Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Kel
    I'm no physics major, but a lightning strike of the size of the LG's beam probably wouldn't be as loud as you guys expect
    Rough guess, that beam is no bigger than 3 inches wide(more likely 2)

That, and I'm not sure how a high-amperage bolt(as one would expect for it to do the kind of damage it portrays) would affect the atmosphere(natural lightning is high-voltage)
    A real lightning bolt is rarely over a centimeter in width, it's just super bright, making it appear larger. So in contrast, the lighning blast from the LG is huge, though from what I've heard, a lab generated strike (about 100,000 volts) makes a loud snap with very little bass rumble.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm no physics major, but a lightning strike of the size of the LG's beam probably wouldn't be as loud as you guys expect
    Rough guess, that beam is no bigger than 3 inches wide(more likely 2)

That, and I'm not sure how a high-amperage bolt(as one would expect for it to do the kind of damage it portrays) would affect the atmosphere(natural lightning is high-voltage)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bein in Florida, I've heard lightning strike my general indoor location a few times. It's sounds like a loud pop or hand clap. Sometimes it's accompanied by a pop like you'd expect to hear from an electrical circuit blowing, almost a snap if you will. I think it would be cool if you could duplicate the snap on headshots only, just to let the guy that got hit know exactly what happened to him.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wait a sec, it already has a thunderclap, the imapct sound.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -Twista-
    [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
    Rolloff=0.400000
    That's the setting I've been looking for FOREVER. Thank you, -Twista-!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bleh01
    No. That would suck greatly, which is probably why it isn't there now. See, when you make a game, you want it to not suck. Doing this would add to the suck, therefore, you shouldn't do it.
    28 WL rofl!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I doubt a slightly louder bang would be a problem, while adding to the enjoyment of the game.
    Remember also that the volume of a sound does not affect the radius in which it is heard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    People are starting to sound sorta hypocritical. We just got to the point that the sound in games really sucks, and hasn't improved at all in about 5 years. If that is true, than why would this tell you where the guy is?

It could be an onslaught only sound, because the maps are usually so large, and people are usually so far, it doesn't matter. It'd also be a great anti-camper device.

The lightning in the LG isn't even lightning anyways. How about for the next Tournament (hopefully powered by that sexy new engine), we have a new superweapon (I don't know why everyone hates it so much. It's not nearly as easy to get kill so many people as it sounds) called the Storm Creator (or something better sounding) which makes actual lightning. The lightning, being something like 15x hotter than the sun, would melt everything around it and totally destroy everything near it. Cars on pavement (and maybe people with head-to-toe armor) wouldn't be effected because it'd go through the car, into the wheels, and discharge in the pavement. It'd be a moving storm, like the spell in Black & White, except it'd have electricity flying everywhere, and zapping everything around it. Once it hit, you'd have to run like hell or jump like crazy to avoid. Things that conduct electricity (like minigun shells and the like) could be used to "aim" the lightning bolts, as metal conducts electricity quite awesomely. Just throwing something out there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I still stand by the "sucks" stance

The issue is while it would be nifty and make the gun sound like it hurt, its not practical.

None of the guns are that loud, if they were that loud it would create a huge cacophony of sounds and you wouldn't be able to hear anything over the din. That would not be fun at all. If you made just the LTG like that it would be the only gun doing it but you would be able to hear exactly where the user is (through wall and such) and put him at a disadvantage.

While I agree that the sound as is, sounds kinda lame (like you got hit with a taser and not smacked in the noggin with lightning), I feel that it works just fine for its noise level to alert you that you are getting shot at, with out being obnoxiously loud.

If it was worked for headshots I don't know, granted that would eliminate the issue of constant loud booms that would make the game suck. However in a way it might punish you for getting that headshot because as soon as you landed it everybody would know where you are (might be interesting but I think that would suck).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Saito
    bleh is right, it would suck more than anything has sucked.

Not only would hear it clean across the map and know exactly where the guy is (even when he is fighting somebody else and you couldn't see the shot), but it would mess with the person shooting its ability to hear what is going on around him.

IT would be cool the first time you heard it, and then it would just suck.
    How about just for headshots, then?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    bleh is right, it would suck more than anything has sucked.

Not only would hear it clean across the map and know exactly where the guy is (even when he is fighting somebody else and you couldn't see the shot), but it would mess with the person shooting its ability to hear what is going on around him.

IT would be cool the first time you heard it, and then it would just suck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Yarhj
    With regards to lightning leaving a mark... yes, it will. Whatever it hits will be severely burned, and possibly rather destroyed. If it hit the ground in front of you there would be a charred spot, or perhaps a small crater ( the crater not being caused by the lightning directly, but by the violently rapid expansion of the gasses within the soil, as they are heated to something on the order of 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which translates to precisely Holy **** degrees Celsius).
    Temperatures like that will do all sorts of funny things. Like create ozone. And ionise sand.
    Essentially, getting hit by lightning is considered a bad idea.
    IMO, it's just silly the LG doesn't leave a scorch mark, but not quite as silly as the white grease spot left behind by the shockrifle prim...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With regards to lightning leaving a mark... yes, it will. Whatever it hits will be severely burned, and possibly rather destroyed. If it hit the ground in front of you there would be a charred spot, or perhaps a small crater ( the crater not being caused by the lightning directly, but by the violently rapid expansion of the gasses within the soil, as they are heated to something on the order of 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which translates to precisely Holy **** degrees Celsius).

Edited for your grammatical pleasure!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Format Life:
    [Somewhat O/T]

Is it true that when a lightning strikes 15 meters away from you it really strikes 100 meters away from you?
    'Cause once a lightning seemed to strike about 15 meters away from me and my friend and then my friend said that it really stroke behind a forest (about 100 meters)... :bulb:

And does a lightning leave a mark when it hits the ground?
    I once saw a tree struck by lightning only about 200 feet away. All the bark blew off it at once and scattered over my street, and the tree itself was charred in many places. So if it hits a tree, you'll probably be able to tell which one. I don't think lightning actually hits the ground much though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [Somewhat O/T]

Is it true that when a lightning strikes 15 meters away from you it really strikes 100 meters away from you?
    'Cause once a lightning seemed to strike about 15 meters away from me and my friend and then my friend said that it really stroke behind a forest (about 100 meters)... :bulb:

And does a lightning leave a mark when it hits the ground?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X