Higher fps with new patch [Possible new bug]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher fps with new patch [Possible new bug]

Either there is something I do not understand about the new patch, or the patch has a bug in it.

With the new patch, you can add MaxClientFrameRate=XxX under [Engine.LevelInfo].
    Then, if you raise your netspeed to 10000+, you should break the 85fps barriere.

I've been testing this a bit.
    Firstly, it only works, if you actually change teh netspeed during the online session - and you have to keep repeating it every time the map/server restarts, or it will stay locked @ 85fps.
    That's issue one. Seems silly to me that you would have to alter netspeed every time you start a new map/match.

The second 'bug' I noticed happens nearly every time I cranked up the netspeed.
    As soon as I walk up/down some stairs or a bumpy terrain, the 'bug' kicks in - and I only can get it sorted back to normal when I enter a lower netspeed than 10k.
    The bug symptom: The whole screen is stuttering/shaking when I move around (regarrdless of terrain). Unplayable.

Yes, I tested this on patched servers.
    Yes, I tested it on older version servers.
    Yes, I tested it on various AntiTCC versions.
    Yes, I tried it on Safe Game servers. (Which leads me to conclude that the bug is not in AntiTCC or Safe Game).
    No, it's not the AntiTCC checks. This happens way after that's done with.

Am I missing something about the ini settings here?
    Or de we indeed have a bug?

Please disregard all typos. I'm typing in the dark. :bulb:

If someone has trouble with being limited to 85 FPS in this game, they have some SERIOUS issues.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealPlayer
      If someone has trouble with being limited to 85 FPS in this game, they have some SERIOUS issues.
      Previously I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that no-one would be able to tell any difference.
      But the testing conducted today and yesterday really changed my mind about that.
      I do see/feel the difference between 85fps and 120fps.

/me prays to that this thread won't be turned into another "the human eye can't percieve more than 24fps bla bla bla"

Ah well, too late I guess.
      Here we go...

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealPlayer
        that's not even the prob :/ .
        the guy is just testing and wanna know if some1 have the same 'bugs' like him :|. finally some1 doing something good and he get bashed around in a second :\.

Sometimes i think this community cant be saved :weird: :cry:

Comment

Yes the human eye can tell the difference up to hundreds of FPS.

But gaming you should be perfectly smooth after say 50FPS.

Plus your fps is probably dropping well below 85 a lot of the time, no?

What is your monitor refresh rate on? Maybe try screwing with Vsync as well. 70hz is acceptable for 90% of the population 85hz for 99% I think?

Comment

Originally posted by thomas997
            Yes the human eye can tell the difference up to hundreds of FPS.

But gaming you should be perfectly smooth after say 50FPS.

Plus your fps is probably dropping well below 85 a lot of the time, no?

What is your monitor refresh rate on? Maybe try screwing with Vsync as well. 70hz is acceptable for 90% of the population 85hz for 99% I think?
            50fps hehe, you're kidding, right?
            I would classify anything below 70 as 'unplayable'.
            But then again, I'm very sensitive.

My fps drop to 70-65 sometimes, yes - but by far they are 100+ (if they would be allowed to by the patch/server/netcode)

VSync is off. This has nothing to do with settings in the video card drivers.

Comment

It's not a bug. You are pushing your net speed beyond what your connection can handle and it eventually starts packing up and you get basically out of sync.

You are basically inducing LAG onto your connection by setting your netspeed so high.

Not a bug just player stupidity.

Comment

Get an LCD... problem solved!

lol, jk... anyways, I rarely get over 50-60 fps... no problem at all... in ONS I easely get <40, so I have to lower the details then...

... I play Doom 3 with 30fps and a heeell alot of mouselag! Realy tells how much faster UT2004 is!

Comment

What´s the point of allowing only people with 10000+ netspeed to have more than 85 fps?They already got a better ping,they shouldn´t have more fps too

Comment

Netspeed has nothing to do with ping Twista.
                    Anyway, the point is that the game simply wasn't made to run at more than 85FPS online. It was the reason the FPS cap was there in the first place. I'm not surprised this feature doesn't work correctly yet.

Comment

Originally posted by justgimmeaname
                      I would classify anything below 70 as 'unplayable'.
                      *types stat fps*
                      *average fps: 68*

*head explodes*
                      *grabs sledge and obliterates everything in the room*
                      *froths at mouth*

How do you play console games? Or watch TV? Or go to the theater? I average 35 FPS and it's perfectly fine. I'd consider 20 FPS to be choppy and 15 to be unplayable.

Meh, whatever. Your money, not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Panama Jack
                        It's not a bug. You are pushing your net speed beyond what your connection can handle and it eventually starts packing up and you get basically out of sync.

You are basically inducing LAG onto your connection by setting your netspeed so high.

Not a bug just player stupidity.
                        - sigh -

So suddenly my 4mbit/768kb ADSL line cannot handle netspeed 10001 - but handles 10000 just perfectly fine?
                        And I guess you don't want to hear about me always having played with netspeed 20000 since the day I got this connection 3 years ago?

Player stupidity? Yeah right....

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                          I'm not surprised this feature doesn't work correctly yet.
                          Why would they include it, then?
                          I think I might have configured my ini incorrectly/the servers are configured incorrectly.
                          I'm not sure. That's what I'm trying to find out.
                          Would be nice to get some input from some Epic eployee.. :up:

Comment

if i am not mistaken isn't max netspeed determined by the server?

Comment

I though the new patch's readme said some stuff about netspeed....

Comment

Working...
                              X