UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    44 years old and you choose Violator as nick? Nahh!

Good post anyway. Personally I regret leaving the UT community, since I enjoyed UT more and its community is bigger and more healthy than the current, almost nonexistent, UT2003 community.

/Kronon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well i would just like a little of your time. i'm 44 years old never played any kind of vidieo game before unless it was with my kids and recived a asskicking from them. Atari, play station ect....
    Then one day my son came to my house and loaded a game on to my computer ( it was UT 99) and he had a Mac at home. So he'd come over and play it he was 21 by the way. I watch him play a couple times. One day when i came home from work i got on the computer and started the game played with in the game itself,it was all right, but not a lot of fun so i went online and played got spank didn't know a thing. this all happen about 14 months ago. by the time i started to learn how to play 2003 came out so i bought it.and started to play them both well that lasted about 2 weeks and i never turn 2003 on again. untill about 3 weeks ago. but thats another story.

Well i said i never played games that much before and if you think i suck at games you should have seen me on a computer. Well i started playing UT99 full on 5 to 7 days a week 3 to 6 hour a nite. Just couldn't stop. Now i'm pretty good, not great. But i know how to use a computer now , I also started a Clan and have my Own Server and also a Website witch i maintane. all in one years time.

Also brought at least 6 to 8 new players to the game and they have gotten others to join in. Also in the last 6 month about 6 new Clan have come to the game that weren't there before.

Well our Clan Added a 2003 server to our list of online gaming so now i play 2003 not because i like it cause i don't, I play it because 4 or 5 guys in the Clan like to play it.
    So this post isn't to bash 2003 it's to help UT99 if you enjoy the game PLAY IT,,,, TELL OTHERS THAT HAVE NEVER PLAYED IT,,,, start a NEW CLAN incorparate 2003 into your list of online gaming that wish to play both and keep it alive that way. I have put tons of time and the sum of about $2000.00 into my server and Website. Ut 99 is the game for me and don't worry some one out there will build a new master server if Epic shuts theres down for all who love the game maybe some one out there already has it.
    You never Know

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ahhh. Ok. This is a bit of betrayal, maybe abandonment on Epic's part. We all partly feel that way, sure, but if they started cranking out mutant clone games like diablo 2, I would have been upset.. (And yet I couldn't get enough of the Return to Na'Pali and Operation Na'Pali missions)
    When it comes to shooters like UT99 though, the formula was more like timing. A great internet multiplayer game that could draw a crowd to itself in a time that other shooters were trying to do the same thing. It succeeded at that and earned a loyal following. Epic has certainly gone further than most in repaying that loyalty. Did we pay for bonus packs? Hell no.. Can't say the same for other companies like Id, Blizzard, EA.. (valve?)
    Could they really continue to support the older platforms? Not under the current business model, maybe under a subscription (Gah!!) one? Doubtful. They've tapped the franchise for a while now, and hate to admit it, the dollar is what moves the mountains. UT99 just isn't making any new cash. They have no choice but to try and top the success of it and open a fresh market. Is UT2k3 the way to do it? Well..... since UT2k4 will be what the product should have been, I'll wait and see. With the bar having been set pretty high already, it's going to take a lot of new dazzle to draw people away from old favorites.

ps - totally agree on the visibility issues on UT2k3. Brightskins helps a little at least.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sure, add it.

Better idea, dont wait for Epic to make it.
    Get your favorite coders and mappers over to BeyondUnreal forums: UTR and after its made, tell your competitive league admins to use it, dont ask them to....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Re: Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by Imaginos
    I guess you could look at it that way. As far as Epic is concerned though, they have a feature-complete product and it is in the hands of the community to mod and add content to it at this point. They went so far as to release the source to a small group of programmers that are continuing the anti-cheat/exploit updates. For them to back up and put time and money into a finished product isn't feasible. To make UT2003 more attractive to UT99 players though.. there's a niche that some ambitious coder might try to make a name for himself attempting.. If he does well, there's likely a job offer to follow..

On the flipside of the coin, I'm happy to see UT still chugging along and I will admit it's still installed on my gamer rig. Like a first love, it's tough to let go.. While it's not as flashy and impressive as 2003, it's still the good people you game with online that keeps this game alive. It's got a ways to go, but I hope it breaks the longevity record of counterstrike, quake, Q2, all the classics. I know I'll do my part to help that happen. Daughter and I love Jailbreak with friends and Morpheus will forever be my favorite map.. Come what may though, the Epic crew needs new challenges. They move onward and upward looking to invent the next best thing. I will go along for that ride too, knowing fully well I will always have something to fall back to.
    In the meantime, embrace change. Try something new. Most importantly, let them create. Who knows what will come along next?
    nice post and i too liked jailbreak it was funny as all get out.... but i guess my only concern is this, if as you say they can not back up well......ut2003 is not exactly tearing up the internet if ya know what i mean..seems to me that instead of following a formula that worked and had a following they instead decided to ditch the old school players and create a whole new community well with one game a year which version do you get attached to i sure can not stand to plat 2k3 for very long periods of time as it gives me a horrible headache straining to see people on the maps ...so i just play UT till the cheaters tottaly take over then they can bot each other..peace man

