[OT]my computer is unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT]my computer is unstable

it locks up alot, internet stops working and it just sucks, i have my video drivers and chipset drivers. its a new computer by the way with my old hard drives in it. the mother board is nforce 2 ultra and i have windows xp with the service pack 2 on it. i have an nforce motherboard with a ati graphics card, could that be the problem??????!!!!!!????? help would be much appreciated thanks you!:sour:

format!
    i dont trust sp2...

Comment

Try checking the timings on your ram. My RAM (PMI Turbo) is rated at 2-3-3-7. The bios installed it as 2-4-4-7. The machine would lock up, especially on defrags. I used CPU-Z to check the timings ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ). By using that info I went into the advanced options in the bios (I had to hit ctr-F1 to get the advanced options) and changed the timings to 2-3-3-7. Ever since then it's been very stable. I did go back and change the timings to 2-3-3-11 because I read that Nforce boards seem to run better at that. I don't have the exact reason why that is, but my performance is as good as it ever was.

Comment

Give it cargo straps.. should keep it static...

Comment

btw: I have an nforce-3 board

Comment

ok vg 1 i shall try it

Comment

reformatting sounds like a good bet. Virus scan and spyware removal sounds like somthing you should do also. Running the program about RAM timings is also a good idea.

Comment

psh thats nothin my computer randomly reboots every so often and i have no clue why, ive gotten all new drivers and checked my ram for corruption to no avail... help

Comment

It could be overheating, especially at this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaFubs
                    It could be overheating, especially at this time of year.
                    If he's on the southern hemisphere it's especialy not at this time o' year

Comment

Re-installing the OS is always a good bet. Some try and say that you should trouble shoot and hack around till you get a stable system. Me I say, who has the time. Just make sure you have all your really prescious files safe on CD as well as all the latest drivers, virus killers (and update), service packs (SP1 for XP) and hotfixes.

I knew my few month old system was running slower than it should. A quick reformat took my 3dmark score from 3800 to 6300

Comment

hmm look if your hardware is dirty (cause it is quite often here)
                        check if you got any mydoom worms.
                        Get service pack 1 and 2 (and yeah the second is kinda good, except for the firewall).
                        Get yourself adaware (www.lavasoft.com
                        Get The Cleaner www.moosoft.com
                        And for hardware related stuff ask the others :P

Comment

Working...
                        X