This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoeff
    its an ATA/100 card what im thinking of now (WD) and thats ultra IDE? okay... can my mobo suport that/if a mobo suports IDE does that mean all types of IDE?
    Your mobo supports IDE and EIDE. EIDE is backward compatable. Your mobo I would bet supports at least up to ATA 100. It may even support ATA 133, manual should tell you.

Comment

SATA is basically ata 150.

Comment

sata is better and i also recommend wester digital drives, i got 2 120gb drives in my comp....considering getting an other 1 cuz i seem to be running out of space.

Comment

mhe ok, it will suport it then ..

but ehm, read the edit?

and this is the one im after now:

http://silverapp1.mycom.nl/MyCom/Sto...&productType=1

Originally posted by hellseeker
          sata is better and i also recommend wester digital drives, i got 2 120gb drives in my comp....considering getting an other 1 cuz i seem to be running out of space.
          my mobo doesnt support SATA and buying a controllor is going over my budget here...

Comment

When I get my hdd upgrade I will be going to 2 200GB WD SATA drives and will be using a controller card to connect them. I will then remove my current controller card.

Comment

Originally posted by Freezrburn
              When I get my hdd upgrade I will be going to 2 200GB WD SATA drives and will be using a controller card to connect them. I will then remove my current controller card.
              i dont have 354 euros :bulb: (thats the mycom price)

and it doest matter that much to have ATA/100 or ATA/150 (SATA) right?

Comment

I saw your edit and posted again after reading it. SATA is basically ATA 150. The drive you are looking at is a good drive. You won't need any additional hardware to connect it.

Comment

That's funny, I have one of the 40GB drives and it does great. The problems I kept hearing about were in the larger Maxtor drives.
                  It was a 40 GB ATA133 7200 RPM w/2 MB cache. It seems, according to my research, that many other people had numerous write-cache errors. I used the Maxblast utility to correct the problem, but it came back a couple of times, so I just replaced it with a 200 GB drive before it actually did die on me.

Originally posted by Krille3.2
                  IDE
                  SATA
                  SCSI

from fast to faster
                  Actually, that is no longer correct, necessarily. I read an article in Maximum PC where they tested a 10K RPM Raptor SATA HDD vs 10K and 15K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI HDDs.

Here is breakdown of the results:

Avg Read Speed(MB/sec)
                  10K SATA - 61.7
                  10K SCSI 320 - 46.8
                  15k SCSI 320 - 55.1

Avg Write Speed (MB/sec)
                  10K SATA - 36.1
                  10K SCSI 320 - 34.3
                  15k SCSI 320 - 41.0

Burst Speed(MB/sec)
                  10K SATA - 111
                  10K SCSI 320 - 97
                  15k SCSI 320 - 100

Random Access Time(ms) (includes avg 2 ms latency)
                  10K SATA - 7.9
                  10K SCSI 320 - 7.2
                  15k SCSI 320 - 5.5

As you can see, the 15K SCSI 320 has a much faster random access time than the other drives. But looking at the amount of data you can move with a SATA drive, why spend the money on SCSI?

Comment

I saw your edit and posted again after reading it. SATA is basically ATA 150. The drive you are looking at is a good drive. You won't need any additional hardware to connect it.
                    ok. TY

can i close the thread or do i need to know more?

Comment

i dont have 354 euros :bulb: (thats the mycom price)

and it doest matter that much to have ATA/100 or ATA/150 (SATA) right?
                      I haven't installed a SATA yet but I expect it will be a noticeable diff. I don't notice much diff so far from ATA 100-133. Running ATA 100 currently. I will see a big diff when I do the upgrade due to only having 2mb cache right now. I have seen how fast the 8mb cache drives are.

Comment

ok. TY

can i close the thread or do i need to know more?
                        You seem to be pretty well squared away.

Comment

I have 20 Gig HDD and I'm happy with it. :up:

Comment

I haven't installed a SATA yet but I expect it will be a noticeable diff. I don't notice much diff so far from ATA 100-133. Running ATA 100 currently. I will see a big diff when I do the upgrade due to only having 2mb cache right now. I have seen how fast the 8mb cache drives are.
                            ok ...

closing...

Comment

Working...
                            X