Does anyone know what could cause this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what could cause this?

I was just playing iCTF when a player joined and their name started changing to ones that ppl were using. This player was only on for a few minutes and changed his name serveral times. I don't believe he did manually, it changed automatically. As far as I can tell nothing else suspicious was going on. Im just curious, has anyone seen this before? Not that a pic matters, I thought you guys could use a bit of eye candy. :P

[shot]http://members.shaw.ca/muggsnjuggs/name%20(Small).JPG[/shot]

Well he could have used the console command for changing name (setname <playername>) which is a lot quicker than manually going to settings and doing it.

Comment

I came across something like this before.

This guy joined and had a name of " " (nothing). Anytime he would stand next to anyone, his name changed to theirs

People have also told me that if that person talks while standing next to someone, his name would come up as theirs

I never saw the last thing happen though.

Comment

yeah name stealers
        really used to be harder to kick a person cheating

in cs its got so bad that you can get a program to randomly change your name every 1/4 second

But i guess he was just doing it to tick you off

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
          Well he could have used the console command for changing name (setname <playername>) which is a lot quicker than manually going to settings and doing it.
          IIRC i don't think that's allowed, changing name via setname to an existing one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ickle
            IIRC i don't think that's allowed, changing name via setname to an existing one.
            Oh it's allowed all right, you just have to know how to do it. Not many people do. The same trick is also used in changing your name to nothing.

I only do it when someone's acting like a complete *******. (Ie, "OMG NEWB WTF YOU FLAK SPAMMER HAX")

Comment

Ahhh 'that' way....nvm then.

Comment

The5thviruz, was it me? I've done it before just for relaxation purposes or when someone's being a jackass on the server. Never to annoy anyone. Well, maybe once when [ELF]Helios was ruining a match and I faked him while spectating and started saying he was gay
                Well, if it was me then it was not meant to bug you. Anyway, I lag too much nowadays to even fake:bulb:

Comment

I here the name change thing is part of an a new Aimbot Package.

Comment

hey jug!

where you guys been playing?

{SBD}DM_Soldier

Comment

I don't think this was an aimbot program of any kind, if it was, its gotta be the worst coded one out there. Of the whole 3 minutes that he was there I killed him maybe 5 times versus his 2 on me. As the screenie shows we were playing CTF-Maul.

I haven't lost any sleep over this, I just find it strange.

DM_Soldier1----> put {SBD}* in your buddies list. You'll find me playing with them.

Comment

I think he would have changed it manually.

Comment

You guys are missing the oblivious. With all the other characters UT recognizes now. ie: colored names
                          He could have very easily had a symbol in front of his name that you couldn't see. Thus UT let him play by that name since it wasn't the same. Add an underscore between your name and your tag and it probably won't happen again. Since you'd be using all the spaces allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by JuGGS
                            DM_Soldier1----> put {SBD}* in your buddies list. You'll find me playing with them.
                            poor ******** turned insta....

Comment

Well It's Official The name change thing is a hack, ELF(Rest of name omitted) Just as I thought Tried to get on my server tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X