Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by 191
    I disagree, ID makes the new standards, not Epic. ID engines are the engines that set the standards for years to come. Even now the Quake 2 and 3 engines are still used in new commercial projects.
    That's history.

30+ (known) UnrealEngine2 commercial products right now. Show me how many commercial games were done with Q3A engine... then show me how many are lined up for Doom3. Certainly, Quake2 set standards and has been the standard for years (moreso than Q3A, one could argue, given the role of HL). I'm just saying that things change...

Dont get me wrong, i respect ID... and think doom3 will set technology standards. But that's different from BEING the norm, and beign the standard for development purposes.

Right now, UE2 is that standard... and ID (and others) have to catch up or seek to catch the market down the road for the next wave.

If you map, model, or program... and want into the industry... seems to me that you can quickly realize that unreal is where it is at (in spite of HL2 hype).

$1,00,000 Contest.

Movie making tools which no other game engine right now provides... (and you get to download it for free)

Unparalleled support (3dbuzz.com VTMs alone squashe the years of Q3a tutorials)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if you want other FPS to check out... and IF you really like online gameplay...

Battlefield 1942 (and get the Desert Combat and EveOfDestruction mods)

Half-Life (counter strike & natural selection mods)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TseTse
    the unreal engine is THE standard. the series is historic and still alive.
    I disagree, ID makes the new standards, not Epic. ID engines are the engines that set the standards for years to come. Even now the Quake 2 and 3 engines are still used in new commercial projects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For a start you are missing Unreal from that list. Go and buy it straight away!

I think the biggest difference betweeen Unreal series games and other fps games is the speed. U games are very fast and have dodging, whereas other fps games do not.

I would also recommend going and getting half-life, since it is probably the best single-player fps ever.

And Doom, since it started the whole thing off.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ill be dead honest....

i group UT and UT2k3 with Quake3, as they are all similar generation of online gameplay... oriented around running, with major splash damage weapons... and very high frag-per-minute counts.

in other words, you die a lot in them, with high respawn rates. they are also more "56k friendly" by having large projectiles with splash dominate gameplay.

unreal... well, is a different story. i'd just say that the series has expanded quite well and shall continue to expand from the looks of it.

what's so exciting, to me, about UT2k4 and Unreal2 XMP is that they shall very STRONLY take the series into new and potent territory.... breaking away from merely the old school gameplay (although ut2k* has it bundled inside).

only a small, vocal group of complainers really focus on the negatives.

the unreal engine is THE standard. the series is historic and still alive.

:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In FPS we have also 2 groups, story driven single player and "non-story" driven Multiplayer.

Unreal > great single player FPS

UT > great Online FPS

nothing more nothing less to say about it.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Why the Unreal series rule FPS

Why the Unreal series rule FPS

UT and 2k3 are the only FPS I've played on PC, so how do they compare to other FPS?
    No UT v 2k3 posts please. There are enough of those.
Working...
X