• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Sidekicker
    See sig.
    He clearly knows what hes on about :up:
    I don't defragging as being any more of a threat to a hdd as turning it off. It's a mechanical disk. When it stops spinning, there is always a chance that it will not spin back up again. Due to this, many do not turn a comp off unless they absolutely have to. There are many things that can be done to cause a hdd to stop functioning that are done every day many times.

I am not trying to flame or even to say that anyone is wrong here. Just that this among many daily things can lead to hdd malfunction and/or failure. If you don't want to lose any data, nothing is more proven than an old fashioned backup. I keep critical data backed up in many forms so that in the event of a crash, I am up and back to normal in a very short time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    See sig.
    He clearly knows what hes on about :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can set the pro version of diskeeper to defrag in the background whenever there's access to the hard disk. Not a good idea if it suddenly decidedes to chug along in the middle of a game for some reason...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I try to defrag roughly every 2 weeks. I always notice a diff after it's finished. After hearing about Diskeeper I decided to check it out. It sounds like a great utility. Thank you to those who posted it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: [ot] Defrag, or not defrag?

Originally posted by badger_fruit
    Questions regarding defrag ...
    1) How often should I defrag my HDD?
    Generally, never. It's a good idea to do it before you go and make a movie or something else that requires an extreme amount of data to be written without fragmentation. You could also do it right before you install a large game. Especially for games that work with a single large data-file (like Doom3) this might make a difference.

Originally posted by badger_fruit
    2) Does it really make that much difference?
    Depends on how you do it. Frequently defragging won't do you any good for ordinary desktop applications, including games. Only if you actually start writing large blocks of data can it make a measurable difference.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Probably just depends how often you add and delete large programs, folders from your HD. I'd say every 3 months or so. I only defrag about two or three times a year myself. I never see that big of a difference after I defrag, but supposidly it saves on the HD a bit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i do a nightly cleaning on my comp. first i run disk cleanup, then adaware, then spybot, then i defrag. sometimes i search add/remove programs for anything i might not want but thats only like once a week.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Win 98? All the time.

XP? Hardly ever, maybe twice a year.

XP and a jam packed hard drive?

Somewhere halfway between...

Spend money on a third party defrag utility?

Only for dummies.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I generaly run it once a week, it's good for ya.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i usually defrag whenever i'm bored. I just let it run in the background and continue to do other things as long as they're non-intensive (web surfing, IRC, reading blogs, etc.). Also, i like to defrag before and after any big installations. However, this is just me, you can probably get away with only defragging once every 3 months or so if you're lucky.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=Reclaimer=-
    Well I always defrag after I install or uninstall a big game or file.
    thats just overdoing it imo :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have recorded an increase of 65 FPS (from a measingly 5) simply after one good defrag. I am not kidding!:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: [ot] Defrag, or not defrag?

To defrag, or not to defrag: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous HD-lags,
    Or to take arms against a sea of waiting,
    And by opposing end them? To wait: to sleep
    No more; and by sleep to say we end
    The waiting and the thousand natural lags
    That the HD is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To wait, to sleep
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I use O&O Defrag.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1) How often should I defrag my HDD?

Well I always defrag after I install or uninstall a big game or file.

2) Does it really make that much difference?

Yes it makes the pc run smoother

3) Are there any non-microsoft utilities to defrag hdds?

Yes Diskeeper is great software

Leave a comment:

Working...
X