Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom species support in UT2004?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Custom species support in UT2004?

    Currently in UT2003, if you have a character installed that uses a custom species, you won't be able to join any servers due to the dreaded 'incompatible game files'. Sometimes typing 'obj garbage' will help, sometimes not.

    Will this behaviour be improved for UT2004? Ideally, if you are trying to join a server using a normal character it should just work. if you try to join a server as a character using a custom species it should either tell you you can't use that character or default you to Gorge.

    #2
    If you use a custom character that's one of the default species, you'll still get defaulted to Gorge.
    Perhaps it won't look that way on your client, but it definately does for everybody else.

    What you really want (at least, I think) is the game to support custom characters.
    I agree, as long as it's something the server admin could set.
    Not everybody likes custom characters, as it has some negative aspects:

    People create a new "skin" which is a simple recolour, for instance Malcolm with organge armour.
    Hardly a skin if you ask me.
    Other skins are default skins, but with some clan name / nickname typed over it in Paint, 1 colour only, which looks awful.
    Then there's the idiots that create skins that are completely black, or invisible, maybe use lots of shaders making other people's computers grind down to a halt, which of course is simply cheating.

    Still, I like customizing, so I hope UT2004 will support custom characters better!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by RetodonIIX

      Then there's the idiots that create skins that are completely black, or invisible, maybe use lots of shaders making other people's computers grind down to a halt, which of course is simply cheating.
      Nobody forces anyone downloading custom skins. Except a few servers which push content, and that you can avoid if you don't like what they push to you. And I never saw any server pushing an invsible or fully black skins.
      So you're pretty the one responsible for which custom skin you are going to risk seeing online, since you'll only see those you've installed.
      You can also use the "force default model" option if you like the dull comfort of uniformity.

      Loric, an idiot who makes skins with lots of shaders.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by RetodonIIX
        If you use a custom character that's one of the default species, you'll still get defaulted to Gorge.
        Perhaps it won't look that way on your client, but it definately does for everybody else...
        In the case of a character using a custom species it would need to make you Gorge on your own machine too, as otherwise it could be used to cheat. At the moment, you can't join any servers if you have a character with a custom species installed, even if you're not using it, and the error message is generic and uninformative.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mr Evil
          In the case of a character using a custom species it would need to make you Gorge on your own machine too, (...)
          Well, the way I reason is that the real fun of using custom characters is that everybody else sees you as whatever it is you want to look like.
          When it's just you, and only when you just died, or won the match so you can watch yourself taunting, it's somewhat useless.
          In my opinion anyway.

          Comment

          Working...
          X