Are there any 3.0+ Ghz AMD proccessors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any 3.0+ Ghz AMD proccessors?

I can't find any on NewEgg... I'm begginning to doubt AMD makes any.

Well technically even though they don't make a CPU with an actual clockspeed of 3gig +, the high end Athlons can compete directly with 3gig + pentiums. It's all about the amount of work per clock cycle, amongst other things.

Comment

The current FX line of processors kicks the but of intels top of the line P4 EE. A slightly overclocked FX-53 outperforms (at most tasks a gamer is interested in, word processing, encoding and exception but the AMD isn't too far behind) the more expensive top of the line P4EE.

In other words AMD doesn't have to worry about the heat problems that going over 3ghz causes

Comment

Mhz shouldnt be used for working out how fast a CPU is, its getting to the point that they are more and more out of sync with every release.

Comment

AMD do a 3000+ AthlonXP (equivalent of a 3ghz P4) upto a 3800+ Athlon64 - The FX processors are slightly faster than the standard Athlon64's and unlocked for overclocking by default.

Comment

The MHz Myth

Comment

MHZ is a good measure for intel processors, because that is their primary means of scaling their processors. To avoid going into too much detail, AMD concentrates more heavily on other methods to increase processor speeds, although alot of THEIR scaling is done by upclocking as well (and this isn't to take anything away from intel: 3.4 ghz air cooled is incredibly impressive.)

Comment

Originally posted by ejg
                The MHz Myth
                Nice link. :up: I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Comment

Working...
                X