[OT]De-fanged California game bill becomes law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT]De-fanged California game bill becomes law

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signs once-draconian Assembly Bill 1793 into law.

After 10 months in committee and dozens of revisions, the game-regulating California Assembly Bill 1793 has finally become law. Sponsored by Assemblyman Leland Yee (D-San Francisco), the bill, in its original form, would have classified M-rated games under Section 313 of the California criminal statutes as "harmful matter to children."

Under its auspices, anyone caught selling M-rated games to minors could have been punished with a $2,000 fine and received a year in jail. It would have also required game retailers to separate M-rated games and display them where minors could not see them, much like the adult film section of video-rental stores.

However, the bill signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger--who is himself the star of several games, including the recent Terminator 3: Redemption--this afternoon bears little resemblance to Yee's original. Under the new law, "video game retailers will be required to post signs spelling out the availability of a video game rating system and brochures explaining the system." Pressure from various groups--including the game industry--led to numerous revisions of the bill, which led to the removal of much of its regulatory teeth.

k

Comment

I think this is pretty harmless and the governator knows it. I guess we just wait and see.

Comment

This relevant... how?
        Essentially hardly anything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
          This relevant... how?
          Essentially hardly anything changed.
          You can get a free booklet if you ask the shopkeeper nicely

I am surprised that they watered down the bill to that degree though.

Comment

Re: [OT]De-fanged California game bill becomes law

Originally posted by nathjan
            Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signs once-draconian Assembly Bill 1793 into law.
            It would have also required game retailers to separate M-rated games and display them where minors could not see them, much like the adult film section of video-rental stores.
            This would sort of be sensible, if it weren't for the fact that all shops would have to build a couple of new walls or something like that.

imo, game ratings should be upheld. I've never actually been able to get a game while under an particular age limit myself (which is a good thing despite what I thought at the time) although for an example, my dad bought carmageddon for me since he appreciated that at the time I had a sensbile enough mindset to play it as a game and not to take it seriously.

Comment

If you make people aware of the ratings etc... for videogames, mothers will no longer have that kind of rubbish excuse to put the blame onto them.

Therefore, good stuff!

Comment

this changes nothing.

"hey mister high school guy.. i'll give ya $5 if you go in there & buy me Slaughter School Massacre II".

think about it.
                the law cannot make a good parent.

:sour:

Comment

Agreed with MrWotsit.

Enforcement of video game ratings means that kids should not have access to violent games. If they have hold of violent games then the fault lies with a)the person who bought them it, and b)the parents for not noticing. Video game ratings should be upheld the same as film ratings. A kid may be able to sneak a look at an older brothers game collection, or a parent may buy them a game after reviewing it first, but a 6 year old isnt gonna be able to walk into Game and buy GTA3.

Comment

Why would it be a bad thing for the law to protect children?

Anyway - Laws won't improve ***** unless parents take some ******* responsibility ...

I allow my lad(13) to play UT .. always have ... but if he ever combos some kid to death - he's in serious trouble!!

Comment

So all the M-rated titles will be moved to the "red room" where shady people in filthy trench coats gather and leer?

Comment

I don't believe video games, violent or not, are harmful to children. I have played violent games since I was 4 and I never once contemplated shooting up school. I'm sick of the industry being used as a scapegoat for bad parenting.

However I don't mind this law for the pure fact that it eliminates one more complaint of parents who claim video games, not thier utter lack of parenting, are the reason their kid went on a killing spree.

Comment

Originally posted by C1CB01
                          So all the M-rated titles will be moved to the "red room" where shady people in filthy trench coats gather and leer?
                          Nope that's the old "full-fanged" proposition.

Read the whole first post I did the same myself (only read first part)

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
                            Nope that's the old "full-fanged" proposition...

Comment

Governated! :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X