Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible Performance on a... mostly good system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible Performance on a... mostly good system.

UT2003 is getting to the point where it's almost unplayable for me. But it's not really lag that's the problem. I mean, I get very high frame rates, but the gameplay is stop, go, stop, go, stop, go.... It's horrible, even the mouse cursor suffers from this freezing every second or so. I really don't know how to explain it, other than my FPS counter says 60fps, but the game stops about every second, just for a moment though, but it's enough to drive me mad. And like I said, it even does it to the mouse cursor on the menu when the game is first loaded.

I'm running with all settings on highest, but my hardware should be able to support this.

Athlon XP 2200 (1.8Ghz)
    256MB PC3200 RAM
    GeForceFX 5900 128MB

I have a couple programs running in the background.

Norton Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security

I've already tried disabling Norton Antivirus auto-protect, but the game still suffers. Any help would be appreciated!

if you want a smooth gameplay, install dualboot, one for gaming other for work, you would be amazed in framerate diference.

My win xp pro gaming install gets more than 20 fps compared to the onther working installation.

install winxp pro for dual boot.

win xp xpro-- gaming insane fps
    win xp pro = working acceptable fps

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray
      if you want a smooth gameplay, install dualboot, one for gaming other for work, you would be amazed in framerate diference.

My win xp pro gaming install gets more than 20 fps compared to the onther working installation.

install winxp pro for dual boot.

win xp xpro-- gaming insane fps
      win xp pro = working acceptable fps

That's a good idea, and I might just have to try that, but I know there had to be something else causing this. My brother has the exact same system as I do (except his Radeon 9800), and UT2003 runs perfect on his computer.

Comment

256Mb RAM isn't that much tho.

Comment

I thought that maybe it's because I don't have enough RAM as well, but if that was the case, it shouldn't lag in the MENU, where there is nothing really in memory. No textures or bots or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Layziepop01
            I thought that maybe it's because I don't have enough RAM as well, but if that was the case, it shouldn't lag in the MENU, where there is nothing really in memory. No textures or bots or anything...
            That's weird. Have you installed DX9.0b?

Comment

I have had this exact problem and it has nothing to do with your hardware specs...it has to do with a bad/corrupted installation of DirectX. Check your directX installation and specifically check each component of DirectX...like the 3D and Network settings.

Your computer is trying to play the game faster then the server will allow, so you go fast..then stutter, then go fast, then stutter as the server keeps you in check.

If you try to play instant action, you may actually fly through the game at 150% gamespeed, as your own computer may not regulate your own game speed.

I was never able to remedy the problem, as my comp decided to not to allow an over-write of directx, and I basically had to reformat and reinstall the operating system. Hopefully you won't have this problem.

Good luck!

- Tye

Comment

So what do you recommend... reinstalling DX9.0b

Comment

Originally posted by Layziepop01
                  So what do you recommend... reinstalling DX9.0b
                  :up:

- Tye

Comment

Make sure you dust off your computer components as well(video card, mobo, etc). Dust, even a slight layer, can make your computer perform subpar.

Comment

sound?

i find that sound is perhaps the most overlooked aspect of unreal engine game performance.

this sucker is very sound intensive... and if you dont pull back the sound a lot... or have a top sound card, it can choke easily.

Comment

Originally posted by FLAGEL
                        256Mb RAM isn't that much tho.
                        Yes, more ram should the game run smoother. I had one stick die on me, leaving me with 256, and it lagged quite a bit. My specs were actually better than yours

If that didn't help then it would be a windows problem. You should really 512MB for gaming anyways these days unless you wan to micromanage your memory.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNcO
                          Yes, more ram should the game run smoother. I had one stick die on me, leaving me with 256, and it lagged quite a bit. My specs were actually better than yours

If that didn't help then it would be a windows problem. You should really 512MB for gaming anyways these days unless you wan to micromanage your memory.
                          nah, his "lag" i believe is a constant never changing thing. every second....it runs then stutters then runs then stutters. constantly without relief. perhaps you would get inconsistant "lag" problems with 256ram, (like when new players join, etc) but to get constant jolts every 1 second is something more of a driver or directx problem....considering his specs, of course.

- Tye

Comment

Try going to http://BLACKVIPER.COM/ and use the registry patches to turn off a bunch of the services running in the background in Windows XP. Or you can do it manually of course. Hope that helps.

Comment

How about cooling? High temperatures can cause all sorts of performance problems, including video "skipping", although with the leafblower that the 5900 has on it I doubt your video card is suffering much.

Comment

Working...
                              X