when did you get internet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, many years earlier than 1999

Ah those were the days... Usenet, IRC and Telnet. Hardly any trolls and allmost no noob idiots back then. You had to install your own TCP/IP stack and then configure everything by hand to get it working before you could even connect to the internet.

Then along came Intel PC's, Windows, the world wide web, and AOL... Things really started going downhill then.

Comment

I had broadband in 1999 and 56k about 3 years before that.

Comment

'90 or '91, can't remember for sure...

Comment

AOL on 9600Baud modem.

Back when you paid by the hour of usage.

**** I racked up some serious bills back then.

Comment

'96/97 with a 14k modem

Comment

Originally posted by Nut_Bag
              87 or 88 my Dad had a dial up account to Prodigy. Pretty cool at the time using our IBM PCXT and a 1200 baud modem
              'Course, at that time Prodigy was just a BBS; there wasn't an internet per se. I'll bet a lot of us were using BBS's back in the '80s. I still remember playing "Murder Mansion" on a local BBS in the mid-'80s - my very first multiplayer internet game.

Comment

Originally posted by suibhne
                'Course, at that time Prodigy was just a BBS; there wasn't an internet per se. I'll bet a lot of us were using BBS's back in the '80s. I still remember playing "Murder Mansion" on a local BBS in the mid-'80s - my very first multiplayer internet game.
                True, at that time they were. I guess I'm just showing my age. I'm sure many of the users on here weren't even born yet when I was surfing the BBS.

Comment

Originally posted by suibhne
                  I ran a BBS back then. When Internet came along, it gave me access to the full Fidonet backbone and filebone at a much lower cost (no long distance charges!) as well as instant, easy communication via IRC with fellow sysops and coders.

Heh, I spent a lot of money on phonebills back then... Money I sometimes wish I had now...

Comment

i remember having a 2400 baud modem, and i use to use that to connect to the BBS.

If you dont know what BBS is, then i am obviously OLD lol, but i am only 29 :/ I guess i have my dad to thank for keeping me ontop of things lol

BBS = Bulletin Board System

Comment

Can't remember before 1999 for sure.

Hell, I used to hang around BBS on 300baud acoustic coupler with a C64.
                      I remember the phone did not fit in it so I had to tape it on after the connection was established.

Comment

I think my family got the internet sometime 1996... Dial-Up of course...

Comment

When the original UT came out in 99, I had allready playd some U1 online... and I got internet long before that... not that I knew WTF I chould do with it... but I had it...

*EDIT*
                          I calculated it back to 1996...

Comment

I remeber a long time ago just getting a 2400 baud modem and AOL. I had that before the interent was even enabled on AOL. Man that was slow:noob:

Comment

early 1994, its my 10 year anniversary

My mother stood in line to get me Win95 since I wanted it so bad and I had to work. Broadband came in 1998, I was a beta tester.

Comment

i guess 1992, its been a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X