Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
    has a nice window-system (I guess KDE or X or whatever,)
    I just want to point out something that may help you understand the GNU/Linux GUI system. When I was first learning Linux it took me a while to understand this, because I was used to the monolithic Windows model.

Xwindows is a standard for a windowing system that is most frequently used in Unix/Linux.

XFree86 is the implementation of that standard that is by far the most common in Linux distributions.

A "window manager" is a program with works with the Xwindows implementation to handle the placement and borders of the windows. You can run XFree86 without a window manager, but all the windows will be drawn in the upper right corner of the screen, and you won't be able to move them. Not very useful.

There are many different window managers available, ranging from minimalistic to ridiculously ornate.

KDE is a "desktop environment" (which includes a window manager called "kwm"), which is a suite of applications that are created to run together and provide a consistent interface. The other major open source desktop environment is GNOME, but there are other, lighter-weight DE's such as XFCE.

I hope that helps clear some things up for you.

Now some other miscellanea:

FreeBSD is NOT a type of Linux, it is a flavor of Unix. If you want to play games on your new alternative OS, FreeBSD is an even worse choice than Linux, because there are practically zero commercial games available for FreeBSD. You may be able to play some Linux games through FreeBSD's Linux emulation, at best.

If you have an ATI card, you may be disappointed by the performance under Linux. ATI is slowly coming along with their Linux drivers, but all reports that I have read state that they are lower in performance than their Windows counterparts.

Nvidia drivers are as good as, if not better than their Windows versions.

IMO, KDE is not a good thing to be running when gaming because it is a bloated memory hog. It's not terribly difficult to run a simple window manager (my choice is IceWM) instead of KDE when you want to play games, and then switch back to KDE when you want to work.

People who say Linux is "total ****" for the desktop are people who are either impatient or not technically inclined. I'm not trying to be insulting, it's just that there's no other reason to say such a thing.

You can get just as much done with a Linux desktop as you can with a Windows desktop, it just requires an initial investment in learning which may be distasteful to those who just want to click an icon and go.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the "click and go" mentality, but people like that need to understand that some people enjoy delving into technical stuff.

Since you are saying that the very reason you are looking into Linux is to learn something new, you will probably find it quite rewarding.

Comment

all very true. The great thing about linux is the choices. Use kde when you want everything nice and at your fingertips, switch to a *box when you want performance. Same with ever type of situation you would need on your computer-do it how you want.

/me hopes 911 reads that

Comment

no way

Comment

no way

Comment

Wow, thanks for all that Logy. I certainly had no idea of the differences between window-managers.

As for hardware, I have a GeForce3, so drivers shouldn’t be a problem by the sounds of it.

Again, thanks for making things clearer.

Comment

Mr Brownstone, as others have said, Mandrake is probably the easiest distro to get up and running, but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, so to speak, I can't reccommend Gentoo highly enough. I learned more spending a week installing Gentoo than I did in 18 months of using Mandrake. Have fun!

@191: To say that linux is "total ****" for home use simply highlights you as either ill-informed, incompetent, or both. Most linux didtro's come with all the software you'll likely ever need fior home/office use. Yes, some apps for Windoze are better than the linux equivalents, and vice-versa. Big deal. That doesn't make XP "total ****" either, it just means you have a choice, and choice is a good thing.

Comment

Re: Re: UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

Originally posted by Logy

FreeBSD is NOT a type of Linux, it is a flavor of Unix. If you want to play games on your new alternative OS, FreeBSD is an even worse choice than Linux, because there are practically zero commercial games available for FreeBSD. You may be able to play some Linux games through FreeBSD's Linux emulation, at best.
                FreeBSD is not Linux, correct. It's better. It's more stable, more reliable and more secure. Games generally aren't written for it, but linux games running under FreeBSD's linux emulation generally run at least as well as they do on linux.

That said, if you don't want to get your hands a bit dirty, you probably won't want FreeBSD (may as well stick with Windows).

If you're stuck on Linux, Gentoo is probably the way to go (especially for games).

Comment

Useful thread :up:

I've decided to do exactly the same thing as you. I work with windows all day every day, and I'm a bored of it. However, I need to keep it on my home pc so I can do those little extra bit of work from home when I need to.

I dummy run installed Red Hat on old P2 233 a few months back, and found it quite boring. A guy at work was raving about Gentoo, so I wiped Red Hat and installed that. Nothing worked first time, but I was in my element learning new things which is exactly why I wanted to install linux

I've just ordered a new PC, on that I'm going to dual boot Windows XP and Gentoo Linux. I only really play UT2003 with any regularity, so booting back to windows to play other games isn't really a problem for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X