Ok, I just decided to buy the following system for $1400:

3400 AMD Athlon 64
    Radeon 9800 Pro/128mb
    1024mb DDR Ram PC 3200 (400mhz)
    320gb Hitachi 7200rpm / 8.5ms / 8mb
    DVD +/- Burner Nec ND-3500A
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    Tower with LCD screen and 550 Watt

I still have around $250 left and would like to know in what to invest. Anything else I need a part from the monitor? Thanks for your wisdom guys/girls

get a nice, big power supply for the proc and HDD.

Comment

550W....should be enough

Comment

Gaming Mouse maybe?

Comment

you got all that for 1400 USD? where? tell me please because i too am shopping for a new rig.

Comment

Re: [OT]What to buy...

Originally posted by Sir Furious

I still have around $250 left and would like to know in what to invest. Anything else I need a part from the monitor? Thanks for your wisdom guys/girls
            upgrade to a more current vid card
            6800gt or so
            and yea PS to handle it

if you stuck using your current monitor so be at least you wont be out buying a new card after you realize the 9800 pro is a bottleneck for that system

Originally posted by Porus
            you got all that for 1400 USD? where? tell me please because i too am shopping for a new rig.
            www.ibuypower.com is good

Comment

550W....should be enough
              link to the tower? i'm in the market for one, best i could find was this

Comment

550W....should be enough
                A crappy 550W is worse than a good 350W. Better invest in a GOOD PSU. Don't look at just the specs, keep the brand in mind. There's a good chance a cheap 550W PSU will crash or trash your PC if it takes about 400W.

Comment

powmax

....nope,,dont skimp on the ps
                  for a antec case/450w ps youd be around $150
                  550w antecs are $100
                  you could find a cheap good case and buy a good power supply for it

Comment

I'm all with Boksha on this one.

I bought a semi-cheap 550W PSU.. It woudn't boot the machine.
                    I checked the BIOS and the voltage number graph looked like a roller coaster... :bulb:

I returned it and for the re-fund + some more I bought a Zalman PSU instead. It booted instantly and I haven't had issues since. The graph now looks more like a interstate.

Comment

Well, I had to convert around 1900Swiss Franks into $...not too many Swiss people in this forum I guess.

Anyway, the address of the shop is Supercom

The shop seems to have a pretty good reputation from what I read in forums...

Oh, I already have a mouse (MX510 forever), and a 17" screen of good quality...

I'm gonna check out reviews for the X800 XT and Geforce 6800...

Comment

17''? Think bigger dude

The screen is your prime output from the computer.

I got a 21'' only downside is the LAN factor.. have the keyboard in my lap usualy and it's a beast to carry.. =\

I want a flat 17'' (or smaller) to hock up on the side of this one to run dual screen and bring that screen along to lans....

Comment

Re: [OT]What to buy...

Ok, I just decided to buy the following system for $1400:

3400 AMD Athlon 64
                          Radeon 9800 Pro/128mb
                          1024mb DDR Ram PC 3200 (400mhz)
                          320gb Hitachi 7200rpm / 8.5ms / 8mb
                          DVD +/- Burner Nec ND-3500A
                          Asus K8V SE Deluxe
                          Tower with LCD screen and 550 Watt

Is that athlon 64 939 pin? If yes, good!

Invest on a better graphics card, say, the 6800 GT. Or the 800XT.

LCD monitors SUCK for gaming, everything is blurry and quick movement games (like ut2k4) look really bad. Just go for like a ViewSonic G90ƒ PerfectFlat CRT monitor.

Comment

A 17" flat monitor is what I have right now and a 21" has to wait till Xmas I'm afraid. Going to NYC in a month and later to Skandinavia to visit a friend of mine...and they wouldn't give me the flights for free, ********!!

edit: @PointBlank -> nope, not Sockel 939, but I might be able to exchange the MB and Processor since you can configure systems on the site. I'll check it out. BTW, why is Sockel 939 better apart from being AMD's future standard?

Comment

Yepp we are greedy.

Where you going?

I'm in Göteborg/Gothenburg, Sweden

Comment

Working...
                              X