrari as first prize. Epic could learn a few things from them.
    Epic has been working with the CPL rather than sponsor the events themselves. They sponsor the MSU contest every year, which is something id has never done. id could learn some things from Epic, too.

PS: in case you don't know, I am neither from NA nor a top-player, so I am not suggesting this for some personal reasons.
    No that's cool. I think it would be great publicity if Epic did some playing on pubs or in clanmatches every once in awhile for grins. They have UTV so a lot of people can see the event. UT2k4 has a lot going for it and a little effort can go a long way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DrSin - don't waste your breath... it doesn't matter what you say or do to your games, they'll always be someone on the forums trying to bring you all down a peg or two...

<tangent>
    OMG - my dog keeps leaking farts below me... :cry: my eyes... .they're burning...
    </tangent>

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by X0n3r0g
    Way to support your product. :up:
    I'm the guy that supports the other game mods.

if you're fed up with gaming, why bother pretending like you care?

Who says I'm fed up. DM just doesn't do it for me. There are people here who still enjoy it. The other game mods are much more fun in my opinion. Note the word opinion.

Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by poobeard
    Lol. Thats no excuse though, he made RPG:haha:
    Ehrm, yes it is... if it was his first time on the server, his stats would have been way lower than everyone elses

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by willhaven
    much fun was had in the UT LMS days... hunting down campers... MASSIVE rivalries... map exploits... ahhhh... teh mammaries...
    You want some fun these days, try Excessive CTF or BR
    Get a 4v4 with people who really know the mod and you get some wild matches
    And yesssss.... enjoy teh mammaries... my precisoussssssssss

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, I wonder why. In UT I played CliffyB, Inoxx and even Mark. You know, they joined servers just to play us mortals for fun. A classic was in UT when me, Willhaven, FYM_Satan, FYM_Sicko and CliffyB played LMS. Ofcourse my ping wasnt that great (NA server, on a ISDN line from Sweden).

But you can't become really skilled unless you train and compete against other skilled players. This is the same in every sports btw.

Nothing stops you from dreaming about how skilled you are though

/Kronon
    i remember those days

satan was insane...

i believe cliff called me a "camping fu*kstick" that day

mysterial, andrew, and stu are all really good...

all good shots...

i cant hit ANYTHING these days... but im good at the game nonetheless. i may not be able to remove a head on command... but i can take objectives and destroy power cores like nobodys business

but i only won once in DM so far

there is almost the entire cross section of gamers here at epic. very hardcore players, great players, typical online players, and the people who play the game only for playtests

i used to live unreal and UT in my late highschool/early college days...

much fun was had in the UT LMS days... hunting down campers... MASSIVE rivalries... map exploits... ahhhh... teh mammaries...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DrSiN
    Matter of opinion I guess. NW DM is so what 8 years ago?
    if you're fed up with gaming, why bother pretending like you care?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Matter of opinion I guess. NW DM is so what 8 years ago?

Way to support your product. :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, NA is North America. And its not like I invented that shortname

I just thought it would be cool with a tournament between the best NA players and the best from Epic. Ofcourse the Epic guys would lose, except possible in one of the new gametypes since they have a lot more training in those.

But sadly, Epic is extremely bad at this kind of community support. ID had a event about 6 years ago for Quake 1 with a Ferrari as first prize. Epic could learn a few things from them.

/Kronon

PS: in case you don't know, I am neither from NA nor a top-player, so I am not suggesting this for some personal reasons.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    - the 4 best 1-on-1 player from Epic against the 4 best 1-on-1 player from NA in a double elimination tournament?
    - the best NA CTF team against Epic.
    - the best NA DM team against Epic.
    4 best NA...?

Who is NA? North American? It's late and I'm sleepy heh.

I think since all this centers around Andrew it would be unfair to try to draw SiN in just because he decided to reply into the thread. In fact I think it's also unfair to go after Andrew since it's not like he came in here bragging about himself.

A lot of skill is more than just item timing and control, but map knowledge and how to get around and which weapons to use in different situations. When UT first came out I played a handful of DM maps but switched to DOM for a couple months then CTF ever since. I joined the GTF 1on1 Tourney and I realized I didn't have a clue how to fight in most DM maps. I'd get schooled by lesser skilled players just because they knew the entire map, items, etc.

I'm a great CTF player and a good DM player. I'm better at 1on1 DM than normal DM because that's what I prefer playing, on the few maps in DM I actually like playing. My problem is, like many others, that I prefer one gametype (CTF in my case) and I suffer in DM maps and in other gametypes because quite frankly I'm lost or don't know my way around. The best players in the world still have to learn the maps for that skill to be fully realized.

IMRO.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SealClubber
    nahhh.. dont put joust in the demo, it will freak everyone out if they see that map in there
    Isn't joust the map with 2 rooms and a straight corridor between?

Actually, that map could be fun, but please don't include it in the demo. A regular 1-on-1 map (or a bigger map thats suited for 1-on-1 as well) would be nice though, together with a normal DM map, and something for ONS and CTF.

/Kronon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [B]

Sure, soon as the game ships.. if I can't convince them to put Joust in the demo (doubtful).

nahhh.. dont put joust in the demo, it will freak everyone out if they see that map in there

Leave a comment:

• replied
    :haha: @ this thread ....

Enjoyed the review though, and it's funny to hear the 'tards come out in force :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So by your example, without 100's of hours of practicing in game design your suggestions and ideas are have little meaning.. hmm...

It's also assumes that none of us have clan and/or "professional" tournament experiance which is also wrong.

Oh, and I secretly played some of the best in the world while they warmed up at the CPL last year. While I doubt I could manage but a frag or two in DM, I'd put Andrew very close to their level.
    You often accuse me of putting words in your mouth. Maybe you should listen to yourself more in this case.

But yes, a player with lots of experience and knowledge of the game do generally have better suggestions than new players (ofcourse there are exceptions).

But why don't arrange a small tournament:
    - the 4 best 1-on-1 player from Epic against the 4 best 1-on-1 player from NA in a double elimination tournament?
    - the best NA CTF team against Epic.
    - the best NA DM team against Epic.

Record demos and broadcast the game with UTV. It would be a fun event to spectate (although personally I am pretty sure I know how it will end).

You can even hold it one month after the release of UT2004. That will give you a 6 months headstart in experience against the players, and you will need that.

/Kronon

PS: yuack, I am suggesting PR stunts to Epic *bleh*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X