No announcement yet.

[ot] Defrag, or not defrag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to defrag roughly every 2 weeks. I always notice a diff after it's finished. After hearing about Diskeeper I decided to check it out. It sounds like a great utility. Thank you to those who posted it.

Comment

You can set the pro version of diskeeper to defrag in the background whenever there's access to the hard disk. Not a good idea if it suddenly decidedes to chug along in the middle of a game for some reason...

Comment

See sig.
        He clearly knows what hes on about :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Sidekicker
          See sig.
          He clearly knows what hes on about :up:
          I don't defragging as being any more of a threat to a hdd as turning it off. It's a mechanical disk. When it stops spinning, there is always a chance that it will not spin back up again. Due to this, many do not turn a comp off unless they absolutely have to. There are many things that can be done to cause a hdd to stop functioning that are done every day many times.

I am not trying to flame or even to say that anyone is wrong here. Just that this among many daily things can lead to hdd malfunction and/or failure. If you don't want to lose any data, nothing is more proven than an old fashioned backup. I keep critical data backed up in many forms so that in the event of a crash, I am up and back to normal in a very short time.

Comment

Working...
          X