Specific vehicular questions from a mappers POV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific vehicular questions from a mappers POV

I've started mapping for 2k4 already, but there's some specifics of how vehicles/turrets will work that are a little unnerving. If anyone from Epic could respond, it would be a great help:

1) Will vehicles be affected by physics volumes? It's been said the low-grav mut won't affect them, but will a low-grav volume work?

2) While no CTF/BR maps are being shipped in the game with vehicles, if a flag/ball carrier enters a vehicle, will there be some sort of way of telling that that vehicle has the flag? (ie. a glow , the BR ball thing, put a flag on top, etc) If not, may I request you please add this?

3) Will vehicles function correctly on static meshes? The bulldog has a nasty habit of sinking into them. As my map is almost all static mesh, this particular question is very important to me.

4) Will there be a setting to allow turrets to "respawn" after a certain period of time? (again, if not, I request it be added)

5) Can vehicles be "locked" for certain teams in any gametype? (as it in in Onslaught).

6) Can turrets be locked for certain teams?

7) What will be required to change vehicle/turret models per map? (ie. replace the minigun turret mesh with a custom one, or make all Raptors spawn with a different model)

Any response to any of these questions would be awesome. Thanks.

I believe you can continue mapping quietly for now, as EPIC SHOULD make sure these issues are adressed if they wan't old content compatible with UT2004. For now I think you should worry about map flow of driving vehicles. Test it out with a bulldog. Cause right now, even Antalus or Tokara arn't good for vehicles.

Right now my biggest worries are that new maps won't fit well with vehicles, either to big for players to run around in, to z axis oriented or to small for vehicles to go anywhere.

Comment

And how will bot pathing for vehicles work? :weird:

Comment

Two new types of pathnodes, one for land vehicles + one for air. Act the same as normal, but over much larger distances so you don't need to place as many.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuri
          Two new types of pathnodes, one for land vehicles + one for air. Act the same as normal, but over much larger distances so you don't need to place as many.
          Cool. Thanks. :up:

Comment

For now I should keep your mapping to the basics before you start going in to heavy detail.
            What I mean to say is don't poor all your effort into something that you might have to change dramatically.

If I were going to start mapping for UT2004, then I would only plot out a basic design and shape for my map, and if I were to create textures and static meshes then I would be doing this.

The areas where your vehicles are concerned I would leave until the end of your mapping, or as near to the end as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatrix
              I believe you can continue mapping quietly for now, as EPIC SHOULD make sure these issues are adressed if they wan't old content compatible with UT2004. For now I think you should worry about map flow of driving vehicles. Test it out with a bulldog. Cause right now, even Antalus or Tokara arn't good for vehicles.
              Old content is irrelevant. Vehicles are a function of the map itself (not the gametype)... Like a powerup or a weapon !

It doesn't matter whether Antalus or Tokora or whatever works with vehicles ... they won't have any.

You only need to make a map playable with vehicles if the mapper actually adds a vehicle to the map.

The question about whether or not you can see the flag or ball in a vehicle is however, very important, so that mappers can add vehicles to new CTF and BR maps (designed with vehicles in mind).

I want my BR-Ballblazer !!! :up:

Comment

Of course, I know I personally will be spawning cars in all types of maps to drive them around

Comment

Bombing Run with vehicles would be retarded.

Originally posted by Mort_Q
                  The question about whether or not you can see the flag or ball in a vehicle is however, very important, so that mappers can add vehicles to new CTF and BR maps (designed with vehicles in mind).
                  While CTF with vehicles would be sensible, Bombing Run with them would not. It would be like adding cars to soccer or basketball.

Now a new gametype in which cars would be used to push the ball in Bombing Run around might make sense, i.e. a kind of polo game, but regular Bombing Run is just that, a run by human players in the same way that a football or basketball player runs the court/field with the ball. Bombing Run isn't like golf. The running is instrumental to the game. It shouldn't have a cart for the players.

Comment

1. Not sure. I do believe they are affected by water though.
                    2. Clueless
                    3. Vehicles (or atleast the bulldog) uses the karma collision. Because maps in UT2003 only have simple karma for ragdolls, it's buggy as hell. Count on it that vehicle maps in UT2004 will work fine.
                    4. Don't know what happens to turrets (with that I mean, do the turrets get destroyed, or is only the player using it vunerable?) - if they get destroyed, I take it they'll respawn.
                    5. Perhaps, and if not, it should be easy to make a mutator for it.
                    6. see 5
                    7. I take it the turrets (and vehicles for sure) use the same codebase, so it shouldn't be too complex.

Comment

Working...
                    X