X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this for real? Whoa!

http://www.xforce3d.com/fps.shtml?CMP=AFC-affiliate

Thoughts?

It's harder to put into words... But when you can only see a computer game screen in your vision, and no monitor border or whatever, it becomes a whole lot more real. Just lean closer to your monitor and games seem a bit more real. I think the glasses might just be based around this, rather than projecting a full on 3d hologram or something as you're probably thinking.

Comment

After looking at their website....I'm still quite sceptical. Ive never heard of the brand before and if they were as sweet as they make them sound I would think they would have atleast a few sponsors. I also noticed their site tries really hard to impress you with vague words and bold lettering...dont be fooled, its probably just another cheap scam. And given the price drop they advertise from $149 to i think $49 proves the technology is not really that advanced. It sounds like any pair of 3-d glasses on the market that dont really work like "true 3-D".

Before I buy those I would have to read several reviews first...and low and behold there are none that I could find on them.

Save your money until this technology actually IS like virtual reality and is affordable.....which probably wont matte for a while with as realistic as games are getting these days.(ie Unreal 3 engine).

Comment

That technology has been around for a while, though it has never really caught on. I've never tried it myself, but from everything I've heard, its most significant contribution to your gaming experience is a huge headache.

What it does is actually pretty simple. The glasses have lenses that behave like LCD displays. They can be darkened and lightened instantly.

They are synchronized to the video card, which, instead of rendering the image from a single perspective, renders alternating frames from offset positions; from a "left eye" perspective, then a "right eye" perspective.

The glasses are coordinated with the display, so that when the "left eye" perspective is showing on the screen, the right eye of the glasses is blacked out. Then when the "right eye" frame is shown on the screen, the left eye is blacked out, and the right eye becomes clear, so each eye sees the perspective it is supposed to see to provide you with the illusion of depth.

The problem is, this amounts to an awful lot of flickering images, and requires twice the framerate of normal rendering to appear smooth to each eye. Apparently, this gives most people headaches.

Comment

Just 3D glasses. There is no trick. Think about why humans do have two eyes and not one :noob:
          In order to see what the glasses( and the second eye) give you, just close it, i mean one of the eyes, and try to move a little. U'll soon break something and will be disoriented cause u just moved into 2D-world where u cannot distinguish between far and near. Now looking at the monitor is the same as looking only with one eye. The glasses however do have disadvantages as well, main two are IIRC that double refresh rate is needed and a strain on the eyes so no 5hours ownage possible.

Comment

Plus you look like a dork while using them.

Comment

Like Gaal said, TWO eyes. So i am left out of the loop big time having only one eye. But then again I'm probably not missing anything since i couldn't use the stupid thing even if i wanted to. Everything looks two diamentional to me anyhow. I think i like being able to see at all.

Hey how far away is that thing? *SMACK* oh, it was right in front of my face to begin with, how nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Iapetus22
                Like Gaal said, TWO eyes. So i am left out of the loop big time having only one eye. But then again I'm probably not missing anything since i couldn't use the stupid thing even if i wanted to. Everything looks two diamentional to me anyhow. I think i like being able to see at all.

Hey how far away is that thing? *SMACK* oh, it was right in front of my face to begin with, how nice.
                Sucks.

Comment

I've seen this technology on display, and tried it out... not from this company, but it's the same tech I tried. The game I played was some no-name helicopter sim, and my main impression was that it flickered badly enough that I wouldn't want to try to play a FPS with the glasses. For games that don't require split-second decisions and smooth graphics, I suppose they could be okay, but like marshdabeachy said, you look like a dork while using them :bulb: :down:

Comment

Wonder how much they were paid to mention so many game names in one sentence.

Comment

This is the time multiplexing aproach of stéréoscopic 3D its low cost but its only interesting if you have high env vidéoboard and a very high end CRT monitor. Each of your eyes see only half of the frames that ares differents point of view one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygar
                        Wonder how much they were paid to mention so many game names in one sentence.
                        I don't think they got paid anything - watch ...

I love Unreal Tournament 2004 but I am looking forward to Doom 3 and Half Life 2. After playing the original Pacman, Ghosts and Goblins, Shinobi and the other classic games, I wonder how the next generation 3D games will fair for true playability?

I got paid nack all for that shameless plug of those games and it's just as easy for me to copy this text to a web server ....

Comment

I got those things YEARS ago. There were called the elsa relevators and came free with my riva TNT2 graphics card!

The one thig is, it does work, just with different levels of success depending on the game.

Mainly it loos like your PC is a hollow box with the game extending away from you.
                          FPS's were Ok and it did add a little to it. The best results were funnily enough with Tomb Raider. no! not just for Lara's assests but more for the menu system. If you set the glasses up right the menu hangs a few inches from the monitor.

The problem is that it doesn't work well for every game, it doesn't work well for every person (it may not work for people that have eye problems or people with epilepsy). I have 20/20 vision and it still gave me headaches. Plus you shouldn't use it in a room with a TV or flouresent ligiting as it really screws up your eyes

Personally I wouldn't pay even the "low" $74 for them. Thats way to high for a device that may not work for you or cause you pain.

Personally I'm waiting for the real VR goggles

Comment

I got these kinda glasses off a friend for christmas a while ago. Though playing timsplitters 2 was very cool in this view, there were problems. After a while, about, o, 20 minutes playing with these glasses, i got severe headaches and my eyed teared like crazy. If u look here...

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=404813

u can see is not funny.

Harsh

Comment

hmmm as i said somewhere else already...
                              i head those elsa glasses and a) they didn't work
                              b) i got headache playing with those at a friend's
                              and c) when you try to play some strategy games or.. things like diablo2, in short any non fps games you might as well go to hell to see snow :P

Comment

Working...
                              X