Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are certain memory... Thingies better than others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are certain memory... Thingies better than others?

I'm asking if certain types of RAM (e.g., buying the same 1 gb stick from different makers) will effect performance? If so, what is the best RAM one can buy.. As a matter of fact, what companies make all the best parts so I know when upgrading, what to buy... Sorry if its a bit demanding, but this could help more than me... Just the first query will do.

Corsair for RAM: http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/...707/index.html

Comment

Crucial and Kingston make high quality ram. Using different brands probably won't cause any trouble, but i'd buy them the same just to be sure.

Comment

It varies, however OCZ, cosair, kingston, and muskin do well in the high end. Find out what your mobo can handle and then buy a matched pair at the top speed.

It would also help to look into timings.

Comment

There are 'better' RAM names and brands, but the price/performance cost is horrendous. You'll be paying double what you'd normally do for generic or "slow" RAM for a small performance increase in benchmarks. Unless your PC is 100% top of the range, getting the expensive RAM is pretty silly, IMO the extra money could go towards an upgrade elsewhere for a better performance boost. I'd suggest getting Crucial memory, where you can get 512MB of DDR333 for about £60~5.

Other than that... AMD processors are best for gaming, and are cheaper than the Intel equivalents, but if you regularly set heavy number crunching tasks, or do a lot of video editing, then Intel may be the way to go.

Motherboard makes are down to personal preference, just check out reviews. Most motherboards perform the same as other motherboards with the same chipset. If you get an AMD processor, then I recommend an Nforce2 motherboard.

Hard drives... Maxtor are recommended for their stability - you have hardly any risk of it crashing on you (the chance is very very low anyway), but I've found they're fairly noisy. Other than that, people are split 50/50 over whether Seagate or Samsung drives are better. They're both very fast, and very quiet, and very stable.

Graphics, the whole market is split 50/50 between ATI/Nvidia. Just look at reviews and find the best performance/price. If you're just looking to run UT2k4 in all its glory, a 9800 pro will run that, and they're VERY cheap these days because they're being phased out. Whatever you do though, don't get a Geforce FX graphics card.

Power supplies... Look at the price/wattage ratio, and pick the one with the highest price with a fairly good wattage, e.g. 430 Watts. Antec or Akasa are my faviroutes. Don't cheap out on a PSU. You can pick up a 350W PSU for under a tenner, but it'll explode (almost literally) within a few days of use, and won't actually provide 350W of power stably. And if your PSU goes, it might take a few other components with it.

Comment

TwinMOS are known to make quality RAMs at affordable prices. They usually use the same winbond memory chips that the 'high-end' manufacturers like Corsair use. If the memory is just for "normal" use, you can go for some less expensive brand. If you want to overclock (like increase FSB), get Corsair, Mushkin etc (TwinMOS are also known as OC'ers dream, especially the winbond chip kind).
            Same manufacturer would be ideal when you get multiple sticks. Usually there's no problems in mixing, but just to be sure. Latency settings etc. may vary with different brands which may cause trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by KingNic
              Whatever you do though, don't get a Geforce FX graphics card.
              Um... Uh oh?

Is there a particular reason I shouldn't? My 5950 FX isn't that bad...

Comment

Whatever you do though, don't get a Geforce FX graphics card.
                Er.. Care to explain why, exactly? I'm very happy with my 5900..

Comment

The FX series struggles with dx9 applications when DX9 is actually active. The Geforce drivers for the FX series basically cut every corner possible, then disable DX9 effects and replace them with their own shoddy effects.

And to stop the Nvidia/ATi flamewar about to commence, The 6800 is dang good . But given Nvidia's PR over the FX series, it'll be a long time before I trust them, or their benchmarks again.

Comment

This place has never let me down: www.crucial.com

Comment

The FX series struggles with dx9 applications when DX9 is actually active. The Geforce drivers for the FX series basically cut every corner possible, then disable DX9 effects and replace them with their own shoddy effects.

And to stop the Nvidia/ATi flamewar about to commence, The 6800 is dang good . But given Nvidia's PR over the FX series, it'll be a long time before I trust them, or their benchmarks again.
                      Not flaming and I know it isn't high end but even my 5600 Ultra has done well for me. It may have to continue to do so until I can get a 6800.

Comment

....then disable DX9 effects and replace them with their own shoddy effects.
                        Proof ?

Comment

(I'm pulling these out of a google: Nvidia driver cheating)

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...?searchid=5313 << UT2003 cheating

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthre...threadid=44253 << Far Cry cheating (9800XT comes within 7FPs of beating the 6800 ultra when they're drawing the same quality :haha: )

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0426024897.htm << 3D Mark 03 cheating w/recent 6800 drivers

(At this point I'll note that I'm finding a lot of cheating for the 6800s, I wasn't aware of this and these finds certainly confuse the 6800/X800 debate)

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0523020130.htm << 3D Mark 03 cheating with FX drivers

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTQ5 << More on the subject

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAz << Again.

http://www.overlordsdimension.net/content.php?article.4 << More

Do I really need to go on? I take it you all saw the HL2 benchmarks as well? The response to the HL2 benchmarks were the cheats in Nvidia's drivers.

And I'll say this before some raging Nvidiot comes along (and yes I'm Atidiot), ATI have also been accused of cheating. They optimised their drivers with a new technique, which i forget atm, and when someone compared an image, pixel by pixel they found several errors. This is an optimisation, and Nvidia helped to carry the accusations of it along. Let it be noted that the optimisation had been in place on the 9600 pro drivers for over a year before it was introduce into the 9800 pro drivers (where it was first noted), and no-one noticed any artifacting, or missing shaders.

Comment

as everyone's stated, kingston and corsair have "high end" ram (like the hyper X series if i remember right).. if you are really gonna push your system they might be worth the money, but if not, look for something like crucial ram. thats what i have on my system. in fact, my roomie has the high end corsair, different mobo, but almost everything else is the same, neither of us are overclocking, and running some mem benchmarks, they get pretty much the same #'s...

Comment

afaik, Rambus ram are the best ram at the moment (rambus pc1066 = hypothetically ddr 4200, in terms of Gb/s) , but u need a mobo (i850e chipset for example) supporting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X