Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

Please forgive the flimsy veil to prevent me putting “OT:” in front of the subject-title. Also, I have already tried a search for “linux distro” in these forums but nothing recent has shown up, so I figured I’d start a nice new thread.

. . .

I am growing weary of using and working in Windows. It’s not that I don’t like Windows or indeed Microsoft, and it is not that I think I have done everything that can be done with it; but it feels like I have. I need something to rekindle interest in my PC again, and I think that a dual-booting WinXP/Linux setup might help.

So, which Linux distro do you recommend? I tried Mandrake and Caldera a few years back, so my understanding is very limited. However, I am a programmer of almost a decade so I am not afraid to get down and dirty with the command-line if the need arises. Saying that, I really want a no-hassle distro — something easy to setup, use, has a nice window-system (I guess KDE or X or whatever,) good for gaming and developing, and a decent community backing it up.

What say you?

I use Mandrake Linux 9.1 (9.2 to arrive at the end of october) with great results when playing UT2003. It performs as good as on my Windows-Machine.

The Setup was very easy and comfortable, the usability is great.
    Lock and Feel is just as I want it (I had to configure Red Hat 9.0 a little to get it right but Mandrake had the perfect feeling out-of-the-box).

Game installation was quite easy too, though you have to read up on some additional UT2003 installation infos since some problems may arise (for example Mandrake uses "Supermount" which has to disabled first via Mandrake Control Center and the latest nVidia drivers have to be installed which was really easy even if you are a n00b on linux like I was).

I guess there are a lot of other Distro-Users out there but my experience with Mandrake was perfect.
    It was my first try with Linux and I managed to get UT2003 running in less than 3 days - and I guess thats good for a newbie.

AndyX

Comment

For home use (gaming, typing, etc) Linux is total ****. Stay with Windows XP, imo it is as stable as Windows, and the fact that Linux doesn't support dirext X, makes it a horrible gaming platform. I had Red Hat 9.0 for a month or so and i went back to Windows because i got frustrated with Linux. If you have a lot of time at your hands and want to learn new stuff and don't mind doing things a million times before looking it up for a week, Linux is the way to go :up:

Comment

I dunno. I have RedHat 9.0 installed and so far it looks like a nice OS although I'm not much into Linux, so my experience is quite limited (kinda like yours, Mr. Brownstone ). However since majority of commercial software is guaranteed to work under RedHat Linux, I dare to recommend this distro (although many of my friends who have deeper knowledge of Linux use Mandrake and say that RHL is not that good).

But in the end, the decision is up to you.

Comment

http://www.distrowatch.com/index.php?language=EN
          make your choice
          I personaly yet use Mandrake 9.2, and UT2003 and UT works fine.
          Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by 191
            For home use (gaming, typing, etc) Linux is total ****. Stay with Windows XP, imo it is as stable as Windows, and the fact that Linux doesn't support dirext X, makes it a horrible gaming platform. I had Red Hat 9.0 for a month or so and i went back to Windows because i got frustrated with Linux. If you have a lot of time at your hands and want to learn new stuff and don't mind doing things a million times before looking it up for a week, Linux is the way to go :up:
            for the unknown:
            http://holarse.wue.de/?content=allespiele

there are MANY games for linux, it is just not that easy to install them. but for ut99, ut2k3 and q1-q3 is linux the best gaming os.

@topic:
            if you have experience with linux try to build your own distro:
            http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
            else i prefair red hat.

ps: http://www.linuxiso.org/

Comment

:glares at 911: I have used winxp and linux both, and trust me, winxp is really not that stable after a while. There are many bugs where if you press a certain option in a certain order, it will hard lock the comp. Every single time. But yea, developers decicions to use dx does hurt linux a lot.
              well i was using mandrake 9.1 for a couple months, and it was very simple. It has probably the best installer out of any other linux distro, it is all graphical and can resize ntfs partitions and automatically set up a dual boot system with winxp. The rpm packages (to install linux progs) are painless and very noob friendly. The ut2003 installation was very simple, the hardest part was installing the nvidia drivers. But those too are simple, you just press next a couple times, and then edit a line or 2 in a configuration file. The ut2003 installation is similar to the windows installshield. It is easy to do some basic system configuration and general use with out coming near the command line, although i would not recommend it. Mandrake also uses kde 3 by default, which is pretty nice, but many find it too bloated. But you can always install any other window manager and use whatever is to your liking. Mandrake also has very good automatic hardware recongnization, so unless you have some very, very obscure hardware or a dreaded software winmodem, you will have no troubles there.
              I am currently in the process of installing gentoo, it is very hard, all text based, but i hope it will be worth it. :/
              So go out there and download the 9.1 (or 9.2 if you can tind them) isos, burn the three cds, and install it. In about an hour, you will have a dual boot system, so you can always switch back into winxp if you feel the need.

Comment

The only games that will run better on a Linux then Windows are ID software games, John Carmack only uses OpenGL as far as i know, and Linux only support OpenGL. For normal use Linux just is not the way to go. Why go through all the trouble if you can do it just as good (or better) with windows.

Comment

what about windows besides direct x is "better"?

Comment

Re: UT2003 Linux users: Which distro do you recommend for gaming?

I’m not getting rid of Windows, I’m just bored to tears with it. I want a different OS to fiddle around with, both to educate myself and to try and ignite some interest into something which I am becoming increasingly apathetic about.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                    I am growing weary of using and working in Windows. It’s not that I don’t like Windows or indeed Microsoft, and it is not that I think I have done everything that can be done with it; but it feels like I have. I need something to rekindle interest in my PC again, and I think that a dual-booting WinXP/Linux setup might help.
                    I’m not arguing about which is more stable; my XP installation is rock-solid and I know Linux is too. I’ve had more than 10 years of Microsoft and I just need a change.

. . .

Thanks for the suggestions all. It sounds like Mandrake is the most n00b friendly, so I may go with that one. Along with RedHat these seem like the best choices for me, but what about Lindows?

Comment

lindows the big joke in linux world
                      it can't recognize a geforce2mx and you pay for downloading Gimp for their server, welcome to an absurd world
                      So that's what i think about lindows

Comment

LOL, thanks. Mandrake it is then.

Comment

gentoo and debian are my wotes

use em sometimes and like em =)

(run WinXP mostly though)

Comment

ok
                            forget dual-boot.
                            forget running some kind of weird emulators for running crossplatform-applications/frameworks under your platform. (okok, settle down, some lowtech-things DO work...).

i personally prefer to boot my machine, and WORK/PLAY with it. without annoyances or reboots.

if you need a box to work with, which does not need a reboot every two days or so, install unix.

if you only play those dozends or so commercial unixgames which are out there install unix.

if you are using microsoft-things, and i mean directx-games or native-calling exe's (e.g. office), then be as consequent and install their os as well.

that said, i like freebsd most, because:

a) you can compile everything later, after installation, when you need it. (the system automatically loads down all sourcefiles and dependent sourcefiles and compiles successfully)
                            b) configuration is simpler (no runlevels, a central configurationfile)

Comment

I’m not planning on running any emulators, but I’m definitely going to dual-boot.

I’ll check out FreeBSD, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X