UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

After chatting with a variety of people in various networks, channels and forums, I noticed a trend: many want to see a classic game updated in a way they imagined it would be updated.

Even though Epic created something fresh and different with UT2K3, many UT1 gamers have felt a void with this release. These gamers love the engine upgrade and would like some elements of the old game to survive into the next generation of FPS shooters. Most UT1 players have shied away from the new game because the game play has completely changed and no longer feels like the best-selling game that created such a huge fan base.

Tim Sweeney, founder and president of Epic Games, said the following in an interview on 03/30/00: "Unreal Tournament is fun and innovative but, let's face it, it's just a game. It's hot now but nobody will be playing it in five years." Little did Sweeney realize just what kind of legacy Epic would create. With the 5-year mark only a year away from it's initial release, and UT1 still having twice as many players fragging away than UT2k3 does, we have to consider what UT has to offer that UT2K3 lacks.

I propose an official game type for UT2K4 that should please UT1 fans, close the gaps in the Unreal community and expand the user base in the process.

This game type will:
    • Take a leap from the UT classic mutator and perfect it to a point where it becomes a game type that is compatible with any of the current UT2k3/4 game types. Classic UT DM, Classic UT BR, Classic UT Onslaught. A game type is more likely to be embraced and played if it's an official game type rather than simply an added mutator.
    • Create the feel, and game play that so many UT1 fans prefer.
    • Change player physics to mimic UT1 (player speed, player camera position/size/fov, strafe distance/speed)
    • Change weapons fire rate/damage/knock back settings to mimic UT1

This game type does not have to:
    • Recreate visuals to look like UT1

Please consider this as an official game type.

Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by -=007MIKE=-
    This game type does not have to:
    • Recreate visuals to look like UT1

there would be some mad little noobies if they didnt get their warcow

Comment

Re: UT2004 - Petition for an Official Game Type -{Epic Please Consider}-

Originally posted by -=007MIKE=-
      Tim Sweeney said the following in an interview on 03/30/00: "Unreal Tournament is fun and innovative but, let's face it, it's just a game. It's hot now but nobody will be playing it in five years." With the 5 year mark months away,...
      d00d~ yer math sux. :bulb:

Comment

Become a level designer....you'll forget all about gameplay.:up:

Comment

Personally, I can't say I'd play this gametype (It's not that I don't like UT, I just don't mind, and in fact, embrace, changes in games. (That's a lot of commas.) (And a lot of parentheses.)) but I'm always up for more options installed.

Options are good, no?

Comment

That was the most original topic ever to grace this board :up:

Comment

Originally posted by CellBlock
              Options are good, no?
              too many options = too many different servers = players spread out more = problem we're having today? :shrug:

not saying its THE problem, but its a contributing factor, so many mutators and mods out that nobody can really find what theyre looking for unless they go with the trends

Comment

no

Comment

Sounds excellent. A lot of people have voiced disdain for the different physics and screwed up ratios and projectile rates, etc., but these same people also prefer the new engine, so yeah, sounds muy superbo. :tup:

Comment

We've been over this time and time again. Epic is looking to the future, not the past. They have made this abudantly clear, especially after they released that laughable classic ut mut for ut2k3. After I saw that it was clear to me that they have no desire to recreate the past.

Comment

This idea doesn't sound too bad. It seems like alot of work though. If the option is there I would play it.

Comment

Originally posted by yewnuhtee
                        too many options = too many different servers = players spread out more = problem we're having today? :shrug:

not saying its THE problem, but its a contributing factor, so many mutators and mods out that nobody can really find what theyre looking for unless they go with the trends
                        ... but does this outweigh the number of people who quit playing 2K3 because of how much the gameplay changed?

Comment

I was in the editing process as you guys where posting LOL

People will weed out the game types that they do not like, just like people skipped over "mutant" for UT2k3 and "dark match" for Unreal 1.

If the cards are played right, this will open the window for more players. Players that have not accepted UT2k3 because of the differences in feel. Nobody is complaining about UT 2k3's graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by oosyxxx
                            ... but does this outweigh the number of people who quit playing 2K3 because of how much the gameplay changed?
                            no, but it creates a more spread-out community of the people that do like the way it is

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJackSparrow
                              We've been over this time and time again. Epic is looking to the future, not the past. They have made this abudantly clear, especially after they released that laughable classic ut mut for ut2k3. After I saw that it was clear to me that they have no desire to recreate the past.
                              It is because Epic cared enough about the community to try such a thing that I have brought this idea forward. I agree that it didn't go all the way, but you do have to admit that it was a step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X