X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by MidnightQ3
    To play the game at a competitive level, tracking the position of the enemy is fundamental, there should be no guesswork, no blurry camoflague player skins blending into the map, none of that nonsense. This is not a jungle warfare game of hide and seek. It's not splinter cell. It's UT, a fast paced shooter where the skill of the game lies in the moving and aiming, not in tactics that involve hiding in shadows and blending into the surroundings. I will never understand why people think that blending into a dark corner is part of the game's tactics. That's not the kind of game this is.
    So your ideas on how the game is meant to be played differs from how (apperently) the creators thought. That's not bad, that's why they made it possible for everybody to mod the game.

But the fact remains that the game is meant to be played as it came out of the box (that doesn't include bugs/exploits that may get fixed over time).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -=[BeR]=-
    /me agrees with every word. :up:
    /me too. :up:

VenomZERO is right too. No matter how you look at it, UTComp DOES make the game easier.

UTComp is designed for competitive play since competitive play has significantly higher standards than your average pub match.

I personally only play with UTComp on. I'm sure most skilled players do aswell.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    really it's not so much a matter of seeing or not seeing the other player. it's a matter of how easy it is for your eyes to focus on the player on the screen, and how your brain tracks the movements of the player you are aiming at. I think the invisibility booster is a good example of an extreme case of being hard to see. You can still see him, but it's just hard for your eyes and brain to track the other guy quickly.

To play the game at a competitive level, tracking the position of the enemy is fundamental, there should be no guesswork, no blurry camoflague player skins blending into the map, none of that nonsense. This is not a jungle warfare game of hide and seek. It's not splinter cell. It's UT, a fast paced shooter where the skill of the game lies in the moving and aiming, not in tactics that involve hiding in shadows and blending into the surroundings. I will never understand why people think that blending into a dark corner is part of the game's tactics. That's not the kind of game this is.
    /me agrees with every word. :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    really it's not so much a matter of seeing or not seeing the other player. it's a matter of how easy it is for your eyes to focus on the player on the screen, and how your brain tracks the movements of the player you are aiming at. I think the invisibility booster is a good example of an extreme case of being hard to see. You can still see him, but it's just hard for your eyes and brain to track the other guy quickly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VenomZER0
    utcomp make the game easier - end of story
    It doesn't make it easier or harder, it's just different. Yes, it's easier for you to see the other guy, but that other guy can see you just as easy, so that cancels eachother out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    utcomp make the game easier - end of story

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you think competitive players will play in the dark? think again. i'm just glad that there is utcomp.
    I never said they play in the dark. I think that they should play in the dark, because it's part of the game.

The reason "or else we can't see what we shoot at" is bogus, maybe it's the whole idea that you can't see them that well.

Personally I don't like dark levels, but that doesn't mean you should mess with the lights.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by El_Muerte_[TDS]
    No it's not, being able to somewhat hide in dark corners is part of the tactics.
    Having bUnlit=true for players is like playing Doom 3 without the darkness.
    you think competitive players will play in the dark? think again. i'm just glad that there is utcomp.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matrix bunlit true
    All I know is, this is how it's supposed to be. Why it was ever done the other way is one of the great mysteries of this game.
    No it's not, being able to somewhat hide in dark corners is part of the tactics.
    Having bUnlit=true for players is like playing Doom 3 without the darkness.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matrix bunlit true
    [screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Nickless/UT2004/Matrixunlit.jpg[/screenshot] All I know is, this is how it's supposed to be. Why it was ever done the other way is one of the great mysteries of this game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    can we put the commands in a config and exec it in game before joining a server and have it work?
    only with UT2003

Leave a comment:

• replied
    On the subject of player skins and brightness, stating the obvious, there is definitely stark differences in the player models and how well they appear ingame.

The little skinny blue players are much harder to see than the big fat red (and blue) players. Certain skinny models are harder to detect than others.

Most levels are either dark or have texture colors that are more friendly to the blue skins on some skinny player models, such that they blend in more and are difficult to see.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just don't play maps with that black skin bug like Compressed.
    Player visibility is fine in maps like Rankin if you adjust your display settings. (brightness, contrast, gamma, texture details)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wormbo
    Putting bUnlit or AmbientGlow into an INI file is nothing else than Voodoo. People do it because they believe in an effect, but in fact those INI lines are ignored because the properties in question are not declared as config properties in the source code.
    heh, finally. thx wormbo for the definitive answer.

so now my question is, can we put the commands in a config and exec it in game before joining a server and have it work? honestly I don't know why Epic hasn't built this stuff into the game, it's totally unplayable as it is with the darkly lit players.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Putting bUnlit or AmbientGlow into an INI file is nothing else than Voodoo. People do it because they believe in an effect, but in fact those INI lines are ignored because the properties in question are not declared as config properties in the source code.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X