3D audio vs H/W 3D Audio vs +EAX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D audio vs H/W 3D Audio vs +EAX

Please post your sound card and what speakers/headphones you use to play UT2004 with as well as what audio mode you run UT2004 please.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between

- 3D Audio
    - H/W 3D Audio
    - H/W 3D Audio +EAX

I know for a fact that running it on 3D audio will give you the best performance but does it matter what you have this on in terms of listening to players picking up weapons, and listening to their footsteps?

I run it on 3D audio all the time, but recently i changed to H/W 3D audio and i must say, although i dont notice any major difference in sound quality between this and 3D audio, i do know there is something very different about it. H/W 3D Audio sounds very strange to me, picking up pickups sounds very quite, shooting sounds louder, music is a little quiteter.

When i run it on H/W 3D audio +EAX everything has an echo to it.

Also when switching from 3d Audio to H/W i got a headache after 10 minutes.

So people can someone explain what each one is suppose to do in terms of quality. And can anyone run the H/W and EAX settings? or do you need a good sound card to use these options effectively?

I got a Sound Blaster Live sound card and cheap(ISH) pair of headphones.

come on guys? someone?

Comment

Sorry man, I can't answer your questions, but at least I am bumping your thread. Here is some additional info, FWIW...

This forum doesn't let you search on 3-letter terms like "EAX". If it did, you would find a few posts about issues with HW EAX and VOIP: some people have found that enabling HW EAX will disable VOIP (but not everyone). Maybe try a longer term like "audio" to get around the forum limitations.

Comment

3D Audio means all the sound processing is done by your CPU and is AFAIK stereo/two speakers only.

HW 3D means that the sound processing is given to your soundcard to do, this means that you can now have multi-channel sound - 4/5.1 speakers. (Not sure if it supports 6.1/7.1). This method can apparently slow down your FPS a little, but if you've got a fairly decent system it shouldn't be noticeable in the slightest.

HW3D + EAX This option is really only for Audigy 1 & 2 cards, as UT2004 uses EAX advanced (ie EAX 3) and this version of EAX is only supported on those cards. It's the same as above, but now EAX effects are added to the sound (sound occlusion, echo, reverb etc). It may cause problems with the games built in VOIP but if you're not intending to use it, it's not a problem.

I personally use HW3D + EAX as I have an Audigy soundcard and a set of 5.1 speakers. It sounds great and I've never noticed any framerate drop using it.

Comment

I only seen a 2 fps drop when using HW vs. 3D Audio. Not enought to effect gameplay.

Comment

Interesting, I am using my Motherboards onboard 5.1 for the hardware.

This brings up a question, are separate soundcards that much better than onboard?

I have selected the 3D H/W and it sounds good, but some of the sounds are muffled. (like picking up items)

Comment

yea Epic you hear that? VOICE IP DOES NOT WORK WITH EAX ENABLED. Enough with the water splashes..please fix core features of the game

</rant>

Comment

Originally posted by Killroy X
                This brings up a question, are separate soundcards that much better than onboard?

I have selected the 3D H/W and it sounds good, but some of the sounds are muffled. (like picking up items)
                It depends on the codec used by your onboard. I understand some of the new mb's have sound quality and CPU overhead that rivals PCI-based sound cards.

I know what you mean about the muffled thing. I went from Soundstorm to an Audigy 2 ZS and the difference in clarity is astounding. And the ZS doesn't hit frame rates at all from what I can tell.

BottomsUp: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by <boB|BottomsUp
                  yea Epic you hear that? VOICE IP DOES NOT WORK WITH EAX ENABLED. Enough with the water splashes..please fix core features of the game

</rant>
                  Yes I agree :up:

Comment

OK, here is something else I didn't notice. In UT2004, nothing comes out of my center channel. I have a 5.1 set up and my motherboard supports this as well.

Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

The diffrends between HW 3D and HW 3D EAX is that:
                      it 's really a soundcar based.. creative uses EAX .. as a fact they own it.
                      So whats the diffrends, a normal soundcard with H/w3D can only do 1 sound in a erea at the time.
                      with EAX it can go up to 4 sounds (left right front back) this is really usefull and a must for alot of top players since It's kinda DUH and usefull if u can hear your enemy from behind, when ur in battel with someone. U can't have that with a normal sound card which does not support EAX.

the facts.
                      Does UT2004(epic) recommand to use creative soundcards? Yes
                      is it needed? no
                      Are u forced to buy such sound card to hear your enemy's from behind? YES
                      So why are u still playing with a non EAX Soundcard? Dunno i think i must buy 1? dont i? YES

GL HF

Comment

I have same problem with volume of some sounds. UT03 with no problem but in UT04 i didint find any sollution yet (5.1 or 4ch doesnt matter) - especialy front channels are screwed up

Comment

Originally posted by ^ngelus
                          Does UT2004(epic) recommand to use creative soundcards? Yes
                          is it needed? no
                          Are u forced to buy such sound card to hear your enemy's from behind? YES
                          So why are u still playing with a non EAX Soundcard? Dunno i think i must buy 1? dont i? YES

GL HF
                          You don't need EAX or Creative cards to hear behind you. Also Nvidia SoundStrom has EAX and 5.1 sound. Some cheap cards can do 4.1.

Comment

I switched from my soundstorm to an original Audigy card and I haven't noticed the slightest bit of difference to sound quality. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by repiV
                              I switched from my soundstorm to an original Audigy card and I haven't noticed the slightest bit of difference to sound quality. Is this normal?
                              Audigy can do more but I don't think you will see much of a difference unless the game is made for it. Why did you get a Audigy card? SoundStorm has most of the same features.

Comment

Working...
                              X