HEADSUP: UT2004 (P)review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEADSUP: UT2004 (P)review...

I don't know if you're all aware... but there is quite a nifty UT2004 (P)review at Games Radar

Flame away if it's old news... I really couldn't give a ......

thats new to me, thanks for the heads up:up:

Comment

And there's the pro-gamer circuit to satisfy. "We have guys on our team like Andrew Shydeck who are as good as, if not better than, any pro-player, and we have to make sure he's happy.
      who the hell is Andrew Shydeck?

edit: very nice preview, bridge of fate sounds a bit like Hydro,

Comment

Ok, interesting article, although it was full of UT2k3/2k4 praise
        I haven't heard anywhere before this.
        Don't get me wrong, I still think 2k4 is going to be a good game
        in it's own right, and a lot of what they are saying in this interview
        really has an appealing sound to it - but still - is UT2k4 going to
        be good in a way that people keep playing it online?

What can be said for sure is it's not going to be a game in the old
        fast-fragging hallway FPS design (UT, Q3, Q2, CS..).

[Satirical mode]

I think we did make a conscious effort in UT2003 to put in some good pro-play features, like the GUI we developed for the CPL that lets you lock in the options and make it fair for everybody.

W h a t ?

...sorry, w h a t ?!?
        So who are Epic making games for? The pros? The modders? The consumers? "I think we make a game that we want to play," says Rein.
        Great! That's the target consumer group then..

[/Satirical mode]

Comment

Nice little quote on the article about my favorite mod (deathball):

Which explains Joust: it's included not because it's spectacularly beautiful. It's included because it's spectacular fun. About the peripheral stuff: Epic, through Unreal, lead two scenes. Their support of the mod community is exemplary. Through the 'Make Something Unreal' competition, Epic have offered professional support to a vast array of amateur developers. It's a decision that's causing more than a few headaches for Rein. "I'm proud of the contest, but I'm a little bit disappointed in ourselves, because we're totally overwhelmed with the number of entries we've had.

The first phase ended and we're just now getting to judge it. We've had a couple of retail quality mods - like Deathball - that are just brilliant.

"When we started the contest, we approached nVidia and asked them to be the title sponsor. They asked us, 'Are you sure that putting up this game engine is worth it. Will the winners be professional enough to appreciate it?' That question was answered within 24 hours of the closing of the competition. There are six or seven mods that are worthy of becoming stand-alone games."

Comment

this thing was posted up there like five days ago, and at the end of the articlemark rein said they expected a success as of november...

so the game might not be delayed after all:up:

Comment

We've had a couple of retail quality mods - like Deathball - that are just brilliant
              You've gotta be f*cking kidding me...
              Anyone who's been following DB since 1.3 will know 1.3-1.4 was DB's peak.
              You can't even find a quarter of the amount of players then versus now

Comment

That's a great article. I'm so tired of all the other articles that use the same "preview" formula, where some schmoe got to play the game or talk to Mark/Cliff/etc, and for their writing they just reiterated through the ONS, AS, and vehicle descriptions for the trillionth time. YAWN.

Granted, this article didn't contain any new information on the game itself, it's finally nice to see that Mark is explaining their motivation behind UT2004. He admitted that it's inspired by today's growing trends, and that Epic isn't above "borrowing" ideas from proven concepts and making them better.

Here's looking forward to November :up:

Comment

"Come November, we expect nothing less than success. "

No doubt :up:

Comment

who the hell is Andrew Shydeck?
                    I think he means Andrew Scheidecker, who is our main graphics programmer, and pretty handy with a shock combo. Although that Mysterial guy who is around here at the moment has some skills... :-)

Comment

SCHWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by X0n3r0g
                        http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/upload_i...real1710_1.jpg
                        SCHWEET!
                        Looks like he's holding Enforcers... :weird:
                        I mean, c'mon, his thumbs go thru the grenade clips :weird:

Comment

Originally posted by Kel
                          Looks like he's holding Enforcers... :weird:
                          I mean, c'mon, his thumbs go thru the grenade clips :weird:

oh god, it's the end of the world.....

Comment

And there's the pro-gamer circuit to satisfy. "We have guys on our team like Andrew Shydeck who are as good as, if not better than, any pro-player, and we have to make sure he's happy.
                            ROFL, yea right.

I wonder how many thinks this way? Not just Epic employees but pub-players who gets a wicked sick and then 'OMG I could beat anyone'.

Its like playing your little sister in chess, and after a couple of months you think: 'Hey, I am pretty good. I bet I could beat Kasparov'

If Epic makes the balance from the viewpoint that players can't be ant better than Andrew and Mysterial, then the competitive community will have really big problems in UT2004.

I think it would be a good idea if Epic invited someone like Lotus and play a couple of UT2003 1-on-1 against him. Just for education purpose. And after the best Epic players have played him, without a single frag, they might actually be in a better position to understand the balance of the game.

/Kronon

Comment

> this thing was posted up there like five days ago, and
                              > at the end of the articlemark rein said they expected a
                              > success as of november...

Re-read that article carefully. It's not Mark Rein who said that...it was the interviewers or the editor of the article.

This is how rumors become fever-pitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X