Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 or 1997, I'm not sure

Comment

Well, in 2000 I got dial-up, from which I upgraded to cable in summer 2003.

Comment

since 1995.... and i was once of the first to be earthlinks dsl guinea pig.... :/

Comment

dial-up in 1997
          cable broadband in 2001

Comment

Got dail up in January of this year, the same time I got my first PC upgraded to broadband the next month.

Comment

I can remember being on Prodigy (or maybe it was AOL) with a 2400buad modem. That old IBM 386 was a screamin machine, let me tell ya. They don't make em like that any more, thank the powers that be. :noob:

Comment

oh yeah i got broadband in like... 2002...

Comment

1997 dial up

Comment

that'd be before 98 atleast, i think it was like 96 maybe? anyway, **** dial up that took hours to get aol, haven't had aol since

EDIT: o and i've had dsl since 2002, since anything less than that doesn't count as internet

Comment

Originally posted by Nut_Bag
                      87 or 88 my Dad had a dial up account to Prodigy. Pretty cool at the time using our IBM PCXT and a 1200 baud modem
                      Originally posted by {DAM}MoxNix
                      Heh, many years earlier than 1999

Ah those were the days... Usenet, IRC and Telnet. Hardly any trolls and allmost no noob idiots back then. You had to install your own TCP/IP stack and then configure everything by hand to get it working before you could even connect to the internet.

Then along came Intel PC's, Windows, the world wide web, and AOL... Things really started going downhill then.
                      Originally posted by suibhne
                      'Course, at that time Prodigy was just a BBS; there wasn't an internet per se. I'll bet a lot of us were using BBS's back in the '80s. I still remember playing "Murder Mansion" on a local BBS in the mid-'80s - my very first multiplayer internet game.
                      Originally posted by Nut_Bag
                      True, at that time they were. I guess I'm just showing my age. I'm sure many of the users on here weren't even born yet when I was surfing the BBS.
                      Originally posted by {DAM}MoxNix
                      I ran a BBS back then. When Internet came along, it gave me access to the full Fidonet backbone and filebone at a much lower cost (no long distance charges!) as well as instant, easy communication via IRC with fellow sysops and coders.

Heh, I spent a lot of money on phonebills back then... Money I sometimes wish I had now...
                      Originally posted by Terial-DeVo
                      i remember having a 2400 baud modem, and i use to use that to connect to the BBS.

If you dont know what BBS is, then i am obviously OLD lol, but i am only 29 :/ I guess i have my dad to thank for keeping me ontop of things lol

BBS = Bulletin Board System
                      Originally posted by breadbaker
                      Can't remember before 1999 for sure.

Hell, I used to hang around BBS on 300baud acoustic coupler with a C64.
                      I remember the phone did not fit in it so I had to tape it on after the connection was established.
                      Originally posted by VG1
                      I can remember being on Prodigy (or maybe it was AOL) with a 2400buad modem. That old IBM 386 was a screamin machine, let me tell ya. They don't make em like that any more, thank the powers that be. :noob:
                      <nods> to the oldschool crowd. :up: 1985 here... I was hooked and fascinated by the first sounds of "modem-sex" ATZ ATL3 I remember connecting to BBS's with the old 300 baud modem and watching a line of text slowly crawl its way across my monochrome screen. I was hooked from that moment on to being online.

A year or so later I came upon the first BBS ever that would allow 2 people to be online at the same time!! WOW!! :up: Ahh... the memories...*&$@#NO CARRIER!

Comment

I don't even remember my first email address, it was something like r302s@sage.purdue.edu, 'cept I know it was a lot longer than that. That was back in '88 and my favorite thing to do was finger people on the net!

Second favorite thing to do was print something on a printer in some basment room across campus and go find it.

Years later I hear all these people talking about the internet. I'm thinking, what's the big deal? Dial in BBS's are way better than the internet. I didn't know about this new thing called webpages until I started seeing web addresses all over. So one day on a box of cereal I got a free AOL CD. I popped it in, connected with my speedy 1200 baud MODEM and tried to go to www.gatorade.com (the only web address I could remember at the time). 20 minutes later the computer crashed with the page half loaded! :haha:

That's when my addiction to the internet and upgrading started, probably late '95 early '96. It's hard to believe it hasn't even been 10 years, seems like a lifetime ago.

Comment

I got mine in 1998.

I still remember downloading at 4/KBps and saying this is fast compared to like 1 or 2/KBps..lol

Comment

Originally posted by ^OMFG!!
                            I was hooked and fascinated by the first sounds of "modem-sex" ATZ ATL3
                            Geeez... I rememebr typing those ruddy strings in to configure my modem...

*flashbacks*

*shudder*

Comment

Comment

I got it last week. :noob:

Comment

Working...
                                X