Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Upgrading my processor without new fan

Hi all,
    I thought I'd turn to the more tech-minded of the forum to pose this question.
    I've currently got a 2100xp which is operating fine in my comp, at about 52 degrees. I've come across a 2400 for free. I was wondering if it would be worth putting this in, and also, if the fan could cool it enough realistically to not pose a danger of over heating.

cheers.

wowa 54F for a AMD XP

thats LOW now if thats 54C thats getting a lil hot

if thats in 54F than yes slap the sucker in.

Comment

Well it won´t be that much faster than you old but if it is for free. You know the name of your cpu cooler? I have a Athlon XP 2400 myself and use an arctic cooler Copper Silent 2 TC (should be around 20 euro/$). The temp is around 53 C - 57 C depends on usage.

Comment

stick it in. should be fine. my globalwin was rated to xp2000 but now cools my slightly clocked xp2200 no probs. you could get a new fan that pushes more air like a delta design but you may want ear plugs. i use a oem 80mm fan at 3000rpm with a 80>60mm converter plate:up:

Comment

thanks a lot for the advice ppl. ill try it later and update you all.

time to get the bloody heatsink off

Comment

Better use some thermal compound, too.
            http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm

You can use this tool to monitor the CPU temperature. You can also set a temperaure limit for a forced shutdown.
            http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/CPUCOOL.HTM

Comment

Originally posted by anarkist
              thanks a lot for the advice ppl. ill try it later and update you all.

time to get the bloody heatsink off
              If its not too late
              Be real real careful removing that heatsink. That’s why im now running he 2200, cracked core OUCH!

Comment

hehe guess what, i cant even get the heatsink off! its like glued on and clipped 6 times! I'm gonna have to take everything apart to get it out

and sorry to hear about your cracked core, ill be careful with mine

Comment

It should be fine:up:

oh yeah, I was just wondering, is 55*C at full load for a 2700+ AMD ok? I dont know too much about temp.

Comment

yea, amd decided they should be smart and add ihs's on their new a64s . They left it up to the hard core modders to remove it and risk breaking the core.

Comment

55 C should be alright. Athlons are hotter than Pentiums and afaik they are specified to take up to 80 C. As long as you don´t get heat crashes or something (and you won´t get them with 55 C) then your CPU is doing fine. My own CPU was running with 63 C this summer, without any problems. However I set a forced shutdown at 65 C just to be on the save side.

Comment

Working...
                      X