Want three times as many keybinds?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent stuff :up: :noob:

I didnt even know about alt/ctrl binds - they'll be really useful as with all the MODS & muts i've got, plus the fact i like to set up a lot of speech binds, i'm forever running out of keys !!:down:

Right, now the hard part - remembering them all.... :haha: I've lost count of the number of times i've went to switch weapon to minigun or something and shouted "Kiss my ***" instead hehe :up:

Comment

My CTF setup, for the curious. It's controlled by the Delete and End keys, as follows:

Delete = speech "I'm on offense" | exec offense.txt
      End = speech "I'm on defense" | exec defense.txt
      (IIRC for the actual command in your .ini, remove the .txt extention and simply enter "exec offense" and "exec defense" -- not sure though, haven't played with this in a while.)

Contents of "offense.txt"

set input numpad 4 speech "Medic!" | teamsay LOW health/ ammo
      set input numpad 5 (another speech useful for offense)
      set input numpad 9 (you get the idea)
      set input middlemouse speech "I need backup!"

Contents of "defense.txt"
      set input numpad 4 speech "I'm in position"
      set input numpad 5 (defense- oriented speechbind)
      set input numpad 9 (etc. etc.)
      set input middlemouse speech "Enemy flag carrier is here!"

The reasoning behind it all:

Mainly, I wanted to be able to communicate the position of the flag whenever I was in contact with it. The speeches are well designed in that they include Teamsay messages which show the speaker's location, while the audio content alerts players who may not be paying attention to the chatbox.

I ended up using exec commands because I needed middlemouse to pull double duty. If I've got the flag, or if I'm chasing the EFC, I need to be able to let my team know where the action is but will most likely be engaged in combat at the time. Binding both of those to middlemouse with the option to switch between the two lets me pass on that info without taking my hand off the mouse (most of the area around my movement keys is already booked solid).

The rest of the binds are on the numpad. The ones closest to the mouse are the ones most likely to be used under fire, the ones further from it are more likely to be used in the absence of the enemy.

I'm sure there are plenty of other uses as well... as noted, I'm thinking I should set up some DM binds, and I suppose different arrangements for AS, ONS and BR might be helpful as well.

Comment

I had 10 sets of binds in UT99

CTF-PUB
        CTF-ladder
        TDM-PUB
        TDM-Ladder
        DM
        JB
        Zahltag
        Zeitkind
        Konosus
        noonraid

I used this to load them: http://www.unrealize.co.uk/xconsole.html you could have up to 10.

Thanks Mohl, I'll be setting it up again, wish I had a loader though LOL.

*edit- Discord that's a really cool idea

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
          set input numpad 4 speech "Medic!" | teamsay LOW health/ ammo
          complex binds arent working, so is this :heart:
          this is a pity because imho the only useful reason for such a reconfiguration would be.. taunts with text/voice, a bunch of them. For everything else 60-70 buttons are pretty much enough

Comment

Glad to know it came in handy! :heart:

btw, yes I noticed, you WILL get a small fps suffer when pressing/releasing the button ! What I recomend then, is that you instead of rebinding your whole keyboard to lest say altbind... you should make small .txt files for more keys like ctrl, shift, alt and caps... this also make them all easyer to reach!

Comment

Originally posted by Format Life:
              You got the list of gestures (like throat cut and the others)?
              All you ever wanted to know about UT2004 taunt animations

Comment

I like to setup alternate commands on my mouse for alot of things. In natural-selection, I used to have various buttons that when held down would change all of the buttons on my mouse, including mouse3, mwheelup and mwheeldown. I could just hold one button down and press mouse1, for example, to evolve into a skulk. I could then hold down another button and press mouse1 to evolve the carapace for my skulk, and then I could just let go of all the buttons and it would re-bind my mouse1 button to attack again so I could go off and fight.

I would of had to otherwise bind 14 seperate keys, but this way I could just bind 4 and have it just rebind my mouse buttons all the time. Also, I had another file for when I was playing as marines that I would execute at the start of the game. That would re-bind the 4 buttons to radio commands buttons, which would also all re-bind my mouse to the seperate radio commands.

Dead handy when you've got alot of binds that you need putting in convenient locations!

Comment

Thanks. :up:

Comment

:up:

Comment

Sweet DeepDubTrauma!

btw, about catdaemons point, anyone have a good list over all of those?! I know %m is for map, and %d is for date... use it in the screenshot tag... but who else is it?! %p for player? %w for weapon? %h for health?!

Comment

Nice post, thanks for the idea!:up:

Comment

%h = health
                          %l = location

Comment

(Srry for double post)

Anyhoo, I stuck Mohlraax's list of speeches and Scumgrief's list of animations into a text file and uploaded it in the event that anybody wants it for reference.

The URL:
                            http://www.apoc.org/~discord/speechbinds.txt

Comment

Rather than binding complex binds for communicating core information....I use teamspeak 2 in clan CTF matches. Most people on pubs are too ignorant to really pay any attention to the little lines of speech below (unless they have speech recognition turned on) but the ultimate solution is to ge a mic, get TEAMSPEAK , and then make sure you have a server all of your team-mates can use to talk on the same channel.

Hopefully this will make some people think twice before spending time tweaking your binds and messing with all those .txt files

Comment

Originally posted by S3Y3N
                                Rather than binding complex binds for communicating core information....I use teamspeak 2 in clan CTF matches. Most people on pubs are too ignorant to really pay any attention to the little lines of speech below (unless they have speech recognition turned on) but the ultimate solution is to ge a mic, get TEAMSPEAK , and then make sure you have a server all of your team-mates can use to talk on the same channel.

Hopefully this will make some people think twice before spending time tweaking your binds and messing with all those .txt files
                                Whoa. Wait. So you're saying that since most pubbers refuse to read the chat, the solution is using teamspeak? If they're not reading text, they're DEFINITELY not going to dl teamspeak, find the server where the rest of the players on thier server are, and start chatting away.

Comment

Working...
                                X