This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Going to buy a new HDD

Sorry for the OT thread (OMG, SECOND THIS MONTH)
    I will close this thread once ive decided

This community seems to have alot of experts when it comes to computers...

I dont want to buy it online and i only have 2 stores (Computerland and Mycom... to lazy to cycle outside my city...)

I want a HDD as big as posible (250 is enough...)

I asked a frend of mine that knows alot about comps and he recomended this one (from Computerland):

Maxtor 250 GB 8mb 7200r Serial ATA 150

its 200 Euro's (about 230 to 250 USD i think)
    But thats just him saying something ... I would like opinions of more than 1 person

I recently bought a new power box (dunno how to call it) and on the box it says "Serial ATA Cable Included" so it should be ok ...

MyCom only have Western Digital brand (250 GB) brand ones and acording to my frends they suck ....

Stores (Dutch sites):

Computerland (HDD section)
    Mycom (HDD section)

Oh and 200 Euro's is the maximum i can spend atm ...

-Zoeff

Many around here state just the opposite. I used to use Maxtor exclusively but they kept failing on my friends and I've had one go out on me. Western Digital is a very good brand. I am in the market for a couple of 200GB SATA drives myself (I am getting mine from a local reseller) and they will be WD drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Freezrburn
      Many around here state just the opposite. I used to use Maxtor exclusively but they kept failing on my friends and I've had one go out on me. Western Digital is a very good brand. I am in the market for a couple of 200GB SATA drives myself (I am getting mine from a local reseller) and they will be WD drives.
      hmm.. WD ...

/me tried to contact his frend...

Comment

WesternDigital is all i'll buy.

Their Raptor drives are supposedly the best, but that's out of my budget.

Comment

36GB Raptors only $112 now at NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...144-200&depa=1

Want one but not getting until next build.

Comment

get 2x200gb seagate ide 200euro

Comment

I don't think it's worth sweating over a choice of hard drive brands too much, they're mostly all passable. Anything with 7200rpm 8mb etc. etc. is fine. I'd just get whatever's on sale for the most part.

IBM's Deskstar (Deathstar) drives had a slight problem with seizing up
              I think maybe exploding into white hot chunks of platter metal, but the rest are probably ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DJMattB2421
                WesternDigital is all i'll buy.

Their Raptor drives are supposedly the best, but that's out of my budget.
                just as Freezrburn predicted ... WD recomended....

but erm ...

Originally Written by Qubix on MSN ...
                Theres somethin inside me that pulls beneith the surface.. Consuming, Confusing! zegt:
                ik heb nog nooit een dooie maxtor gehad
                Theres somethin inside me that pulls beneith the surface.. Consuming, Confusing! zegt:
                nog NOOIT
                en al 3x een dooie WD
                en heb maar 3x een WD gehad...
                it means that he got in total 3 WG and they all died .. all his Maxtor ones (about 20 in total :bulb are still alive...

so .. errrr...

Originally posted by fiLa
                get 2x200gb seagate ide 200euro
                may i ask why?

Originally posted by blh
                I don't think it's worth sweating over a choice of hard drive brands too much, they're mostly all passable. Anything with 7200rpm 8mb etc. etc. is fine. I'd just get whatever's on sale for the most part.

IBM's Deskstar (Deathstar) drives had a slight problem with seizing up
                I think maybe exploding into white hot chunks of platter metal, but the rest are probably ok.
                well... i never realy whines about HDD's untill IBM suddenly stopped making them (my father works there so he can get IBM stuff realy cheap )

Comment

I'd go with the one you posted, Maxtor are usually very good for me and if the drive does happen to fail (happened once to me and I've had about 8 or so Maxtor drives excluding replacements) the process of getting them to replace it is quite painless.

Comment

I won't buy Maxtor anymore, due to their unreliability. Seagate and Western Digital are both very good.

Comment

Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler
                      I'd go with the one you posted, Maxtor are usually very good for me and if the drive does happen to fail (happened once to me and I've had about 8 or so Maxtor drives excluding replacements) the process of getting them to replace it is quite painless.
                      1 died out of 8 .... is that good?

and replacing painless??? i dont like data loss...

Originally posted by Virax
                      I won't buy Maxtor anymore, due to their unreliability. Seagate and Western Digital are both very good.
                      jeezz... all the replies... cant keep up ...

so your also 1 that has alot of dead Maxtors :bulb:

Comment

Fortunately, I have only had one Maxtor fail on me. My friends haven't had the same luck in most cases. They just don't seem to have the same reputation they had about 4 years ago. Maxtor was all I would buy at that time but they seem to have gone down hill over the last few years while WD has been impressing me more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Freezrburn
                          Fortunately, I have only had one Maxtor fail on me. My friends haven't had the same luck in most cases. They just don't seem to have the same reputation they had about 4 years ago. Maxtor was all I would buy at that time but they seem to have gone down hill over the last few years while WD has been impressing me more and more.
                          did you check if ur frend has a smaller power suply that you have?

maby maxtor wants teh powah ... (400 W here, so that should be enough)

Comment

Data loss should never be a pain if you have the sense to backup your important stuff (and I have an install of my OS one on each of my drives so if one does fail I haven't lost much and recovering will be short), you should never ever completely rely on a HD (of any make) to store important data

My experiences with Maxtor drives has been quite good, they give you good storage for a good price and the one time a drive of theirs failed on me it was replaced with no hassle.

Comment

Mine all ran fine from a 300W PSU. Most of my friends that were having this issue were running 400W and those that weren't were running no smaller than 300W.

Comment

Working...
                              X