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by Magwa
    Could it also be said that Ut2k3 is interfearing with the evolution of the GameUt99 see it just depends on what your point of view is looks to me both points are stuck with no relief in sight..
    I guess you could look at it that way. As far as Epic is concerned though, they have a feature-complete product and it is in the hands of the community to mod and add content to it at this point. They went so far as to release the source to a small group of programmers that are continuing the anti-cheat/exploit updates. For them to back up and put time and money into a finished product isn't feasible. To make UT2003 more attractive to UT99 players though.. there's a niche that some ambitious coder might try to make a name for himself attempting.. If he does well, there's likely a job offer to follow..

On the flipside of the coin, I'm happy to see UT still chugging along and I will admit it's still installed on my gamer rig. Like a first love, it's tough to let go.. While it's not as flashy and impressive as 2003, it's still the good people you game with online that keeps this game alive. It's got a ways to go, but I hope it breaks the longevity record of counterstrike, quake, Q2, all the classics. I know I'll do my part to help that happen. Daughter and I love Jailbreak with friends and Morpheus will forever be my favorite map.. Come what may though, the Epic crew needs new challenges. They move onward and upward looking to invent the next best thing. I will go along for that ride too, knowing fully well I will always have something to fall back to.
    In the meantime, embrace change. Try something new. Most importantly, let them create. Who knows what will come along next?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by Imaginos
    tl;dr

Maybe I'm late to the issue.. but it would be easier if those people in your camp would please consider continuing to play the game you like, and not interfere with the evolution of the game.

The original UT is plenty affordable and runs well on just about any hardware today. So that's a win/win right there.

Cheers!
    Could it also be said that Ut2k3 is interfearing with the evolution of the GameUt99 see it just depends on what your point of view is looks to me both points are stuck with no relief in sight..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    come on!

man... teh BIG difference between UT1 and UT2 are... TEH MAPS!

WAIT ! just think a little...

Just tell me WHICH UT2 map are SO GOOD than DM-Deck16 or CTF Face (like an example)

right

UT1 maps: ROCKS
    UT2 maps: SUKX :sour:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by -=007MIKE=-
    Please consider this as an official game type.
    tl;dr

Maybe I'm late to the issue.. but it would be easier if those people in your camp would please consider continuing to play the game you like, and not interfere with the evolution of the game.

The original UT is plenty affordable and runs well on just about any hardware today. So that's a win/win right there.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ~AFU~SirCruelT
    If they were looking to the future they would have named 2k3 something else instead of using the name of a successful game like UT to sell this upgrade to Quake 3. That means they WERE trying to recreate the success of UT. When a sequel is made to a game it usually sticks to the gameplay and just adds new maps, weapons etc. etc.
    I don't think using the unreal name had anything to do with sales IMO (or at least it wasn't =entirely= about sales ). The company that owns the name UNREAL TOURNAMENT made what they believed was a sequel to that game so they named it UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003.

YOU are of the opinion that the game is nothing at all like UT and thus it should not have been called that. Unfortunately for you, the company that owns the name thinks differently. So there you go. It's really just a difference of opinion.
    Originally posted by TheSpiritwalker
    no one is asking for a step back.. a step forward would be nice.. instead of the side step that 2k3 is.
    I agree. While I have enjoyed playing UT2003 (IG/CTF!), I'm not blind to its flaws (bad maps, sticky meshes, etc) and I wish the **** game had been made exclusively for the PC instead of being just a so-so console port. Hopefully UT2004 will be the step FORWARD that many of us thought UT2003 should have been... :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fecal Marmaset
    Become a level designer....you'll forget all about gameplay.:up:

:up: :up: :up: untill you have to BETA test it, of course:bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Killer 215219

What I think Unreal Tournament 2004 desperately needs is a 1on1 Duel gameype.

I AGREE 100 % .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    like the player-created rocket arena mod that shipped with ut goty?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What I think Unreal Tournament 2004 desperately needs is a 1on1 Duel gameype.

That is the only thing missing from the game for me - an officially recognised and supported 1on1 gametype. There's a large 1on1 community out there, and I think it should be recognised.

I know there's DeathMatch that can be limited to 2 players, but it's just not the same as some of the 1on1 Duel mods out there.

This is just my opinion. Please don't flame me for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    True
    Act like your talking to someone face to face,instead of typeing to a pc
    ventings good tho man,let it all out,just dont flame on members unless there asking for it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X